Both scootworks pulleys - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Both scootworks pulleys

If you have installed both SWP's - how many mph did it add to your "comfortable range"

example - before SWP's you were comfortable up to 65 mph. Now you can cruise comfortably at 75 mph. SWP's added 10 mph to your "comfort range"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 07:09 AM

I have the front SWP pulley and a rear custom 61 tooth pulley and I can say, Yes it is much more comfortable at 70, also adds about 10mph to top speed (don't know personally but the math says so).
A good source of info for this is http://www.gearingcommander.com/

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 PM

Excuse the hijack fellas. Bytehead, this custom 61 tooth rear pulley you mentioned....could you give us some info, if not the Scootworks. I want so bad to do something about the eyesore Kawi put on, but we don`t have many choices. I sent an email to Barons suggesting that a chrome cover would be worth their while to fab up, since a ton of us 9`ers would gobble them up in a hurry, but never heard back. Would love to see what what you have...thanks!

Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Roger That!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting'..... “what a ride”!' George Carlin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepeel View Post
Excuse the hijack fellas. Bytehead, this custom 61 tooth rear pulley you mentioned....could you give us some info, if not the Scootworks. I want so bad to do something about the eyesore Kawi put on, but we don`t have many choices. I sent an email to Barons suggesting that a chrome cover would be worth their while to fab up, since a ton of us 9`ers would gobble them up in a hurry, but never heard back. Would love to see what what you have...thanks!
I will get pic later but think of a solid disk with a pulley on the edge, no cut outs and no chrome just polished solid disk. Not pretty but i use saddle bags so you cannot see it anyway.

It is actually a blank for an HD that is used to make custom pulleys on a cut out machine.

I live in the Dallas area and found a custom wheel and pulley shop. Paid them a visit and explained what i wanted and they whipped one out, drilled holes to match my old pulley and mounted and shimed it.

Now comes the gotcha, a 61 tooth is one tooth too small to use alone, the belt will not tighten up so you get lots of noise from the loose belt. After the SWP front went on the belt is perfect.
I got the custom work done for 300 and am glad to get it done.

Keep in mind I also have a DARKSIDE rear tire at 195/65

OK here are the numbers from gearingcommander.com
rear 61 tooth is 6.6% difference for -249 rpms at 70
rear and front is 13.23% difference for -542 rpms at 70 = 3550 rpms at 70
top speed calculated for both pulleys is 119mph

One point of interest is the New SWP the reworked one is PERFECT no noise at all. But DO NOT order it from SW get it from MEANCYCLES.COM yes i had nothing but trouble from SW.

Now 70 is smooth.

I cannot attest to trying this combo out with a stock engine setup. I have jacked my HP up to 57+ ( it is possible with the right combo). But I have no prob with take off.

Also keep in mind for dyno test that the overdrive pulley will show less HP than reality so just add the percentage back and you are good.

Ok with that let the doubters flaming begin.
Any one living in the Dallas Area is welcome to test it out just give me a shout.

John
"I am a modern cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"
09 VN900 Classic
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
Old 01-27-2012, 10:17 PM

I run the front scootworks pulley, and I'm happy with it. If you take an hour to swap back to stock pulley, you can feel it's a bit peppier, but 5th gear... dang... it seems to be really winding up. So the SW pulley is on the bike...

The newer ones don't squeak... the older versions are known to squeak sometimes- as Kawasaki changed belt suppliers and I guess the teeth don't mesh right so no matter what you do, it still squeaks away. Gosh I'm glad they exchanged me the old for a new version without any hassle...

2007 Ninja 650R traded in and missed
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic current Kawi
900cc=55 cubic inches

Is there a Gadget page for us 900 owners???

Vulcan 900 "oily air filter" fix

Get 3-4 feet of tranny line from parts store that's the same ID as the stock vent line. Attach to jug, route hose up to bottom of fuel tank around wires and back down to airbox, cut off excess (leave a little slack so wires are NOT under tension) and attach to airbox. Reinstall everything.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 PM

SW did me right when I had front pulley issues

Some have obviously had issues dealing with SW but I'm glad I went through them directly for my front pulley purchase. When the squealing wouldn't stop the first season I owned a front pulley it was a simple email to get a replacement. When my zip code was inaccurate I rx'd a call from their front office to clear the error (nice lady) and the pulley arrived in a couple of days. Never dealt with MC so nothing against them. I just wonder what you do if a problem like mine arises and you have to go through a middleman. ??

JMO and experience.

Bonkers
2008 Vulcan 900LT Classic
28,000 March 2013
Mustang Wide Tour seat w/ backrest
Scootworks front pulley - 2009 version replaced with 2011 version due to squeak issue. Now returning at times with the 2011 model.
Tri-Star brake/signal/running light module (Great mod for more rear visibility)
VA Fork Lowers
Baron Risers
Primary Intake butterflys removed (uncertain if a benefit has been noticed or not)
K&N Air filter with rear air box rubber baffle removed
Old 02-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Top Contributor

I've been running both front and rear SW pulleys with a 200 on the rear for over a year and love it. I would have traded my ride so I'm glad I gave it a shot. Before the sw front pulley and the 200 upgrade I could go about 65 mph and I would be looking for another gear. Six months later and still unhappy with highway riding I decided to give the rear sw pulley a try and with both sw pulleys and the 200 now I can go TRUE 80mph very comfortable with no engine vibrations and I can see through my rear view mirrors very clear. Down side just like when it was stock oem now with this upgrades my speedo is way off. It reads i'm going 70mph but gps reas about 8 miles over. Now I can cruise with the big boys on a very comfortable 75mph+ all day long and still have plenty of power to accelerate when those moment arrive. The second downside is you mpg will decrease a bit but if you are that concern then you probably ride a smaller bike.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.

Last edited by V Twin; 02-10-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

V TWIN - thanks for informative response.

With your setup (both pulleys, 200 rear), have you ever felt that the bike was now too sluggish off the line or @ mid speeds around town? I am considering both pulleys + 200, but am concerned about loss of power with higher gearing.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkc501 View Post
V TWIN - thanks for informative response.

With your setup (both pulleys, 200 rear), have you ever felt that the bike was now too sluggish off the line or @ mid speeds around town? I am considering both pulleys + 200, but am concerned about loss of power with higher gearing.
Some have reported a slight loss of power but to be honest I believe you just have to adjust and learn the new shifting points. Also there're only a handfull or two of riders that truly have upgraded both pulleys and most if not all highly recommend it. Riding around town is a dream because you don't have to shift up or down as often as before and on highway I still have plenty of passing power even when two up and going true 80mph. Let me put it this way, I ride with a group of big boys and head to head I can keep up with a Fat Boy, Heritage soft tail and a VTX 1300 so this tells you there is no loss of power. Now my other friends with a Road Glide, Ultra Classic SE and the big monster of the VTX 1800 I stand no chance but it was the same before the upgrades. People pay top dollar for this pulleys even when used so give it a shot and if you don't like it you can allways sale them and possibly not loose a dime.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement