Do throwover bags need to be mounted? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Do throwover bags need to be mounted?

I just bought a pair of throw over bags from willie and max and measured them to fit over the bike. While I have2 inch clearance over the pipes I am wondering if they will move around and somwhow get trapped in the rear wheel or interefere with the brakes.Anyone have any ideas on this as I would prefer not to hard mount them as it appears there is a rather large bracket that hangs over the side that it is to attach to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 09:35 PM

I know of 3 options:

1. No bracket-risk bag rubbing against wheel or other moving parts.
2. Square wire type bracket-cheapest bracket to get.
3. Quick release bracket that only shows two bolts, when bag is removed. I have this, and its very nice: http://www.ghostbrackets.com/

2010 vn900c se
Riding in foggy/rainy San Fransciso
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
I just bought a pair of throw over bags from willie and max and measured them to fit over the bike. While I have2 inch clearance over the pipes I am wondering if they will move around and somwhow get trapped in the rear wheel or interefere with the brakes.Anyone have any ideas on this as I would prefer not to hard mount them as it appears there is a rather large bracket that hangs over the side that it is to attach to
Tiefighter speaks the truth. A lot of people go immediately for the cheapest option, but it's not always the best option.

I went for option 3 (Edge Brackets, as they are now called). Fu%$*ng awesome product. Yea, a little pricey at about $145 for the set. But, let me tell you - secure, looks good, and strong. And, no ugly crap hanging off the bike on the days that you decide to ditch the bags. Here's what my bike looks like without the bags on.

I've had those bags loaded the hell down and ridden a 700+ mile trip with beer, liquor, guns, wine . . . all kinds of crap in there. No problems whatsoever. The brackets have a lock with a key, so it's hard for somebody to just take them off the bike - but it's easy for you to take them off when you want. I can literally have each bag off in about 15 seconds.

I would definitely look into them!!

Somebody recently posted in the forum about

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
with beer, liquor, guns, wine . . .
ah .... a man with priorities.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
ah .... a man with priorities.
Well, I do try! Everything else can be purchased once I get where I'm going!!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiefighter View Post
I know of 3 options:

1. No bracket-risk bag rubbing against wheel or other moving parts.
2. Square wire type bracket-cheapest bracket to get.
3. Quick release bracket that only shows two bolts, when bag is removed. I have this, and its very nice: http://www.ghostbrackets.com/
+1 on #3. Love my Easy Brackets. A little pricey but easy on and off for cleaning, traveling, or just when you want that "stripped down look".
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I bought Saddlemen throwovers for mine. I tried leaving them as throwovers for a while, but with the yokes over the back fender and the ties holding the bags to the supports, I was a long way from the clean, permanent look I wanted. And since I use the bags every time I ride, or near enough, I didn't really see the point in being able to take them off.

So I got a couple fender washers, grabbed the ol' C3, and hardmounted 'em. I don't regret it. While it's true you can't just pack stuff in the bags then take 'em off the bike while traveling, they do make zippered inserts for them. I haven't tried them, but they're on my list of potential purchases.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:08 PM

you dont have to solid mount them, but at the very least do have some saddlebag supports behind them. i only put mine on for a trip or something, but the brackets stay on permantly. seeing the brackets on there without the bags covering them doesnt bother me like it does some poeple i guess.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWBOYcafe View Post
seeing the brackets on there without the bags covering them doesnt bother me like it does some poeple i guess.
OMG, it's awful.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithlloyd View Post
OMG, it's awful.
nah, doesnt really bother me. i'm just use to it i guess. did this on several bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode