Rear brake pad question? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
twp

Garage
Rear brake pad question?

I have a 08 custom and I am wanting to up grade the rear pads. I am wanting something that will give me a little better stopping power and less brake dust on the back wheel. It stops ok with just me on it but when the wife is on the bike it feels it take twice as long to stop. An the brake dust is awful. I like to try and keep my bike spotless, but the brake dust is a pain in the a$$.
What would be a good brand and material ( ceramic, organic, kevlar ) or anything else to go with?

Thanks Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
How old are your stock pads? My 900 Classic LT, and my big 'ol butt, the back end seems plenty, in fact I have to be careful not to lock it up. Before you invest in pads, maybe play around with the rear suspension settings a bit and see if you can get more stopping power that way?

Just thought I'd throw that suggestion out there. I tightened my suspension up a little, the previous owner had it a little soft for me, and it made a difference on the rear stopping power. Not a tremendous difference, but a difference nonetheless. But, like I said, I have no problem locking the back up if for some strange reason I really wanted to, so I can't imagine the brakes needing to be any stronger (in other words, I'm curious to see what information gets posted in this thread, maybe I'll learn something!)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 02:34 PM

The front brake accounts for 70% of your stopping power. I'd start there rather than the rear.

'10 VN900DA
32,000+ miles

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
twp

Garage
Im a pretty good size guy so I had to stiffen up the rear shock. It might just be me I don't know. This is my first bike so I realy have nothing to compare it to. I have never ride anything else.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
twp

Garage
johnnyplano I was going to replace both when I did it. When riding 2 up it just seems I have to use alot more rear brake. I know with the extra weight I have to use more. It just seems like its alot.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:06 PM

I switched to EBC pads before and although they grabbed well,they wore faster and made more noise than the stock pads,so I went back to stock front and rear. I only ride two up on rare occasions so the stocks are better for me.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyplano View Post
The front brake accounts for 70% of your stopping power. I'd start there rather than the rear.
I agree with Johnny. You shouldn't need any more stopping power in the rear unless something is broken.

Sintered metal pads will increase stopping power, but you'll wear out the brake rotors a lot faster.

Joe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Top Contributor

You might try Galfer brake pads. I use them on my GL1800 Gold Wing and they seem to provide great stopping power, and they last longer than the EBC's.

When riding 2-up, try this. Given that the front brake provides 70--80% of your braking, try leading with the front brake first, then immediately follow with the rear brake. Here's why: When you brake, a whole lot of the bike's weight is instantly transferred to the bike's front end. It really loads up the front tire, giving it greater grip on the road surface. What follows is the rear tire gets instantly much lighter, so your brake's effectiveness is reduced, and the rear brake mostly serves to help stabilize the bike, especially during a heavy braking situation. So leading with the front brake and following with the rear provides for a more balanced braking event.

When I say to follow the front with the rear brake, I mean that it is a nearly simultaneous application of both front and rear brakes, but that momentary (usually less than a second) lag with the rear brake lets the front system load up and do the bulk of the work. Give this a try. Hope this helps.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twp View Post
Im a pretty good size guy so I had to stiffen up the rear shock. It might just be me I don't know. This is my first bike so I realy have nothing to compare it to. I have never ride anything else.
Please donít be offended, the only thing I know about your ridding ability is.
ďThis is my first bike so I realy have nothing to compare it to. I have never ride anything else.Ē

Iím going to guess that you donít use/put much pressure on the front brake .
If Iím right try this.

Find a long quiet street/parking lot, USING 3 fingers AND NO FOOT slow down, donít stop.
Keep doing this gradually applying more pressure till you get to the point where you can really slow that thing down... then add the foot.

Keep practicing
ab
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:21 PM

Amen and +1 to abjb. Practice, practice, practice. This creates muscle memory which will not only increase your reaction but will also decrease the amount of cognitive (conscious) brain processing needed to react to a situation.

Case in point. I've been riding since 1988 and still take the bike out to a parking lot 3 or 4 times a summer to practice low speed maneuvering, panic braking, dragging the floor boards, and just feeling what the bike likes to do in certain situations. Last summer riding in the rain, coming over a rise in a two lane road, there was a car in my lane trying to pass in a no passing zone. I consciously remember seeing the car and knew I needed to slow down and get as far to the right as possible; this road has maybe one foot of pavement to the right of the white line. I remember that I could feel the lovely grab me around the waist and stiffen up. I also remember indicating to the moron (who continued to pass and did not try to get back behind the car he was trying to pass) that he was number 1. I immediately realized after the car had just passed me that I was on the white line, that my speed was down to 30 mph (from 70) and that I was in third gear; I don't remember downshifting or eying the white line, but there I was, in one piece and dirty side down.

Practice to create correct muscle memory and it can (and probably will) save your life or at least minimize the pain of recovery.

2006 VN900 Classic LT - Red and Black
Stage III Stock Pipes - K&N Filter in Stock Box - Amsoil - 170/80 Kenda Kruz - Saddlemen Explorer - Willie & Max Windshield Bag - Mutazu Passenger Floor Boards - Shorai Heavy Duty Battery - Kawasaki Lowers - Black Universal Trunk mounted on Mutazu Rack - Osram 70/65w Plus 50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode