post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Sissy bar 'third' brake light?

Hey all,

Okay so I was behind a VN900 today and I couldn't help but remind myself how hard it is to see that stock tail light when it's kind of overcast and nasty out. It's low and it's dim, and I'm looking for it!

So I think I'm going to convert the tail over to LED before the spring, but another thing I was thinking of, what if I stick an LED brake light on the sissy bar? Anyone done anything like that? Seems like there are some thin trailer LED brake lights that would fit there, find some way to hide the wires. What do you guys think? The idea being that it would be similar to a third brake light in a car, up and in the middle and closer to the eye level of the driver behind you.

Thoughts?

-John

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
This isn't quite what you're talking about but close...
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13276168303802
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
what if I stick an LED brake light on the sissy bar?
You mean like this?

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16368

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusjoe View Post
Well I was actually thinking up a little higher, light at the backrest. Gives me a lot of ideas though, and I think what he did could easily be adapted! (The idea being, getting the brake light closer to a drivers eye level)

I don't have/use a luggage rack, BUT his idea is more compatible with that if I did (and I didn't think about that when I was considering this, haha, guess that's why I asked you guys first). Hmm...

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 AM
Top Contributor

But instead of brake lights, I wired mine as running lights to be seen all of the time.

IMHO the best thing you can add on for safety is more lights. Both as running lights (front, rear and sides using the legal colors) and brake lights. In this picture the right turn signal is on as well... took me about ten pictures to get a shot that wasn't mid-blink.

I used the red http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...hts/web1007026, and really wouldn't mind getting a set of ambers to place on the forward-sides of my bike, perhaps right where the reflectors are on my forks. I figure that would be a good location for being seen while stopped at intersections.

(You guys gotta get out of the practice of asking questions in a model-specific area that the general Vulcan population might have some very good answers for, or in this case examples of.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vid
big grips, 19-42 tooth sprockets
rusty handlebars, rusty pegs, rusty mirrors
wrapped Cobra exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Last edited by Mambo Dave; 01-27-2012 at 03:03 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Check out Custom Dynamics Night Rider Light - I mounted one on the Sissy Bar of my Sabre - It was a Running light and additional Brake light - Get the Non-Sequential one that flashes bright 5 times then goes solid once the brake is applied. It was the best 24 bucks I spent on the Sabre . . .

Looks like they are 30 bucks now - But get the Non-Sequential Flashing one . . .

http://www.customdynamics.com/knight..._light_bar.htm

Here it is high on the back of my Sabre (as you can see I liked lights on my ass) . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5121.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	8889  

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 AM

How did you guys run the wires out of sight, I got the BackOff module and 6" LED that Sirius Joe put on his, but don't have a luggage rack to mount it so am wondering how to hide the wiring running down the sissy bar.

2009 Vulcan 900 LT
Light bar (35W H3 bulbs)
Crash Bar
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Top Contributor

Erm... hiding the wiring... lol.

I gotta admit I didn't do much to hide it other than to zip tie the wires up the one leg. Hard to see, but noticeable if you're running a very clean looking bike.

You may be able to find some chromed plastic channel of some sort, maybe like this one

or a smaller version of it, to hide the wires in for the sissy-bar leg.

The back of my sissy-bar's pad is a chromed steel plate (facing rearward). I guess you could drill holes and wire it yourself, sticking wiring into the padding. I just ran mine down. But I did drill 4 holes, and tap them for a common #6 machine screw (small screws), to permanently mount the lights after the double-sided tape-pads starting giving up. Much more stable now.

vid

Last edited by Mambo Dave; 01-27-2012 at 10:40 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I ran mine up the sissy bar leg as well - But once the wires reached the backrest, I loosened the backrest on the sissy bar and put the wires in between the backrest and the leg to hide them there . . . with proper zip ties and heat shrink, it looks fairly clean . . . If you wanted to really hide the wires, the legs are generally hollow - so a couple of well place holes and "Look ma no wires!"

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napom View Post
I ran mine up the sissy bar leg as well - But once the wires reached the backrest, I loosened the backrest on the sissy bar and put the wires in between the backrest and the leg to hide them there . . . with proper zip ties and heat shrink, it looks fairly clean . . . If you wanted to really hide the wires, the legs are generally hollow - so a couple of well place holes and "Look ma no wires!"
Man, if the tiny legs on mine are hollow, I'm not sure I'd trust having a passenger lean back on it if I drilled holes in it. But mine is an 800, yours may differ.

vid

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode