Led's in highway light bar instead of halogen - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Led's in highway light bar instead of halogen

Just bought my 2009 900 LT this October and it had 35W halogen bulbs in the light bar which is the limit for electrical add-ons. These will be running lights most of the time so I was thinking of replacing them with LED's and lightening the load on the stator.
I could change the headlight bulb from the stock 60/55W for a Wagner BP1210 80/100 and have better lighting with less load on the charging system. Good plan? Any other ideas welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 12:17 AM

I have a 2008 900LT with the 35 watt lamps in the light bar and a 55 watt headlight.
Did think about changing the 55 watt to a higher wattage but was advised the 80/100 watt lamp generates to much heat and will cause problems with the lamp socket and the plastic lens and the wires may not be adequate for the increased current flow.
Now thinking about converting to HID lighting as current setup is not the best for night time riding.

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 900 LT
Mustang seat w/backrest
Grip guards
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 06:40 PM

I have been running the nappa bp 1210 80/100 for several months now and have had any heat issues as of yet. My friend has been running it in his 900 for at least 1 year now also no issues. I also took the light bar off my 900 so I am not getting any additional draw from them.

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW0378 View Post
I have been running the nappa bp 1210 80/100 for several months now and have had any heat issues as of yet. My friend has been running it in his 900 for at least 1 year now also no issues. I also took the light bar off my 900 so I am not getting any additional draw from them.
Thanks for the information.
With the light bar removed, do you have ample lighting with just the low beam?
My problem is not enough light down the road with only the low beam and the light bar lights on.
I was thinking of wiring the light bar so the lights are on whether the low beam or the high beam light is on. This would give me the maximum benefit from the light bar and give me light in front of the bike and down the road.
I would really like to add HID lighting.

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 900 LT
Mustang seat w/backrest
Grip guards
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 PM

Honestly due to working like a darn fool most of my time is spent commuting on the slab and I run even there with the high beam on most of the time. Low beam is not horrible but for me creates a straight line cut off of the light that is not far enough out in front for me. I would love to put the light bar back on if for nothing other than I love how it looks but again with all the slab time the windshield has become necessary, and the light bar gets in the way when both are on.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 02:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW0378 View Post
Honestly due to working like a darn fool most of my time is spent commuting on the slab and I run even there with the high beam on most of the time. Low beam is not horrible but for me creates a straight line cut off of the light that is not far enough out in front for me. I would love to put the light bar back on if for nothing other than I love how it looks but again with all the slab time the windshield has become necessary, and the light bar gets in the way when both are on.
Then you have the wrong light bar or the wrong windshield. You should have enough room for both.

-Jeff
Southwest Florida

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLD-2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
-Quick release windshield
Bell RS-1 Helmet for my fat head! XXL
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

A quick fix for better lighting is to use the wally world bullet lights. They cost about 30 bucks, (that's on the high side) and they provide the extra light you need to see the shoulders better at night. I've had mine mounted for almost 2 years now and have found them to be reliable and easy to fit in with my MS Batwing. I had a regular windshield at first, but they fit nicely with either.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting'..... “what a ride”!' George Carlin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Hids would be the best way. I am planning on adding hids to actually be able to see at night.

VROC Number: 35103
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I will see how my lights look at night when spring gets here and go from there. Hid sounds like the way to go, putting in a unit with the same wattage would give ample light further down the road and the 35W Halogens in the light bar would be okay although I still don't like being at the limit for added electrical load. Maybe will find some H3 LED's and make life easier for the stator. :-)

2009 Vulcan 900 LT
Light bar (35W H3 bulbs)
Crash Bar
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 01:38 AM

Garage
you should check this thread:

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22097

I've been doing a lot of research lately.

-Jeff
Southwest Florida

SOLD-2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
-Quick release windshield
Bell RS-1 Helmet for my fat head! XXL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode