Battery Warmer? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Battery Warmer?

I live in Southeast Texas and I ride to work everyday, rain or shine, cold or hot. I have noticed that when it gets cold, 40 degrees or below the bike is hard to start. I keep her outside under a shed, covered with a battery charger connected and she is still hard to start on a cold morning. In the afternoons or when it is warm, she cranks right up everytime. Yesterday it was 29 degrees and it took multiple attempts and around 10 minutes to start her up. Does anyone know of a good battery warmer for the 9? The battery is good and has been tested, it has to be the cold weather.

dum vita est spes est - While there's life, there's hope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Top Contributor

Agreeing with Ponch here. It is probably not the battery if you keep in on a battery tender. Actually, they make engine block heaters that have built in thermostats. The one below is a magnet mount which may be a trick on an aluminum block. But maybe you could make something work.

Engine block heater

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Lifetime Premium

Both of mine sit in a garage during winter, minus 15 c yesterday, i run a battery tender as well, i have never had an issue starting them in any temperature down to minus 25c, and run them at least twice a month during winter. I suspect it may be another issue. FI bikes should start up straight away.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, you guys are great! I didn't even consider the fluids on a cold start until you guys pointed it out. I keep my 9 under a cover, under an open sided carport now, last winter she was in a heated garage all winter but we moved. I'll throw a lightbuld under the bike cover and see if that helps when the temps drop again.

That should last until I can get the heater on the thing fixed. (My old truck needs two new rotors)

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 PM

Garage
What weight oil are you using? Mine sits in my garage with no heat and she starts right up every morning and it was 36 this morning when I headed out. I run a 10w-40 Synthetic which covers the range of temps that I run my bike in up here in Cheyenne. A engine heater for a bike in Southeast TX just seems like a waste of money in my opinion.

It was 29 in Beaumont? How much further south do you have to go for warm temps in TX right now?

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra Dragster Pipes
Cobra Fi2000
Classic Rear Fender
Harley Tour Pack
Running on the Darkside
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 PM
V2K Rogue Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue Wagon View Post
It was 29 in Beaumont? How much further south do you have to go for warm temps in TX right now?
All the way to the border!

We regularly get cold fronts that go
down into the 20's, at least one or two every winter!

Why, today the morning low was 39! And the high was only 70! It will be lows in the 40's and highs around 70 for the next week! I don't think I can take much more of these horrible winters!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw-poke View Post
All the way to the border!

We regularly get cold fronts that go
down into the 20's, at least one or two every winter!

Why, today the morning low was 39! And the high was only 70! It will be lows in the 40's and highs around 70 for the next week! I don't think I can take much more of these horrible winters!
Wanna swap ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Hey Jeep, thanks for sharing that ... warm starts are always better than cold, I just might have to look into a couple of those.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Garage
I've been down in Beaumont during the end of September and beginning of October and I would have never thought it would get down to freezing.

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
Cobra Dragster Pipes
Cobra Fi2000
Classic Rear Fender
Harley Tour Pack
Running on the Darkside
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It usually isn't below freezing down here. When I posted this a few days ago it was 29 degrees in the morning, and had been around the low 30's for three days each morning prior to that.

Today is a typical Southeast Texas winter morning, 57 degrees, humid and foggy. When it does freeze here it isn't bad unless the roads ice up. Then all hell breaks loose and we end up with a few hundred wrecks a day in the area. Luckily there hasn't been any ice this year. We occassionally get some gray stuff that looks like volcanic ash falling from the sky. The locals call it snow, but it doesn't look like the christmas pictures of snow I've seen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode