Pikes Peak on 900 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Pikes Peak on 900

Anyone ride up Pikes Peak in CO on a 900? I am looking at taking a trip out there from OH to visit my brother and have thought about riding up it. He did it years ago on an old 400, but I am wondering about this bike having a belt drive and the road up there changing from asphalt to a packed gravel surface. He said it wasn't bad, I was just wondering if any of you guys have done it with a belt drive bike.

Also, with the air getting thinner at the higher altitude, wouldn't that richen the mixture on these bikes since they tend to be a bit lean from factory?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic - River Road saddlebags - LED lights - Run/Turn/Brake controller - 17" Slip Streamer windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
On the mixture thing- correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't that a non issue on a fuel injected bike? The various sensors (02, air temp, etc.) should make adjustments to the fuel mixture accordingly. That's part of why fuel injection is so much more efficient, it's always perfectly tuned. I could be wrong on that, but that's what I always assumed. I do know I've seen several comments from folks on here about increased fuel economy at higher altitudes.

As far as packed gravel, where I live, I have to drive on that pretty frequently. Just keep a good following distance so you don't end up straddling a rock bouncing down the road (and getting caught in your belt) and keep the speed way down so you don't kick one in there. Knock on wood, with all the gravel riding I've been doing, I haven't had any damage to my belt. Just a bunch of mud and dust

I've been looking (but not real hard) to see if anyone makes an aftermarket belt guard that covers the entire belt, so that something can't get lodged in there. The only stories of belt damage I've heard (most of which were still drivable for thousands of miles afterwards) were from a rock getting wedged between the belt and pulley and then pushed through the make a hole. I keep hearing that if the hole is in the middle of the belt you can basically ignore it, FWIW. Anyway, you might look around for a belt guard that covers the bottom too. If you find one, let me know! I'm still kinda paranoid that one of these days I'm gonna have a pebble in my belt. But, knock on wood, I haven't yet.

-John

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 08:43 AM

Drove to the top last summer and as far as i can remember it was paved all the way up once you get on the mountain. was in a suv not the bike however.

2007 custom
Hard Saddle Bags and top case
Fuel Gauge Mod / kuryaken Econo Cruise
Slip Streamer ss-32-20c and memphis shades lowers.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I'm still kinda paranoid that one of these days I'm gonna have a pebble in my belt. But, knock on wood, I haven't yet.
You have more of a chance being stuck some where with a flat tire and no tube or repair kit than you will ever have throwing a belt.

Quote:
looking to completely seal off yor belt is overkill to the n'th
plus 1 ....

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

so I talk to my brother again tonight and he is like "well, it's been a few years since I've driven up it" so I am probably good. looking forward to the trip next year

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic - River Road saddlebags - LED lights - Run/Turn/Brake controller - 17" Slip Streamer windshield
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 11:26 PM

Pikes Peak is not paved all the way. There is a lot of dirt section. Not something I would want to ride a motorcycle up. I stand corrected. All but 0.7 is now unpaved. Looks like a project by the Sierra Club has them paving it and should be done this Spring. The last time I went up it was about 5 yrs ago and there was a lot of dirt still at that time.

Mt Evans is paved all the way and is the highest paved road in the US. People take their motorcycles up it all the time.

What part of Ohio you from? I grew up in Lancaster.

Retired Military - US Navy, US Army, US Air Force.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT - Candy Red-Metallic Titanium

Last edited by Tokyojoe; 02-02-2012 at 11:31 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I live in SW Ohio near a town called Wilmington. About half way between Columbus and Cincinnati. Looking at riding to Mansfield this year and taking a tour of the old Ohio Reformatory where Shawshank Redemption was tape as one of my trips this year.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:43 PM

I rode up Mt. Evans in Colorado last year. At 14,265 feet, it's 150 feet higher than Pike's Peak, and paved all the way. I had a little trouble catching my breath up that high, but the fully loaded 9LT handled it just fine.

2007 VN900LT, red/titanium
OEM highway bars and luggage rack
OEM WS lowers
4.5 inch pull back risers
Kuryakin highway pegs
Stebel air horn
Utopia driver backrest on OEM seat
OEM gel seat for about town, and hauling grandkids
ISO grips
Jardine light bar
K&N air filter
Brakeaway cruise control
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:24 PM

Hi Bought my 900lt new july 08.Went west right away and ended up at the top of pikes peak ten days after it was new.Great ride ,good time,just DO IT!!!.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

definitely planning on it. just can't do it til next year. just started a new job a couple months ago and won't have enough vacation time to do it this year

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode