Lesson (Re-)learned - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 33
Lesson (Re-)learned

(Re-)Learned a valuable lesson today. Wear properly working gear, head to toe.

I stopped at a stop signed that was sloped to the rightside of the road. I came to a stop and put my feet down only to find no footing on my right side. I ended up dropping the bike. Things happened faster than expected.

Thinking about what happened... couple of things dawned on me.
1. I suffered no scrapes on my hand, although I landed on my hands. Also, I had a small bruise top of my left knee. No scrapes. Could have been bigger as my knee slammed against the concrete. Lesson learned: Wear full gear. Incidents involving slow moving/stopping could still hurt. Walked away with no scrapes, thanks to armored gear. In a faster situation, it could save your skin (literally).
2. I must have stopped about 50 thousand times without falling. But I fell today on full stop. How did I manage to slip and fall? Thought about this after the fact... I think two factors contributed to this: 1)I was not paying attention. Pure and simple. As I have stopped and rode for while, I started to get confident (especially my ability to stop... on flat, incline, dry, wet, even on emergency stops). Normally this would not have me slip, but I ignored an important rule: Wear properly working gear. My boots were not in working condition thinking about it now. I've been meaning to get a new pair of boots, as my current pair is starting to run lean on the treads, and it is not be re-soled. Unfortunately, it took a spill to drive that point home, all parts of the gear should be in good working order.

I guess I will be buying a new pair of boots. This time, I will get a pair that can be re-soled.

I normally wear:
Fullface modular helmet
Leather Jacket with armor built-in
Gauntlet style gloves with armor and padding
Bohn Armor underpants with armor
Blue jean for riding made with kevlar
Riding boots with oil/slip resist (except today)

2010 vn900c se
Riding in foggy/rainy San Fransciso

Last edited by Tiefighter; 12-10-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Tiefighter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: eastern massachusetts
Posts: 91
Good morning,
I can relate to your fall as the same thing happened to me in a parking lot.
Made a 90 degree turn into a parking space and stopped before I could put my right foot down. What a sensation, going over and not be able to do anything about it.
I notice you wear Bohn underpants with armor and kevlar lined jeans.
I wear regular jeans and know that I have no lower body protection in the event I have an accident. I have thought about the Bohn underwear with armor but do not know anyone who could tell me the pluses and minuses of wearing it especially in the summer.
I would appreciate a brief summary of your likes/dislikes with the Bohn equipment as it would help me to decide if I should buy kevlar lined jeans with the Bohn armor or buy motorcycle riding pants with/without armor.
Many thanks for any information and evaluations.

paul d

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 900 LT
Mustang seat w/backrest
Grip guards
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
paul douglas is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul douglas View Post
Good morning,
I can relate to your fall as the same thing happened to me in a parking lot.
Made a 90 degree turn into a parking space and stopped before I could put my right foot down. What a sensation, going over and not be able to do anything about it.
I notice you wear Bohn underpants with armor and kevlar lined jeans.
I wear regular jeans and know that I have no lower body protection in the event I have an accident. I have thought about the Bohn underwear with armor but do not know anyone who could tell me the pluses and minuses of wearing it especially in the summer.
I would appreciate a brief summary of your likes/dislikes with the Bohn equipment as it would help me to decide if I should buy kevlar lined jeans with the Bohn armor or buy motorcycle riding pants with/without armor.
Many thanks for any information and evaluations.

paul d
I love Bohn Armor. Very comfortable. I actually bought it after I spoke to a guy who crashed while wearing one. He walked away crashing into a car make a left at about 30mi/hour. Only thing I can't tell you is how comfortable is when hot... I live in SF, so hottest it gets here is about 90 degrees. Cost is kinda high.

I had the same pair about a year, so its pretty durable. I wear mine very often (several times a week).

I have kevlar lined motorcycle pants with removable liner. Good for cold days. It is rather bulky, so for normal day riding, I prefer to wear kevlar jeans with Bohn armor. Also the armor in Bohn is pretty comfortable.

2010 vn900c se
Riding in foggy/rainy San Fransciso

Last edited by Tiefighter; 12-11-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Tiefighter is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Top Contributor
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: south Florida
Posts: 1,291
I went over on some surface similar to Tie's (sloped), but I don't blame the road surface as much as I know my leg just didn't work.

I had run in the middle of the night across the state, through fog layers and cold that I had not planned nor dressed for (jeans didn't really help at all each time I hit that fog layer), so when it came time to stop on a side-road and decide if I was on the correct track my leg just wouldn't hold the bike up. Luckily my right leg started working somewhere between the bike going over and me going over, so I was able to catch myself, but...

This goes back to wearing the right gear. I've ridden in freezing temps before, and for long trips it can get right dangerous due to how the cold affects and locks-up one's body.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vid
big grips, 19-42 tooth sprockets
rusty handlebars, rusty pegs, rusty mirrors
wrapped Cobra exhaust, K&N Air Filter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mambo Dave is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 352
I have the lightweight Bohn armor lowers, and I love 'em. I also wear an armored jacket and a ff helmet The Bohn mesh is quite light, so it doesn't keep me too warm, even in 90+ weather. I definitely feel safer with it. It is expensive, but so is a hospital visit.
crazyj is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Top Contributor
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: south Florida
Posts: 1,291
If I could afford a Bohn Crusdaer top and protective pants I'd buy 'em. Hopefully now that I have two bikes I am done with buying bikes, and will save up for better armor. In the mean-time I make due with the CE armor in my Bilt Jacket (http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ket/web1008403) and Bilt pants.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vid
big grips, 19-42 tooth sprockets
rusty handlebars, rusty pegs, rusty mirrors
wrapped Cobra exhaust, K&N Air Filter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mambo Dave is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Top Contributor
 
DESERT ANGEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 545
sorry to hear of your mishap but I feel if you ride long enough it will happen,
i know as I get older my footing is not as good so im extra careful, I also look for protective gear that works regardless where it came from Wal Mart or the "look good when I ride store" I just want to be protected
ride safe and take care
DESERT ANGEL is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERT ANGEL View Post
sorry to hear of your mishap but I feel if you ride long enough it will happen,
i know as I get older my footing is not as good so im extra careful, I also look for protective gear that works regardless where it came from Wal Mart or the "look good when I ride store" I just want to be protected
ride safe and take care
You are absolutely right... one of my rider friend told me once... its not matter of if it will happen, but matter of when.

Just gotta learn from mistakes (own and other's). Ride safe.

2010 vn900c se
Riding in foggy/rainy San Fransciso
Tiefighter is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: eastern massachusetts
Posts: 91
Thank you all for the comments on the Bohn body armor.
Here in New England it seldom gets over 90 degrees and when it does it does not last for more than a few days although this summer it was both hot and humid.
I like the idea of the Bohn body armor because it looks like the armor can be placed and should stay at the body parts where it will provide protection such as knees and thighs whereas the armored riding pants look like the armor is shifted around because of the different size people wearing the same pants. On some people the knee armor is at the knees, on others the knee armor is below the knee, and still others the armor is above the knee. Also I wonder if I am sliding down the street will the armor in the riding pants stay in place to provide any protection?
At this time I tend to think my best way to obtain additional protection for my body parts from the waist down is to wear kevlar lined jeans supplemented with Bohn underwear body armor. I ride very infrequently in the winter so I do not need the cold weather advantage of the riding pants with lining.

So this winter I plan to evaluate the several manufacturers of kevlar lined jeans.
Anyone who wears kevlar jeans, your comments and evaluations will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
paul d

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 900 LT
Mustang seat w/backrest
Grip guards
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
paul douglas is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Top Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Redmond, Oregon
Posts: 1,611
Hey Paul...
your concern about armor moving around is one I share. After my big crash in 2007, I bought original draggin jeans and a pair of the knee armor they sell. The pants fit and work great....but since the knee armor is supposed to velcro in place, I could tell immediately it wouldnt stay over the knee... so I used some duct tape and wide elastic band to fit the thing ON my knee ...and the elastic holds it in place nicely... it hardly shows at all. Gotta get the elastic just tight enough to hold it up, without cutting off circulation....

The point of the armor to me is to absorb most of the first impact.... the one that would break bones. I think any armor will slide around in a prolonged scrape on the asphalt.... I hope the draggin jeans take care of that one.

Annie



Quote:
Originally Posted by paul douglas View Post
Thank you all for the comments on the Bohn body armor.
Here in New England it seldom gets over 90 degrees and when it does it does not last for more than a few days although this summer it was both hot and humid.
I like the idea of the Bohn body armor because it looks like the armor can be placed and should stay at the body parts where it will provide protection such as knees and thighs whereas the armored riding pants look like the armor is shifted around because of the different size people wearing the same pants. On some people the knee armor is at the knees, on others the knee armor is below the knee, and still others the armor is above the knee. Also I wonder if I am sliding down the street will the armor in the riding pants stay in place to provide any protection?
At this time I tend to think my best way to obtain additional protection for my body parts from the waist down is to wear kevlar lined jeans supplemented with Bohn underwear body armor. I ride very infrequently in the winter so I do not need the cold weather advantage of the riding pants with lining.

So this winter I plan to evaluate the several manufacturers of kevlar lined jeans.
Anyone who wears kevlar jeans, your comments and evaluations will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
paul d

2009 V2K / Vietnam Vet / PGR rider

Last edited by Tallannie; 12-12-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Tallannie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rookie mistake... lesson learned! Danimal New Riders 25 03-20-2018 11:33 AM
To Re-Jet or Not to Re-Jet.....? Odin Vulcan 1500 13 12-19-2012 12:49 PM
A lesson to be learned - Handling fuel economy alignment and apprentices Dozrtravlin Vulcan 1700 5 08-06-2011 04:37 AM
Expensive Lesson - how NOT to trailer your ride Top K Vulcan 1700 25 01-05-2011 07:09 PM
Lesson Learned dan20164 General Vulcan Talk 10 05-23-2010 01:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome