Memphis batwing experiences? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Memphis batwing experiences?

Hey all,

So got my bike a few weeks and Ive taken a few longer highway rides and decided my top priority is a new seat and a windshield. Im pretty set on the memphis batwing ...i love the look vs a gaudy out of place windhshield. However im worried about airflow during the summer...im also getting lowers and the wind deflectors that attach to the bottom of the fairing. How easy is it to take off and put on the fairing for those warmer days/summer when you want airflow and arent on the highway? Im aware they make simpler windshields that are ment to be removed with ease but again I dont like the look. Also does anyone have a recommendation for a size of windhsield? My main concern is just getting no airflow and being too hot in the summer but im tired of getting beat to death on the highway. Any input owuld be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:15 PM

so far i have had the slip streamer stealth shield and it didnt work at all, now i have the slip streamer ss-32-20 and it works well for airflow but like you i am interested in installing the batwing fairing for the looks but the price keeps me from doing it with out knowing if my comfort on the highway will suffer.

2007 custom
Hard Saddle Bags and top case
Fuel Gauge Mod / kuryaken Econo Cruise
Slip Streamer ss-32-20c and memphis shades lowers.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

comfort is fine, there is still a lot of air movement with out the buffeting, you choose the shield height, mine is a 5" shield, this bike is a day rider, on my classic i run a 9" for a little more protection from the elements while touring.. Lowers are must. Note ...the custom has a batwing that is specific to the bike.

see this thread ... https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=19853

Once you get the hang of it, the on / off is literally in seconds.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:27 PM

Check out this sight, they sell the a bat wing from Memphis Shades and if I'm not mistaken there is a quick disconnect kit you can buy also. They post a video on how it installs and works. Hope it's useful... http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

the one thing you will figure out real quick .... memphis shades controls the retail price of its products, they catch their retailers discounting ,,, its out of there real quick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

I love mine..... I've put a little over 15,000 miles on her now, and wouldn't like to be without it, especially in the rain...:-( I like to ride all year, so along with the added heated grips, I can comfortably ride down to the upper teens..... (with the appropriate cold weather snowboarder pants and leather coat) I use a 9" for wind protection...

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting'..... “what a ride”!' George Carlin
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
i like to ride all year, so along with the added heated grips, i can comfortably ride down to the upper teens..... (with the appropriate cold weather snowboarder pants and leather coat) i use a 9" for wind protection
bbrrrrrr ......

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I bought my batwing (with 9" shield) expecting to use it during cold weather and ditch it once things warmed up but I like it so much that I never ride without it. I have noticed that sometimes the air gets sort of stagnant back there and I start to warm up. Wearing just a t-shirt it's still comfortable but I wore a thick leather jacket most of last summer and that was not always so comfortable. I considered getting a 5" shield for warm weather but I think what I'm going to do instead is just get a nice mesh jacket.

Like everybody has said, the MS batwing is on/off in just a few seconds.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I loved mine on my Sabre . . . One of the best mods I did - Easy fast on & Off . . . Great protection . . . I found the best price at bikerhaven . . . They were offering a 20% coupon for all MS products when I bought using code MS20 at checkout - try it - who knows it might still work - if not don't check out . . .

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 12:47 PM
BOTM Winner, May 2013

Garage
When my wife and I bought our 900 Classic last year we had the dealer add a windshield. It was a Memphis Shades Fats with the trigger lock quick disconnect kit. I added a factory light bar last month and could not tip the driving lights up because the windshield was in the way due to the brackets pushing it forward. Rather than put out $400+ for a factory shield, I bought a batwing with a 12" shield. Since I already had the trigger lock brackets on the bike, I only had to purchase the supports on the shield side, bolt them on, and the batwing was plug and play. Now I wish I could find a good alternative to the ColorRite tri-coat so I can paint the batwing to match the bike. The local paint shop said that their camera wouldn't take a proper shot since it is tri-coat. I was hoping to just get base-clear to match, but it looks like I'm going to have to get the base and top coats from ColorRite for $34 each in rattle cans. I can't wait for warm weather so we can ride with the fairing though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode