handlebar risers - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Pearl White/Titanium
handlebar risers

I have a '09 900LT I am wanting to bring the riding grip closer to me but only slightly however i am indifferent about rise. I have also fabed a windshield bag support that has the bag resting on the stock risers but only slightly (see pic) Any input from others would be helpfull.
I am looking at Scootworks Phatrisers giving 1.5 rise and 1.5 pullback but wondering if it will interfear with bag and weather I will need to reroute cables. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-17 19.49.03.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	8216  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 08:56 PM

Garage
I have a 1500 classic with phats II risers. All the difference in the world as far as ease of control. Its like having power steering. Did not have to reroute cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	8219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	8220  

2008 Vulcan 1500 Classic, "Black of-course"
National cycles windshield
National cycles chrome lowers
Fire & Steel backrest
Cobra rear floorboards
LeatherLyke saddlebags
Phats II Risers
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidIA900LT View Post
I have a '09 900LT I am wanting to bring the riding grip closer to me but only slightly however i am indifferent about rise. I have also fabed a windshield bag support that has the bag resting on the stock risers but only slightly (see pic) Any input from others would be helpfull.
I am looking at Scootworks Phatrisers giving 1.5 rise and 1.5 pullback but wondering if it will interfear with bag and weather I will need to reroute cables. thanks

My wife has an '09 LT and I installed the Phat Risers on it for her. No need to re-route the cables or wires. It's close with the bars at full deflection both sides, but the throttle still works fine. Go for it. Now, I have an '06 Classic that I installed a Memphis Fats shield on, with the quick disconnect shield mounting bracket. Worked fine with the stock handlebar setup, but I needed some risers with a slight pull back so I ordered up a set of the Phat Risers. They went on just fine, but I found that due to the bracket design, the cables are stretched too far and jam the throttle when turned full left or right. I will have to re-route the cables and wires behind the bracket to keep them loose.

You shouldn't have any trouble with yours as you have the LT.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM

I have the lt and did reroute because I didnt think the throttle and all would make the stretch. Might be a good project to try and put them back to original postion this winter but for now it going to be 65 degrees in KC today so Im still ridin !!!!!!

tconroy
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:53 AM

I have the same bike - right to the paint! I put the Phats I on mid season this year. From what I see in your pic the bag will ride in back (toward the shield) and slightly below the lower corner. My guess would be at 45 degrees to where it is now. The Phat I's are perfect for me -I'm 5'6" so the bars were a little too "Beachy". They actually cause me to sit further forward - as counter intuitive as that sounds, I'm lots more stable on the twisties. I did not have to relocate any cables- but its not hard to do.
I'm really interested in the bag bracket - how did you attach it to the windshield. I'll try to upload a couple pics of the risers this weekend.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Red / Silver
Waterboy's lowers - modded slightly to fit the lightbar
Mustang Studded Seat
Cobra Lightbar
Phat 1 Risers
Rear floorboards-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Top Contributor

I have read of some riders buying chrome deep well sockets and longer mounting bolts to do a cheap-o handle bar rise. If the sockets are 2.5" long and given the 32 degree front rake, (and assuming I did my trig calculations correctly) this would bring the center of the mounting point up about 2.12" and back about 1.32". For the cost of a couple sockets and bolts, I have been considering trying this one out to see if I like it any better.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:25 AM

I've got the PhatRisers I. No cable rerouting is needed. Looks like a non-standard mounting of the windshield bag, so I'm not sure about fitment. There is plenty of room between my handle bars and the windshield.

'10 VN900DA
32,000+ miles

Last edited by johnnyplano; 11-18-2011 at 03:12 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

EMT I should be able to take some pics this weekend and post the bag support but it was an easy rig and looks and works great.. the bag is a US Saddle Bag Co. bag from J&P- part # 831-301 $52.00 some 1/8x3/4 aluminum flat stock from Menards 2.00
A trip to the local hardware store that sells chrome fasteners for some 1/4-20x3/4 pan head cap screws, washers and accorn nuts 4.00 ---cut, form, trim, drill, polish aluminum weave it thru the slots in the back of the bag and mount it to the whindshield replacing the stock bolts and acorns with the longer ones I will try to get pics later
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Ok still looking at the Phatrisers but debaiting on Phatriser= 1.5" rise -2" pullback or Phatriser-1X =2" rise -2" pullback not much difference
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:29 AM

I have the Phat I. Have the grips on the bars almost as low as they can go, and still clear. No cable re-route necessary. But, it does look cleaner if you re-route.

The 1X with more rise, would not get the grips lower. Nor would the II's. But, they would get them back towards the rider.

From what I can see, any of the three will have re-sale value, if you try, and want a different one.

06 Kawi Vulcan Nomad - Cobra Lite Bar, Phat II Risers, Vista Cruise, Krusier Kady, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Mustang w/ Backrest, Vance & Hines Dual Baggers, PC III, Cobra Luggage Rack, Electrical Connection LED R,B, T Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light, Classic Chaps, Avon Cobra's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode