Help with handlebar swap please - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Help with handlebar swap please

I would like to put some apes on my bike like maybe 12 or 14 inches. I have a 2007 custom and already have a pair of stock classic risers for the job. Am I correct that I want the non-dimpled kind or does it matter? Also, if I need to change cables what tools are required? I'm going to be doing this myself, so any tips or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanx in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Top Contributor

I've been watching your thread for awhile and surprised nobody answered. I just put mini apes on my classic LT , I went with 9" bars for I didn't have to mess with the cables at all and make it as painless as possible. I just called a buddy that just installed 16" bars on his custom and he said with the stock classic risers and 12" bars you may get away with rerouting your cable but if not he said it's not to hard to change them. As far as tools, it doesn't require any special tools. If you don't have some, I would go to wal mart and pick up a cheap set of metric allen sockets they come in a yellow plastic sleeve of about $10-$12 and they come in handy on our 9's. what ever you do, I hope you post some pics when your done. Good luck!

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 05:35 PM

I am going to come across as obnoxious at best, but I have never understood the appeal of ape hangers or even risers.
I know that everybody has seen those before, but it still begs the question: Why would anyone want something like this?
Doesn't the guy get sore after a few minutes riding like this?
Isn't it even dangerous to be hanging like an ape on his bike handle bars? I am guessing the guy crashed his bike at least a dozen times.

Last edited by mouka; 01-28-2012 at 05:37 PM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Good thread. Hopefully more people can help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VROC Number: 35103
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouka View Post
I am going to come across as obnoxious at best, but I have never understood the appeal of ape hangers or even risers.
I know that everybody has seen those before, but it still begs the question: Why would anyone want something like this?
Doesn't the guy get sore after a few minutes riding like this?
Isn't it even dangerous to be hanging like an ape on his bike handle bars? I am guessing the guy crashed his bike at least a dozen times.

I don't think anyone in their RIGHT mind would install apes like those or the exhaust like he has. I like the look of my 9" apes on my classic lt, I can't wait to take it out to see how they feel. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard rider View Post
I don't think anyone in their RIGHT mind would install apes like those or the exhaust like he has. I like the look of my 9" apes on my classic lt, I can't wait to take it out to see how they feel.
Yours are not bad after all. But in all honesty, I prefer the stock bars feel and look. It has a retro feel to it I truly enjoy.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmara617 View Post
Am I correct that I want the non-dimpled kind or does it matter? Also, if I need to change cables what tools are required? I'm going to be doing this myself, so any tips or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanx in advance for any help.
Dimples, or not really doesn't matter. Knurled or not does. I would highly suggest you get properly knurled bars... or better yet if you go above 10 inches, would be to pin the bars. Knurling will help keep the bars from twisting in the risers while riding (think panic stops, not highway cruising). It's basically just a non-smooth section of metal where the risers hold the handlebars.

If you get a set of Harley bars, the knurling will probably be in the wrong spot. H-D risers are usually spaced 3.5 inches apart where most metrics are spaced 4 inches apart. Be sure to get the spacing right for your application.

Pinning is where you drill a hold into the risers and through the handlebars once you get them at the proper angle and then slide a pin through the handlebars and into the risers. Then the handlebars cannot spin or rotate once installed.

Basic garage tools are all that's needed to swap out the cables... as long as you have a buddy to help drain the brake fluid (or get a Mighty Vac).

Good luck!
Bo

Last edited by boroop; 01-28-2012 at 08:22 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:18 PM

The Santee bars I used are smooth, but they fit the risers really tight. I got 12" bars with stock risers and I only had to reroute cables.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 PM

Mouka I think 50% of those who go to apes do it for the look, and the other 50% do it for their back. Apparently it's much less stressful for those with lower back/spine issues. Sometimes I like the look, sometimes no. As for your buddy hanging off the super high apes, dunno what to say, whatever floats yer boat I guess!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawhiskey View Post
Mouka I think 50% of those who go to apes do it for the look, and the other 50% do it for their back. Apparently it's much less stressful for those with lower back/spine issues. Sometimes I like the look, sometimes no. As for your buddy hanging off the super high apes, dunno what to say, whatever floats yer boat I guess!
It's one of those "don't waste your time discussing taste issues!".
Personally, I love the 1920s or 1930s feel of the stock handle bars. There is nothing that I would change to my handle bars.
The only addition I will make is crash bars.
Other than that, I am 100% satisfied with the looks and performance of my bike.
I have never had a chance to ride a Harley, but I did ride almost all the Japanese cruisers there is, and the 900 is right there at the top. Even the heel-toe shifter is better than all the others I have tried before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode