Belt for the 900 LT - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Belt for the 900 LT

I am buying a 900 LT this very afternoon. I have just realized that it is belt driven, not chain or shaft driven.
How much difference does that make in your ride?
How about maintenance?
How often should one replace the belt and how complicated is to do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 02:05 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouka View Post
I am buying a 900 LT this very afternoon. I have just realized that it is belt driven, not chain or shaft driven.
How much difference does that make in your ride?
How about maintenance?
How often should one replace the belt and how complicated is to do it?
chains, shafts, belts. each have their place in skoot'dom.
chains are best for high performance sportbikes. require maint w/short life.
shafts are best for large touring bikes. next to zero maint w/long life.
belts are best for large cruisers. quiet, min maint w/long life.
belts are the drive system of choice for big bikes, smooth power delivery like chain, quiet maint free like a shaft. w/o abuse it should last 100k or more.
they'r on these bikes for a reason.

not another boring list of mods;
14 guzzi v14, 14 Injun chieftain v18, 13 guzzi v7, 12 hardley 48
07 kaw v2k, 07 guzzi v11, 07 yam v17, 07 96ci 'lectraglide
06 88ci superglide, 05 hardley 883, 05 yam v17
04 zooki sv1k, 03 guzzi v11, 02 kaw v15
01 Honda 750, 00 hardley 883, 84 Honda v7 supermagna, 99 hardley 883
92 zooki v8 sport, 88 zooki 650 thumper, 84 Honda 500 thumper
80 Honda 360t, 78 Honda cb500f, 75 Honda cb750f
73 Honda cb500f, 73 Yam TX750 blow up bike, 72 Honda cb350t
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Just what I wanted to hear.
Thanks for the quick reply.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
To support what poncho said, I've been browsing/posting in these forums for a while now (ever since I got my bike), and I've yet to see anyone 'wear out' a belt. The only belt failures I've seen are the result of some sort of debris or foreign object. Plenty of folks around here are packing miles on their bikes, so, evidently, 100k+ on those belts is true!

I learned to ride on a chain driven sport bike. Rode it for a few hundred miles before getting mine, I wanted to start on something easier and smaller. It was noisy, plus the maintenance kind of stinks (gotta oil that thing every few thousand miles, and most recommend every time it rains). Power delivery is smooth on the 900, and I don't ever hear anything at all. Best part, I don't ever have to look at it or deal with it (except for the occasional look-over to make sure I don't have a tear somewhere). Better yet, I don't have to jack the rear up and oil it!

I will say someone did give me the advice of being extra cautious on gravel. The idea being that a rock could get kicked up and wedged between the pulley and the belt and punch a hole or just shred the thing. I haven't experienced any issues but heeding his advice I take gravel real slow (probably a good idea anyway on a bike)

Good luck!

John

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

There is no way on earth that I would ride on the gravel. It's a cruiser. It was meant for normal roads, not off road riding.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:47 AM
wocka, wocka, wocka

sometimes the road yor on just turns to gravel.. well if like to explore anyway. go slow.

not another boring list of mods;
14 guzzi v14, 14 Injun chieftain v18, 13 guzzi v7, 12 hardley 48
07 kaw v2k, 07 guzzi v11, 07 yam v17, 07 96ci 'lectraglide
06 88ci superglide, 05 hardley 883, 05 yam v17
04 zooki sv1k, 03 guzzi v11, 02 kaw v15
01 Honda 750, 00 hardley 883, 84 Honda v7 supermagna, 99 hardley 883
92 zooki v8 sport, 88 zooki 650 thumper, 84 Honda 500 thumper
80 Honda 360t, 78 Honda cb500f, 75 Honda cb750f
73 Honda cb500f, 73 Yam TX750 blow up bike, 72 Honda cb350t
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Villa View Post
sometimes the road yor on just turns to gravel.. well if like to explore anyway. go slow.
Yep. Or sometimes you just don't live in the big city! While they have been paving alot of these roads in the past 5 years, there are still quite a few gravel ones I have to deal with on an almost daily basis. It's not exactly off road these are primary public roads, I just don't exactly live in New York City!

Plus, like ponch said, sometimes it's fun just to see what'll happen if you turn right instead of left! I just go slow so that I don't kick any rocks!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Top Contributor

Drive Type, fact of the day!

Chains are the most efficient way to get power to the rear wheel. Thus the reason sport/racing bikes use them.

Belts are second most efficient in that some of the power is lost due to the natural stretching & recoil that occurs in the belt as you apply power. You would probably notice a difference in acceleration between our bike with a chain compare to the belt. But the belted bike should run about the same at cruising speed as it would with a chain.

Shaft drives, are the least efficient means of getting power to the road. This is mainly due to the heavy mass of the drive system itself. This means there would be power loss both during acceleration and while cruising at speed. Thus meaning your engine has to work harder all the time compared to chains or belts.

I'm not knocking any of these systems. They all have their proper place to be used. However, I am glad that our 900's have belts. They are easy maintenance and keep us from loosing to much power on what is relatively a small motor to begin with.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:25 PM

All of my bikes have been chains up to this point. I haven't have to do a thing with the belt since I got her. Just nice, smooth power delivery with no chain whine/rattle.

2006 VN900 Classic LT - Red and Black
Stage III Stock Pipes - K&N Filter in Stock Box - Amsoil - 170/80 Kenda Kruz - Saddlemen Explorer - Willie & Max Windshield Bag - Mutazu Passenger Floor Boards - Shorai Heavy Duty Battery - Kawasaki Lowers - Black Universal Trunk mounted on Mutazu Rack - Osram 70/65w Plus 50
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Pirate View Post
Drive Type, fact of the day!

Chains are the most efficient way to get power to the rear wheel. Thus the reason sport/racing bikes use them.

Belts are second most efficient in that some of the power is lost due to the natural stretching & recoil that occurs in the belt as you apply power. You would probably notice a difference in acceleration between our bike with a chain compare to the belt. But the belted bike should run about the same at cruising speed as it would with a chain.

Shaft drives, are the least efficient means of getting power to the road. This is mainly due to the heavy mass of the drive system itself. This means there would be power loss both during acceleration and while cruising at speed. Thus meaning your engine has to work harder all the time compared to chains or belts.

I'm not knocking any of these systems. They all have their proper place to be used. However, I am glad that our 900's have belts. They are easy maintenance and keep us from loosing to much power on what is relatively a small motor to begin with.
Belts are in fact the most efficient as there is no internal friction. Most belt driven bike sales literature highlights this as a primary benefit, along with low maintenance, high mileage, low drive lash, low er unsprung weight and quietness.
Sports bikes use chains as its cheap and easy to change sprockets and most don't keep their bike more than a couple of years. Sprockets and chain replacement interval is 30,000 kms or about 18,750 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode