vulcan 900 vs the big boys - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

vulcan 900 vs the big boys

thinking of trading my vulcan 900 custom le in on a 2011 concours. after posting on the concours forum im finding that most riders think of the 900 as a leaners bike or not quite up to a touring bike.i agree the 900 is not a bike for the long haul but i dont think its a slacker either i realy like the 900 for its size and comfort for what i do.i also like the vaquero but the concours seems to have more of a thrill factor and some more modern tech goodies.i like the fact that the 900 is simple and easy to work on so less to go wrong any of you guys got any input on the two bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

I have ridden the Vaquero a couple of times but found it runs on the hot side.... Sixth gear wasn't good for much unless you topped 70 mph or better, otherwise it bogged down. Nice looking bike but not for me. I'd like to test ride a concours sometime in the future, as it looks like a fun bike, cheaper than a BMW, and less expensive to maintain. Gonna look for one of the moving caravan test ride activities that Kaw sponsored last year. You kill two birds with one stone.... a road trip and test ride. I disagree though that the 900 isn't up to touring. I did a couple 1500 milers last year and one 3000 mile to Sturgis the year back. Went to Sturgis, and then headed over to Wyoming, down into Colorado and back to St. Louie.... great trip!.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting'..... “what a ride”!' George Carlin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 PM

I agree that touring is ok on the 900.
Did several runs from massachusetts to north carolina and one to virginia over the last several years.
I do not ride much over 70 so I am not bothered by the high rpm's of the engine at that speed, prefer the back roads and time is not a problem as I am retired.
Several of my riding friends have the big engines and really like to tear up the highway so I tell them that I will meet them later
The 900 is great on gas and I only need to tank up half as often as my friends with the big engines.
The 900 is heavy enough to be stable at highway speed but light enough to be easy to maneuver at low speeds.
Maybe the 900 is an entry level bike but to me, an excellent touring bike.
Hayes21 likes this.

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 900 LT
Mustang seat w/backrest
Grip guards
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 11:59 PM

I hear the Concours is pretty powerful, I know a couple of people who absolutely love them. I also know folks who absolutely love the 900. I say ride one if you can and see what you think, heck, get both. I can't see anything wrong with having a bike for whatever mood you might be in at any given time. I've been tossing around the idea of adding a sportbike to the stable.
Hayes21 likes this.

2007 900 Classic LT(SOLD)
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I think my 900 is more than capable for easy 65-70 highway cruising (while still having passing power and get out of the way power). I think the guys that think it's a slouch are guys who like to cruise at 90+. Maybe I'm wrong but, that's what it seems like to me.

We haven't had bikes this big for very long! I was talking to a guy who rode motorcycle for 30 years and his 900 was the biggest bike he ever had, in fact he was commenting how nice it was to have a 'big bike' that was heavy and smooth on the highway. Looking around here you'd think it was synonymous with a 50cc scooter! Of course, our interstates are more developed now, and our average highway speed is somewhere around 300 miles an hour or something (okay, exaggerating a little). But still, I don't think the 900 is a slouch. I do lots of two up touring with it. I think the difference is, when you're wanting to cruise at 90+, I think it'll disappoint you. I'll agree it's a good beginners bike, in the sense that it's tame enough to pick up and learn, but I think it's a capable bike after that too. When I think of beginner bike, I think of a Ninja 250, or a Vulcan 500, or something along those lines.

I rode one of the older 1000cc Concours'. I didn't like it because it didn't fit be very well, BUT, aside from that, it was a super peppy, super nimble bike. Definitely handled well, and had plenty of power (And I'm sure the new 1400cc versions are all the quicker). But, for me anyway, I kinda like a lazy cruiser. My Vulcan is nice and smooth and easy, you can kind of lean back and just enjoy it. The Connie had really skinny tires and so it's braking performance wasn't the best (didn't like that) and it wasn't very stable, by that I mean it was super sensitive to control inputs and lean (high CoG helped with that too). I felt like it just had a lot going on, I like my lean back and go Vulcan.

BUT, the guy who owns it, has put 30k on it and repeatedly tours on it and loves it to death. I only rode it once, maybe you get used to it. Who knows. But there's my two cents, a Vulcan rider who rode a Connie once!

I'm planning on taking a 1,000 mile each way trip next summer with my soon to be wife. I don't have any reservations about it. We go down to Springfield, MO on it all the time and that's about 3 1/2 ~ 4 hours one way. Other than a rough seat (getting a Russel before the big trip), it does great.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 01-30-2012 at 12:32 AM.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank27949 View Post
I hear the Concours is pretty powerful, I know a couple of people who absolutely love them. I also know folks who absolutely love the 900. I say ride one if you can and see what you think, heck, get both. I can't see anything wrong with having a bike for whatever mood you might be in at any given time. I've been tossing around the idea of adding a sportbike to the stable.
Yeah I think one day I'd love to have a Ninja 250. They are supposed to be the best handling sport bikes Kawasaki makes, I rode my friends 250. It's not super fast but neither am I, the best part was nice low leans and carving up the corners. I agree, have one for every mood! If I were a millionaire, I'd have my 900, maybe a Goldwing, maybe a Voyager, some sportbike, a dual sport, a Harley so I have something to use all of my tools on (haha kidding). The possibilities are endless

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Top Contributor

The Concours looks like a sweet bike, if that's the style you're looking for. The Vaquero is a really nice looking bike to. I sat on one and it seemed kinda high for my diminutive inseam. Plus, both bikes are half again as much $ as the 900. I ended up with a V2K when I "stepped up". The 2000 actually sits lower than the 1700s.

Now for the 900: Yes, if you're going to cruise at 80 or above, you will get a little beat up and your mileage will suffer. But if you wanna cruise at 65-70, with or without a passenger, the 900 is a great bike. It's very comfy and easy to handle. And I don't know if there's a better bike for bopping around town. I loved mine (a Classic), and it was not an easy decision to trade it.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Braske View Post
.....But if you wanna cruise at 65-70, with or without a passenger, the 900 is a great bike. It's very comfy and easy to handle. And I don't know if there's a better bike for bopping around town. I loved mine (a Classic), and it was not an easy decision to trade it.
I have the 900, and bought an 800 for my wife. For just cruising around town, I'd much rather be on the 800. The 900 shows up with a little more grunt and stability above 65 mph, but they're both great bikes! Just wish my 900 had a comfy seat like the 800 does.

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Top Contributor

For the past 26 years, I've ridden mostly bikes 1200CC or larger. It's true that they are bigger, heavier, smooth on the highway, and feel comfortable and planted and have a ton of power. My 1800 Gold Wing is a prime example. But for the past few years I've discovered that there's no flies on a smaller bike. I can remember when a 650 was considered a BIG motorcycle. In fact, at one point, I turned down an offer to test ride a Honda 750 because I thought it was waaaay too big a bike for me. Seems funny, now.

I am moving to Alaska next month and my Gold Wing is for sale. I could have kept it, but I need the money, and besides, I really like my 900 Classic. It serves all my riding needs, and it's just really fun to ride. For a lighter "smaller" bike, it feels amazingly planted and solid on the highway and at higher speeds. It handles well in the tight twisties and is very comfortable--especially with my Russell seat. I guess it all boils down to this: If you have all that big power at hand but never use it, why have it? I think it's more fun to be able to use all of what you have than to have a ton of power and not be able to use it. Something like that.

Final analysis? IMO, the 900 rides with the Big Dogs all day, and when the big dog riders are bushed at the end of the day due to having to deal with all the weight, and sometimes slow handling of certain very big bikes, the 900 pilot can get off feeling good and not beat up.
Hayes21 likes this.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:58 AM

I had a 05 Concours before my Vulcan 900. I tried to get the concours set up to fit me but gave up and sold it. I always felt like I had to raise my head to see out front and the result for me was a very sore neck after a 30 minute ride. It was a very smooth bike and handled nice in the curves and I miss that part with the 900. The concours is also top heavy at slow speeds with the big tank. I haven't ridden a new concours but have been told it is about the same as far as ergonomics. The 900 so far is working very good for me and is the most comfortable bike I have owned (after installing a mustang seat). I am doing Sturgis this year and then to Colorado and back to Arkansas. I have no doubt the 900 will have no problems in the mountains or the interstates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode