Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Who is Riding?

4K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  MattB 
#1 ·
went out for a 75 mile or so ride today...........was gorgeous here in south Georgia.......74 and sunny...........

#2 ·
Did the same. About 40 miles thru the hill country ne of Mesa, Az. Wanted to get a ride in before putting the bike up on the lift Monday for maintenace.
New rear tire, grease driveshaft and swingarm bearing, pull radiator to replace bad fan switch.

#12 ·
Yeah buddie. The second best thing to riding baby is playing with baby.

#4 ·
Too cold today to ride. Was mid 30's. Put on new Arlen Ness big sucker air cleaner. Was riding Tuesday,went to 66. Spring can't get here soon enough

#5 ·
The weather here in GA has been nice this winter. I've been out twice in the past week. Bring on Spring!

#6 ·
Here in north central IL the weather sucks, matter a fact IL sucks I need to move. It will be about 42 tomorrow so I might take her out for a spin only because it rained today and washed most of the salt off the road. Adding new stuff to her over the winter, if I can't ride I might as well dress her up nice and get her ready for a early spring...I hope!

#7 ·
I know I will get some hate mail :beat-up:, but it will be 75 degrees and clear tomorrow in So Cal. Going out with my son for a few hours prior to the Super Bowl, and cruise the back roads. :clap:

#8 ·
Missouri has had an unusually mild winter. I mean, its not Anchorage Alaska, but we usually do have a bit of snow, and usually a lot of rain and temps below 40 for most of the 'meat' of winter.

Last fall, I dunno, around November or so? I got a storage locker (living in an apartment right now since I'll be headed elsewhere in a little over a year) together to store the bike it. Bought a can of seafoam, found some Sta-Bil, got a couple of wood blocks to keep the tires up off the concrete, and was gonna pull the battery and keep it on a tender in the house (since there's not power in the storage unit).

Haven't put it in there yet. Been riding at least once a week almost all winter. Basically, if it's above 40, I'm on the bike. But, I've been riding in above 50 weather most of the time! Basically, I have a sweatshirt under my gear for 50~65 riding, and a sweatshirt and rain liner to cut the wind for 35~50 riding. I barely use that darn liner!

So I'm soaking it up while I can. Knock on wood, but it seems like we're on the home stretch for spring. The only thing keeping me off the road will be all the rain we'll probably have. But, every dry day I'll be out there! We haven't even had snow YET! (Except for one day, it snowed over night, was melted by around noon)

Knowing the weather around here, when winters are this mild, we'll be paying for it with a HARSH spring (either winter 2.0 with tons of snow, or thunderstorms and tornadoes), or it'll come back twofold next year, haha, but I'm soaking it up while I can.

I tell ya what though, I LOVE that fuel injection :p I've had a couple days where it was in the low 30's in the morning but supposed to warm way up, so I've commuted with the bike (Take the back roads it's not too cold). No battery tender (no outside outlets at the apartment), one such day it had been almost two weeks since I was able to ride, and so it hadn't been started or anything in that time period, just covered up. Pull the cover off, turn the key, hit the button, rumbling along waiting for me to get my helmet and gloves on! (And wait for it to warm up first of course, haha). None of that messing around with that stupid choke or waiting ten minutes to be able to give it throttle. Love it!

#9 ·
The temperature's been fine, but it's been raining for the better part of a week in SE Texas, and since I don't ride in the rain (at least not intentionally), I haven't ridden for that same week and I'm getting a bit antsy. Right now, tomorrow isn't looking too good, either.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
Dallas area here, I have been riding at least 2 days a week for most of the winter. NO winter storms here yet, just wet and cold, interspersed with Great riding days. But this is normal for us.

#13 ·
I've been riding several times during the winter months. I was out for a while on Friday and I'm planning to go out this afternoon. It's supposed to be about 38 or 39 F and the roads are nice and clear, so I plan to be starting her up in about an hour. :)

ride safe

#14 ·
Crazy weather

I got mine out for a 30 mile ride today while the sun was out. It got up to 45 here in NW Indiana. I've been lucky enough to get a ride in at least once a month since I figured early November to "put it away for the season". Every time I get back on its hard to think that spring around here is 3 months away yet!

#15 · (Edited)
Riding with "My Gal"

Back in November, after 11 years of asking, my wife decided she would try riding with me. At that time the only steed in the garage able to carry both of us was my Majesty 400 Scooter. The bobber has no passenger seat so it was out. We had a couple of good rides on the scoot but the wide seat on the Maj just didn't fit her.
Enter the Vulcan. It had just been put up for sale by a fellow I know, the price was right and she liked the pillion seat. It came home with us back in December, but we couldn't swing a ride together until today. Under sunny skies and temps around 60f we took a 90 mile RT over the Divide to Black Mountain for some Pizza at a joint we dined at on one of her earlier Scooter trips with me in November. Plenty 'o curves and lots of grins coming and going.:D
The 800A handled the curves and hills just fine and we both look forward to plenty of rides together here in Western North Carolina.
I am amazed...she even said "maybe we can pack the saddlebags and do an overnighter somewhere when it warms a bit!:kissing:

#17 ·
The lovely V9D is tucked safely in her snuggie, waiting until spring is really here and the salt is washed off the roadways. Until then, my wife's former bike ('10 Yamaha Zuma 125) takes me back and forth to work, as long as there is no ice on the roads (have only missed about 15 days so far this winter) and the 0730 temp is above 10 F (anything below that and the bike will not crank). Some say I ride because I am stupid, other say out of necessity. I say just because I love to ride, regardless of the time of year, bike or destination. Ride safe, my friends.

#19 ·
Last weekend was hovering around 70 so me and the lady packed an over night bag and meet up with 8 other riders and headed south to Panama city Beach. Stayed on the strip and played a little bit of Lazer Tag on sunday before headin home, was nice out so took the long way home. 250 Miles total for the weekend.
And of coarse stopped in at the local Kawasaki dealer to look at the new Voyager's but just couldnt turn loose of the 900custom.

#20 ·
Sounds like you had a great weekend, I just wish we had the same kinda weather here in IL. I also love to stop and look at the new Voyager's because I would love to have one for longer trips and they have so much more to offer. But like you probably, I have alot of time and $ invested into my 900 classic LT to pull the trigger on her. Ride safe!!!

#21 ·
38 degrees yesterday light misty rain - Put on some flannel lined jeans, warm socks and jacket with liner - got in 107 miles - Its nice having a big fairing out front!

#24 ·
I finally got out on my new 900 classic today for the first time. Temps hit 42 degrees in Pittsburgh. Was nice and sunny. First time on a bike for me in 25 years and there was nothing to it. Thanks to all on here for the useful info I've picked up in the last month or so. Cant wait to get back on tomorrow...

#26 ·
That's kind of what I've been doing. That way I have an excuse not to winterize it! haha.

#27 ·
125 degrees today and though I ride every single day of my life I avoid riding on days like this and when I do go out I wear long sleeved sweats jeans and my cut/leather vest with club patch. I also wear a bandana over my face or you end up burning blisters in no time flat

#28 ·
Yeah it's summer for that hemisphere huh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.