This is a must read ! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

This is a must read !

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20943

The world is a pool table,and all the people in it are either stripes or solids. You alone are the cue ball.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

A fascinating conversation with a lot of good info

The world is a pool table,and all the people in it are either stripes or solids. You alone are the cue ball.”
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 08:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Toforo
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
......The problem is .. you can teach anyone to drive a truck .. what you cant teach is commonsense.

Driving is all about risk removal or reduction, its just unfortunate that stupidity or arrogance of some can cause some really dire consequences.

Personally I think the cited thread should be STICKIED at the top of a few of the topic/forum threads here - great info full of "ABSOLUTES"

ex-2008 Vulcan 900 Classic
NOW/NEW 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
Medically Retired USN
VFW Life Member
NRA Distinguished Life Member
Old Sailors ROCK ! ! !

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

It's a shame, but you can't fix stupid, so people are going to keep doing stupid things on the highway. You can't afford to segregate vehicle types, so that isn't going to happen either, so the only one you can take care of is you......Drive defensively, and always look for the idiot that is going to cut in front of you and slam on the brakes or try to beat you on to the hwy. from the entrance ramp. Don't even want to talk about texting while driving, but that should be a mandatory manslaughter criminal charge if an accident happens while texting and driving..... no if, ands or slick lawyer butts about it.....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting'..... “what a ride”!' George Carlin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa afterthought View Post
. . . that should be a mandatory manslaughter criminal charge if an accident happens while texting and driving..... no if, ands or slick lawyer butts about it.....
What about dealing with a crying baby and driving? Changing a radio station and driving? Drinking a coffee and driving? Talking on a CB and driving (since we're talking about truckers . . . )? Listening to an audio book and driving?

Or is it just texting that we're worried about?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithlloyd View Post
What about dealing with a crying baby and driving? Changing a radio station and driving? Drinking a coffee and driving? Talking on a CB and driving (since we're talking about truckers . . . )? Listening to an audio book and driving?

Or is it just texting that we're worried about?
there is a move here in Ontario to make using a CB the same as a cell phone ... hands free or its illegal

As i drive "team", two drivers, one drives , one sleeps, our CB radio is never on. I must confess to occasionally driving with headphones on though, audio books have long gone out the window with the advent of satellite radio.

Next thing we will be banning pilots radios ... there is no real difference between that and a CB as far as distraction goes..

Driving is common sence, as stated above .. you can't fix stupid regargless of what mode of transportation used.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

Last edited by whiting57; 12-23-2011 at 09:15 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Lifetime Premium

Texting requires the driver to take his or her eyes off the road to concentrate on pushing buttons. Trying to draw parallels with a crying baby is just trying confuse the issue. Headphones and radios so not require this to happen, although a case can be made for them causing a distraction. But I don't believe the severity of the distraction is as huge or causes the potential for an accident as much as texting..... I've heard this type of argument before and I don't think it holds water....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting'..... “what a ride”!' George Carlin
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
there is a move here in Ontario to make using a CB the same as a cell phone ... hands free or its illegal
I'm glad that you see my point there - daily, I'm finding that you see things as clearly and rationally as I do. You know, they say you can judge a man's intelligence by how much he agrees with you.

Quote:
Next thing we will be banning pilots radios ... there is no real difference between that and a CB as far as distraction goes..
Except that pilot candidates are weeded out if they can't demonstrate a consistent ability to multitask, to include talking on the radio, reading charts, navigating, calculating speed/fuel/performance, etc, etc. Drivers, on the other hand, barley have to demonstrate the ability to drive in a straight line. Maybe instead of banning the use of portable devices, we should instead license based on having proved that you can multitask. Maybe then we'd have as few drivers as pilots. Problem solved!

Also, airline flight decks have two pilots, and the PF (Pilot Flying) virtually never talks on the radio. The PM (Pilot Monitoring) does all the button pushing, switch throwing, and checklist reading. And on the rare occasion that the PF talks, he's doing it with the Push-To-Talk button that's on the flight controls. Never has to move his hands. It's pretty snazzy! LOL.

Quote:
Driving is common sence, as stated above .. you can't fix stupid regargless of what mode of transportation used.
Back to that whole judging of your intelligence - bravo! I agree 100%. I'm just not a fan on over-legislating things like that. It becomes such a slippery slope. And, most people will try to rationalize things like babies and music by saying, 'Well, that's different!". Well, not everybody runs into walls while using a handheld device, either! LOL
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa afterthought View Post
Texting requires the driver to take his or her eyes off the road to concentrate on pushing buttons.
So does trying to change the radio station!

Quote:
Trying to draw parallels with a crying baby is just trying confuse the issue.
Is it really? Have you ever seen somebody trying to reach back and give a baby a bottle, or a dropped toy? I'd say it's pretty distracting! We just don't want to think about banning that because it would affect everybody with kids, not just those that text!!

Quote:
Headphones and radios so not require this to happen . . .
Does your in-fash stereo have no buttons? Can't change the station? Have you ever changed a CD or tape (for those of us old enough to remember doing this . . . ) while driving? That's certainly distracting!

Quote:
But I don't believe the severity of the distraction is as huge or causes the potential for an accident as much as texting
Well, of course not! It would inconvenience you too much to believe that! Besides, texting is very new, so it's in the media. I'll bet you that just as many accidents have been caused in the same time frame by people doing the above-listed activities while driving as texting!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Sorry, I still don't think you are comparing apples to apples. And BTW, I did not say to legislate against texting and driving, just make the penalty match the damage that the texting driver causes when there is an accident such as the one that made national news recently in St. Louie where several people were killed by a driver who sent or received at least 11 texts just before the big pileup. I figure if someone kills of maims someone cause they feel their personal communication with someone else is sooo important that it is worth the life of a stranger, then they deserve to spend some time in the slammer for the offense.... After all, death is an eternal life sentence.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode