HID Kit Installation (VN900) - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
HID Kit Installation (VN900)

Okay, this my first How to post, and hope this helps some guys.

This HID kit is from DDM Tuning. It's a H4, 35w, 5000k color and performs both low & high beam functions. The kit includes; wiring harness, H4 HID bulb, Ballast & Igniter. Total installation time with tank removal 2.5 hours, but I did take my time with the wiring.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kit includes_resize.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	8669

Next I removed the Gas tank to make the harness installation easier and cleaner. Since this was my first tank removal it took me some time.

Name:	Tank removed to install harness_resize.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	8670

Removed the Headlight ring to remove the olf halogen bulb. Please note the (3) 10mm bolts in the bottom of the light pan. You will need to remove these bolts so you have you can give yourself space later on to install the igniter inside the headlight pan.

Name:	Head light unit_resize.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	8671

Once you have the headlight unit out place it on a work bench (use a towel to protect it), and follow the instruction from DDM Tuning (download from their web-site). The following pic is reinstalling the OEM seal around the new HID metal sheild housing. Just stretch it over, it will fit.

Name:	Bulb Seal_resize.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	8674

Next install the new HID bulb assembly as directed in DDM instructions. It's a snug fit, but will seal up great.

Name:	New HID Installed_resize.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	8675

Part 2 coming up...

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
HID install part 2

Continuing with part 2:

Next was to start mounting the various parts of the kit. This first pic is where the control unit was mounted. Left side of frame. I did end up moving this unit back about 2 inched from this pic (you see a new pic with the tank reinstalled) so the tank would fit better.

Name:	Control unit mounted_resize.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	8676

Mounted the ballast unit on the right side of the frame using velcor to anchor the unit, but if seems to fit very nicely and the wires run right into the headlight unit.

Name:	Ballast mounted_resize.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	8678

Then I extended the power wire using the second half of the harness (harness comes wired for two HIDs (car application). Simple enough to solder and heat shrink the connections. Makes it solid.

Name:	Battery end of extension_resize.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	8677

This created a clean route back to the battery box. I even have access to the fuse if required.

Name:	Battery box clean_resize.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	8679

Final stage coming up in part 3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
HID install part 3

Continuing with part 3:

Once I mounted the Control unit & ballast in their final locations. Remember when I told you would have to remove the three 10mm bolts in the bottom of the headlight pan, well this is when you do this so you can fit the igniter unit inside the headlight pan. Once complete reinstall the (3) 10mm bolts and tighten. I made all the connections inside the headlight unit (simple plug & play). All the wire and igniter box fit nicely inside and closed up the headlight with the two mounting screws. Below is the tank reinstalled and final pics of the ballast & control unit mounting locations (you'll notice the contol unit is tucked up under the tank better since I moved it back 2 inches from the original pic.

Name:	Final ballast mounted_resize.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	8681

Name:	New location control unit_resize.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	8680

And finally the before and after pics of the Halogen vs HID. Went for a test ride when completed and what an amazing difference.... I can actually see the road.

Name:	Before_resize.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	8682

Name:	After HID install_resize.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	8683

I hope a captured enough information and pics to make this How To useful for anyone wanting to install a HID conversion kit on your Vulcan 900.

Thanks...
Russ

2010 900 Classic

Last edited by bosco; 01-08-2012 at 05:40 PM.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 03:29 AM

Garage
Very nice and clean install. You really took your tome and did it right....

-Jeff
Southwest Florida

SOLD-2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
-Quick release windshield
Bell RS-1 Helmet for my fat head! XXL
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
good job. looks great.

VROC Number: 35103
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:01 AM

Nice job, thanks.
$40.00 for the HID and $8.00 each for LED fog/DRL running lights, pretty darn reasonable. Hmmmmm. How long till spring? LOL.

2009 Vulcan 900 LT
Light bar (35W H3 bulbs)
Crash Bar

Last edited by waynebob; 01-07-2012 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Price comment.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 PM

Thank you for the detailed information and great pictures of you light modification. You got me excited to do a light mod also as I have always wanted more light on the street.
My question: what made you select the 35 watt kit over the 55 watt kit?

The 55 watt kit gives the most light output so I lean towards that upgrade.
Maybe the 55 watt kit gives to much light?

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 900 LT
Mustang seat w/backrest
Grip guards
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul douglas View Post
Thank you for the detailed information and great pictures of you light modification. You got me excited to do a light mod also as I have always wanted more light on the street.
My question: what made you select the 35 watt kit over the 55 watt kit?

The 55 watt kit gives the most light output so I lean towards that upgrade.
Maybe the 55 watt kit gives to much light?
when the OP was looking for kits, i offered him to go with 35w because i thought he wasnt going to install a relay harness. running a 55w, i would really recommend you to run a relay harness. another reason why they went with 35 not 55 is because 55w will cause too much glare coming from the headlight because HIDs are meant for projectors not reflector housings. a 55w will make your eyes strain more because of more like. thing about it like this. if you were riding down a dark road with a really bright light from your headlight, and then you look up into the dark, you eyes will take a really long time to adjust from the super brightness of 55w to the complete dark. 35w makes you have plenty of more light compared to halogen and it spreads it out nice and evenly so you dont get eye strain.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:21 PM

Thank you for your prompt reply and the good information.
I know the reflector in the headlight basket is not the best for a HID lamp but did not consider that the 55 watt lamp would be to much light but it does stand to reason that the extra light output would have some disadvantages.
I am wondering if the HID conversion is street legal because I have seen information on some web sites (can not remember where) that lead to question the legal issue.
Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your reply and information.

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 900 LT
Mustang seat w/backrest
Grip guards
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
hids placed correctly are street legal. meaning placed into low beams in projectors. but one our bikes since we have a dual filament bulb and a reflector bowl, it is not street legal. but i have never heard of any body getting tickets for it. on bikes everybody does it so i dont think its a biggie. hids require "charge" time so when you use your highbeams in our bikes or anything with a dual filament bulb, hids will not give a "flash" because it needs time to charge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode