kisan signal minder - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

kisan signal minder

ok, bought my wife a 2006 Vulcan 900 classic LT. Great bike, but differs from her Vstar a bit in the fact that the turn signals do not self cancel. invested in a Kisan Signal minder and i"m having a hell of time. signals now self cancel, but you still have to push the button in in order to signal for the next turn. the kit talks about some return springs and some foam bushings. they will not work in the switch housing on this bike,. anybody got some advice before i send this thing back??? and yes i am thinking about trying to retrain her but you know how that goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge205 View Post
ok, bought my wife a 2006 Vulcan 900 classic LT. Great bike, but differs from her Vstar a bit in the fact that the turn signals do not self cancel. invested in a Kisan Signal minder and i"m having a hell of time. signals now self cancel, but you still have to push the button in in order to signal for the next turn. the kit talks about some return springs and some foam bushings. they will not work in the switch housing on this bike,. anybody got some advice before i send this thing back??? and yes i am thinking about trying to retrain her but you know how that goes.
Did you go to page 30 of the installation manual to see if this applies to your switch? It states that neither the springs nor plugs can be used with that particular switch but their is a fix.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

I had to cut the foam plugs down to make them work. Trim a bit at a time and just use trial and error. I put the signal minder in my wife's 09 900 Classic. Page 30 does not apply to the 09 Classic which should be the same as yours. The wiring for the brake delay and tail light flashing: blue = brake light, gray = right turn signal, green = left turn signal, at least on the 09 Classic.

E.Z. Voyager

2009 1700 Voyager "Enterprise" (to boldly go...)
2009 900 Vulcan "My Vulcan" SWMBO's
1980 XS1100 Midnight Special "My Midnight Ride" (sold)
1982 GS850GL "Freedom" SWMBO's (Son-in-law's now)
1982 KZ305CSR "TRAINING WHEELS" daughters

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
Galileo Galilei

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Did you go to page 30 of the installation manual to see if this applies to your switch? It states that neither the springs nor plugs can be used with that particular switch but their is a fix.
Hi Sojourner,

i have been caught a few times forgetting to turn my blinkers off and it could be a bit dangerous, i know I should learn to always do it but the minder would be an extra safety . It looks like you have one.
Could you expand a bit on this mod?
Where is the turn relay? (under the seat?)
Which model signal minder? SM-3 or 3M?
What is the fix?

Thanks a lot
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Hi Sojourner,

i have been caught a few times forgetting to turn my blinkers off and it could be a bit dangerous, i know I should learn to always do it but the minder would be an extra safety . It looks like you have one.
Could you expand a bit on this mod?
Where is the turn relay? (under the seat?)
Which model signal minder? SM-3 or 3M?
What is the fix?

Thanks a lot
I do use the Signal Minder but on another bike so I can't be much help to you.
E.Z. Voyager has installed one on a Vulcan so you might want to PM him.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 05:26 AM
Lifetime Premium

Yes it is under the seat.
The one for the 900 is the SM-3
It is a replacement for the flasher. While the socket on the 900 only has 2 pins the kit includes a wire for the third pin that connects to the battery. It also has another set of wires with connectors that go to the brake switch and rear turn signals. You also need to put two foam springs (you need to trim them) in the turn signal switch.

E.Z. Voyager

2009 1700 Voyager "Enterprise" (to boldly go...)
2009 900 Vulcan "My Vulcan" SWMBO's
1980 XS1100 Midnight Special "My Midnight Ride" (sold)
1982 GS850GL "Freedom" SWMBO's (Son-in-law's now)
1982 KZ305CSR "TRAINING WHEELS" daughters

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
Galileo Galilei
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

kisan signal minder

frenchie,
i am still working on mine, its actually been too cold here in the great state of washington to go out and mess with it. the signal relay on my 06 is under the seat. remove the seat, and then i removed the tool kit tray to gain access to the battery. attached to the front side of the battery box is a small relay looking device. it is the turn signal relay/flasher. as was mentioned in the earlier post you will have to utilize the included ground wire with the kit. i am hoping the suggested fix will get me to the finish line. i.e. cutting the plugs in half length wise and gluing them in place. we will see. Kisan has been pretty good and i am still waiting for the answer from them after sending photos of the switch on my 06. hope this helps. i still can't understand what Kawasaki was thinking of when they did not equip this bike with self cancelling signals, probably saved them $10 a machine
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Lifetime Premium

One point I should make is every so often my Signal Minder would get confused and when I would apply the switch for a left turn it would flash one time then switch over to the right side. It didn't do it all the time, but once is enough to get you in trouble.
Signal Minder's manual mentions that this can happen and it's the result of the single indicator lamp on the console causing cross talk between left and right.
The way around it is to pull the bulb or to do the diode fix where the left and right indicators are isolated from each other.
Just a heads-up.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Z. VOYAGER View Post
Yes it is under the seat.
The one for the 900 is the SM-3
It is a replacement for the flasher. While the socket on the 900 only has 2 pins the kit includes a wire for the third pin that connects to the battery. It also has another set of wires with connectors that go to the brake switch and rear turn signals. You also need to put two foam springs (you need to trim them) in the turn signal switch.
Thanks a lot for this E.Z, will try this mod.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge205 View Post
frenchie,
i am still working on mine, its actually been too cold here in the great state of washington to go out and mess with it. the signal relay on my 06 is under the seat. remove the seat, and then i removed the tool kit tray to gain access to the battery. attached to the front side of the battery box is a small relay looking device. it is the turn signal relay/flasher. as was mentioned in the earlier post you will have to utilize the included ground wire with the kit. i am hoping the suggested fix will get me to the finish line. i.e. cutting the plugs in half length wise and gluing them in place. we will see. Kisan has been pretty good and i am still waiting for the answer from them after sending photos of the switch on my 06. hope this helps. i still can't understand what Kawasaki was thinking of when they did not equip this bike with self cancelling signals, probably saved them $10 a machine
Thanks for explanation Sarge205. I don't quite understand how to fit those "foam spring" that you have to trim!
I had a look in the switch casing, there no room left in there!
Any photos to post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode