anyone using an oil cooler? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Question anyone using an oil cooler?

I'm curious about oil coolers and foundthis adapter on ebay.

Seems like it should work okay with a small cooling element, but dunno. Not even sure that I need an oil cooler. Maybe it's one of those things that is a "nice" but not really an "essential" add-on.

So, I'd like to hear your thoughts, especially from anyone that is using this adapter or other kind of oil cooler on their bike.

thanks!

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 05:13 PM

Had one on my Yamaha 700 Maxim. Was air cooled, and it did make a difference. On a liquid cooled bike, I can't see it helping nearly as much

2007 900 custom
DG Hardchrome straight pipes
Big Suck billet aircleaner
billet mirrors
Cobra short backrest
Viking leather bags
Cobra FI2000R fuel processor
Custom machined rear pulley
200mm Avon Venom rear tire
Kawasaki Custom gel seat
L.E.D.taillite w/ builtin turn signals

He with the most toys wins!!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 PM

Garage
I would think that adding an oil cooler would only help the bike out. I imagine it would lower the operating temperature of the engine.

After looking at that particular adapter though, I also think it would place the oil filter too far forward preventing you from reattaching the regulator.

dum vita est spes est - While there's life, there's hope

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmedic712 View Post
I would think that adding an oil cooler would only help the bike out. I imagine it would lower the operating temperature of the engine.

After looking at that particular adapter though, I also think it would place the oil filter too far forward preventing you from reattaching the regulator.
I agree with you, on both counts. Obviously, the bike is designed to work without an oil cooler and the addition of a cooler would/should lower temps, but how much? Dunno. I'd have to measure the regulator clearance, but it wouldn't be a real big deal to relocate since a bracket would have to be made to affix the cooling fins.

Something to think about, I guess.

thanks

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:46 AM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to philnadlol
Hi,

Never too hot.
Thermometer in place of oil cap. Sorry

"Always laugh to life"
... God bless the bikers ... and sorry for my english
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VN 900 Classic Tourer (2009)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Seems like a waste of time to me on a liquid-cooled bike.

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI NSX View Post
Seems like a waste of time to me on a liquid-cooled bike.
not entirely true, If you use the bike for long hauls you may want an oil cooler nut that tends to be on bikes that are used for long hauls and don't have the engine block as exposed as the vn900 does, ie sport touring bikes.

It wouldn't hurt to at least put a temperature gauge in to see what's it's running on your longer trips and see just how hot the oil is getting and if some kind of oil cooler could be of benefit.

-Jeff
Southwest Florida

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLD-2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
-Quick release windshield
Bell RS-1 Helmet for my fat head! XXL
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Dunno if it's a waste of time or not. That's part of what I was hoping to find out by posting the question.

The engine isn't fully water cooled, only the top end is cooled. So, that means the lower end, including clutch, isn't cooled by anything other than air transfer.

What I know is that in the bad old days, most all of the motorheads that I knew, ran oil coolers for both engine and transmission in their cars. Most bikers I knew, were dirt racers and an oil cooler wouldn't work well in that application because it would add weight and be too easy to damage.

My thinking is that an ounce of prevention is worth pounds of cure. Cooler engines and trannys run better and last longer. But, if it's really not worth doing, then I'll save myself the time, effort and expense. I'd like to be as sure as I can, which is the right answer. I'm also thinking toward the future, as I have my eye on a V2k.

ride safe

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 PM

Here's the way I look at it: if the engineers who designed the bike felt it needed one then it would have one on it. I had an oil cooler from the factory on my old '99 Nighthawk 750 but it was air cooled and needed all the help it could get.

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

This is interesting..... So after your place the adapter on to where the oil filter screws in, you still need to purchase the oil cooler and mount it where? I've done one long 5000 mile trip with my 900, and did not even think to be concerned about the oil getting too hot on a 500 6o 600 mile per day ride. I do know the weather was so hot that I pulled into a gas station and hosed myself down just to cool down a little during the heat of the day....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting'..... “what a ride”!' George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode