Intake and fuelpack question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Intake and fuelpack question

I am interested in buying some Vance and Hines pipes. I also am going to put in a K&N replacement air filter. Do I need to do a fuelpack or a cobra fi2000r? I know there is a lot of talk on here about if you just change pipes that you don't need one, but since I am changing the filter I wasn't sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Top Contributor

If you are talking about using the K&N stock filter replacement, then you will probably be fine without the fuel processor even though you are adding V&H pipes. The air flow path on the stock airbox is like a twisted straw. Even with the lower restriction K&N filter, the air still has a godawful path to get to the intake. So you will notice very little if any extra air flow with the K&N filter because the restriction is actually in the airbox design. I still think the K&N filter is worth the money because it is reusable and the stock paper filter costs $30+ a pop. So it is economically sound to use it, just not performance wise.

Now if you are talking about going to an aftermarket airbox with K&N filter, you will definitely need the fuel processor when you add the V&H pipes because this removes the restrictions on both ends thus making your fuel/air mixture to lean.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 PM

couldn't have said it better jp

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Top Contributor

Most exhaust manufactures do highly recommend the use of a fuel managemane system even if only upgrading exhaust (you can read this on their websites and instruction sheets). Even those that don't sell fuel managements do recommend the use of one! Some will agrue this companies say this to their advantage but I disagree with that because if that was the case they would highly recommend the use of other performance products like spark plugs and such.

Would a fuel management make a difference? Yes it did on mine.

Is a fuel management a must when upgrading exhaust? No, you can do without just like i did for a bit.

First upgrade was my V&H exhaust with the stock air filter and bike ran OK but then some few weeks later I added a Cobra FI2000R and honestly no difference was felt and what a pain to set as you pretty much guess the settings. A couple of weeks later I got my hands on a PCIII and it made a noticeable difference in performance with only the exhaust and original air box. Then a few months after I upgraded to a BAK and once again a noticeable difference in performance was felt. Because I felt a noticeable difference in performance from the PCIII over the Cobra FI2000R I sold the cobra right away. These days there are better products than the PCIII so I'm not saying buy it but do consier a fuel managemet that has capabilities to not only add fuel but to remove. Fuelpak has this capabilities as well. Hope this helps.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode