post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Pillion comfort question

Hey folks,

Okay well we've put a few thousand miles on the Vulcan 900 and I think we know what we need to do to make it perfect, but I do have one question;

My fiancee keeps complaining about knee soreness on the back of the bike. She's about 5' even, I've just got pegs, and she wears some mens tall hiking boots with a steel toe when we ride so she's got plenty of ankle support. Do you guys think floorboards (and thus being able to shuffle her feet back and forth a little) will help with that? Any other suggestions? Usually only happens when we're on the bike for an hour and a half or more at a time, but the problem is, when we're doing that, we're going somewhere, and once it's sore, it's sore the rest of the day, and we have to keep stopping to let her stretch her knee.

Anyone care to share their experience? I'm thinking floorboards, I find myself moving my feet back and forth on long rides.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I am thinking about the same thing for my wife, and floor boards so she can shift her feet around a bit. I know it helps me to be able to shift my foot position and relieve knee strain. My wife will be off her feet for a while (foot surgery), so if you do add floor boards would like to hear if they helped.

Thanks,
Russ

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Strongly recommend you invest in floor boards.
My passenger melted the sole on her right foot sneaker when her foot slipped off the peg.
Also now she can move her feet with the floor boards which has improved her riding comfort.

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 900 LT
Mustang seat w/backrest
Grip guards
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Top Contributor

It's all about flexibility. The more she can change postions during a ride, the better. Floorboards, definitely. I'd even look for ones with the little switchblade type highway peg that pops out. In the end though, if her knee bothers her while riding distances, you should just plan on stopping more often. It's not a big deal as long as you plan accordingly. As you said, once she's in pain she's hurting all day. That's no way to spend your time.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Top Contributor

I highly recommend floorboards and maybe looking into a Mustang seat, it will cost a bit but the investment is worth every penny. I and the wife could ride forever and not know what pain is. We both loved the passanger floorboard, she had no more pain in her feet and I had no more pain with having to clean off my pipes from her melted shoe on them.

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Do you guys think floorboards (and thus being able to shuffle her feet back and forth a little) will help with that?
Yes. My wife is MUCH happier now that she has floorboards.

Get a Mustang seat too.

Joe
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Are her legs too cramped? If that's the case you can extend the pegs down and/or forward a little bit. I believe I've seen these for sale but if not any good bike shop should be able to take care of you.

I put passenger floorboards on for my wife and she really likes them. The Kuryakyn boards I bought have five different spots to attach them to the bike so you get a little bit of flexibility if you have aftermarket exhaust. With the stockers, you are somewhat limited. You can get them in chrome (KY-4351) or black (KY-4357).

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
My wife is doing much better with floorboards as well. Her problem wasn't knees though, she was getting peg-foot (sore arches). We already did the Mustang Seat, next we're going for an AirHawk to help with her lower back issues. With the AirHawk I figure I can use it on solo rides too.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:29 PM

My wife loves the passenger floorboards over the pegs; she can shift to multiple safe foot positions, whereas on pegs, only arch, toe or heel, and even then, with the pipes right below, she has to be conscious of not touching the pipes.

2006 VN900 Classic LT - Red and Black
Stage III Stock Pipes - K&N Filter in Stock Box - Amsoil - 170/80 Kenda Kruz - Saddlemen Explorer - Willie & Max Windshield Bag - Mutazu Passenger Floor Boards - Shorai Heavy Duty Battery - Kawasaki Lowers - Black Universal Trunk mounted on Mutazu Rack - Osram 70/65w Plus 50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode