What tire are you running on your Custom? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

What tire are you running on your Custom?

Hey everyone, I am tire shopping again and I am not sure what to get.
If you have any opinions on which front tire is the best or good/bad reveiws about what your running I would love to hear about it.

Here goes mine,
I bought a set of Pirelli Night Dragons (200/70-15 rear and 90/90-21 front) and at first I loved them, then I hit a small pot hole and the front tire developed a bad vibration. I then bought a Shinko 777 (80/90-21) and I hate the way it handles. It gives the front a very twitchy feeling. So now I need something better.

Thanks for any input that you may have.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic with foot controls swapped off of a custom.
Mustang Daytripper, HardKrome sideburner exhaust, slammed down 2"-3" in the rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 AM

Avon Venom 80/90-21. On my 2nd one. They handle well and neither needed any balancing weights...as much a testimony to the tire as to the wheel. I keep it at 40 psi and have had no cupping with either. I'll be buying my 3rd one soon...getting around 15k+ from each.

'07 900 darkside custom

"Are you out of your Vulcan mind?"...'Bones McCoy"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Top Contributor

I ran the Metz 90/90-21 on the front after the original Dunlop, and it developed a LARGE tread blister about 1/3 of the way into the actual tread life. I replaced it with the same, thinking it an oddity, and developed a large sidewall swell/blister after just a couple of hundred miles (returned it under warranty). I've heard of a couple of others having the same issues, so I went back to what my local shop had in stock at the time, which was the stock Dunlop replacement.

Gonna try the Avon Venom next since I've heard quite a few good reviews and I'm just not a fan of the stock Dunlop tread pattern or tread life.

EDIT: For the record, the Metz Marathon on the rear has been OUTSTANDING! I've got 13k miles on it so far, and still plenty of tread and stability left. I'm estimating about another 5k of life left in it, maybe a little less.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
I ran the Metz 90/90-21 on the front after the original Dunlop, and it developed a LARGE tread blister about 1/3 of the way into the actual tread life. I replaced it with the same, thinking it an oddity, and developed a large sidewall swell/blister after just a couple of hundred miles (returned it under warranty). I've heard of a couple of others having the same issues, so I went back to what my local shop had in stock at the time, which was the stock Dunlop replacement.

Gonna try the Avon Venom next since I've heard quite a few good reviews and I'm just not a fan of the stock Dunlop tread pattern or tread life.

EDIT: For the record, the Metz Marathon on the rear has been OUTSTANDING! I've got 13k miles on it so far, and still plenty of tread and stability left. I'm estimating about another 5k of life left in it, maybe a little less.
I've heard similar stories about the Metzeler 880's over here. It seems it is only happening with the tires made in South America.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Top Contributor

I also had the Metz 90/90-21 that blistered, twice. So this time I went with the Avon Roadrider, it has a simular tread to the venom, but the guy at the tire shop mentioned that the straight centerline on the venom tends to search a bit more than the wavy centerline on the roadrider, Anyway, I am really loving it and the 90/90-21 fits a bit better {more clearence} than the Metz did.

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Pirelli MT66 on the front, General Altimax on the rear. No problems with either one.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
I've read a couple times now about issues with the S.American Metzlers. How do you know where a tire was made before you buy? I've never found these tires to be in stock around here so I have to order it sight unseen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode