Quick question on lowering. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quick question on lowering.

Does just lowering the rear of the bike really change the handling alot?
Do you have to lower the front too?

09 Custom SE

Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 12:51 AM

I wondered about this as well.

2010 vn900c se
Riding in foggy/rainy San Fransciso
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 05:42 AM
BOTM Winner, February 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
Does just lowering the rear of the bike really change the handling alot?
Do you have to lower the front too?
Less suspension travel is never an improvement comfort wise, unless you're on a race track.

Lowered my 900 Custom 3" the same time I added the 240 kit.... result? it does dig in to corners now.... just the little 80/90 front tyre doesn't bite, tends to want to give out earlier than before. Couldn't tell what it would do with a standard rear set up.

Cheers

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Had my 05 800 classic lowered 1 1/2" until started carrying passenger about full time. Biggest problem I had was wore out peg feelers and have 3" flat spot on bottom of lower pipe. Kit I used lowered bottom mount of rear shock so didnt give up travel. My pass. and I total about 425 lbs, had tire rub on taillight harness. When I get second bike, cruising tourer, will relower this one.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 02:02 AM

Just did my Custom, down 2" from stock (Baron's kit from CC). Certainly improves the look of the Custom's rear end. On the intial ride around the block I felt no real difference in handling, seemed a bit better at low speed as it is supposed to move the C of G further back towards the seat from the tank.

Went on a 100Km ride with the lady O' the house on the back for the first time. The bike bottomed out a couple of times on bad pot holes, but other than than, no noticeable difference. (The complaints on the Custom's shotgun pillion seat far outweighed anything else!!). I have the shock preload set at 1 down from max. It seemed the extra weight of a pillion actually improved it some.

All in all, a good result. Hope this helps
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
I'm not to worried about the looks...I just need to have my feet flat on the ground. It's hard for me to keep the bike steady at a stop if the wind is blowing or my wife is wiggling around on the back.
I'm only 5' 6", and my heals are about 2" off the ground when trying to hold the bike up.
It's more of a safty thing than a looks thing.

09 Custom SE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
Thanks guys!
I'm not to worried about the looks...I just need to have my feet flat on the ground. It's hard for me to keep the bike steady at a stop if the wind is blowing or my wife is wiggling around on the back.
I'm only 5' 6", and my heals are about 2" off the ground when trying to hold the bike up.
It's more of a safty thing than a looks thing.
I'm 5'6" and have the same challenges. It would be great if you could post what you do to lower your bike as well as the end result. I will likely do the same, if the changes are positive.

2010 vn900c se
Riding in foggy/rainy San Fransciso
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Drop the bike 3", it will lower the rear and also lower the center of gravity .... leave the shock at the current level or raise it 1 notch firmer, one notch up means firmer, it does not mean its going to raise the bike. Most would not notice any handling change. You may be prone to scraping the pegs more than the stock height, but its still gotta be way over to do that.

The added bonus is that it will clean up the rear fender look a little, it will also change the stance of the bike on the side stand.(more upright)

BTW ... there are lowering kits that will allow a 3" or 2" drop, try the
3", no good, raise it to 2".

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

Last edited by whiting57; 11-25-2011 at 04:02 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

I bought the L.A. Coppers rear lowering kit. It lowers 1 or 2 inches. I'll go with the 2 inch.
TieFighter, I'll be sure to take plenty of before and after pictures. Unfortunatly, I won't be able to test out how it rides until spring.

09 Custom SE

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:51 PM

i lowered mine 3 first and couldnt ride it out of my drive way without scraping up my pipe, which made me real uncomfy then I rode with it at 2 for about 6 months I liked it but still scraping the pipe and the boards a bit so went back to stock. the bike definitely looks better lower and if I had different pipes i may have kept it at three longer.

Father of Rufio

Maria-vn900lt
I've done some things to her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode