Installed PHat Risers, but need some help - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Installed PHat Risers, but need some help

I have an '06 classic I bought this Fall and had a Memphis Fats quick release windshield installed. Love the quick release feature. I ordered a set of Phat Risers (the regular ones--Phats 1, I think they're called) and put them on today. All was good when I was done, but then I discovered that when the bars are turned all the way to the stop, either direction, the throttle cable gets bound tight. NOT GOOD! I looked at it and determined that the windshield mounting bracket for the quick release mount has the cable pulled pretty far forward before curving back to go under the tank. Any suggestions as to how to get around this--simply, if possible. It almost appears that I need to move the cables behind the upper triple tree, but that will, no doubt require a trip to my dealer where I bought it, as I don't have the tools required, nor the know-how. So I am looking for suggestions, guidance, wisdom, etc. Thanx in advance.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:32 PM

Garage
let the pros do it. triple tree is too important to chance it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 PM

Go to the scootworks website, use the install instructions for the Phat 2's (they are the next taller risers). It details exactly what you need to do to move the cable under the upper tree - pictures and all.
It's basically remove the bars, remove the center nut, loosen the clamp screws, tap the tree up slide the cable around the right end, and tighten the clamps. Put the bike up on a jack or blocks so the front is supported. As long as you dont loosen the bottom clamps your alignment should stay true. it's about as easy as changing the risers in the first place. If you have the toolkit, you have all you need.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Red / Silver
Waterboy's lowers - modded slightly to fit the lightbar
Mustang Studded Seat
Cobra Lightbar
Phat 1 Risers
Rear floorboards-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:11 PM

Garage
whoa hold on .
I installed the Phat Riser II's and you don't have to do the triple tree removal to make it work. Just take off the throttle control cover and disconnect the throttle cables from the throttle grip. then re route behind the triple tree and re connect. It's very easy and not as overwhelming as taking the triple tree loose. And you won't have to pay the dealer 150 an hour to do it.

2010 VN900 Classic-Blue
Kuryakyn ISO Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Mini Silver bullet brake lights
Scoot Works Phat Riser II's
Arlen Ness Scalloped Big Sucker
V&H Pro Pipe
V&H Fuelpak
Saddlemen Profiler seat
Barnet and Galfer Stainless control cables
Cobra Passenger floorboards and bag supports
Chilhowee Leather bags
American Biker Tool bag
Chrome Breather filter
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-rider View Post
whoa hold on .
I installed the Phat Riser II's and you don't have to do the triple tree removal to make it work. Just take off the throttle control cover and disconnect the throttle cables from the throttle grip. then re route behind the triple tree and re connect. It's very easy and not as overwhelming as taking the triple tree loose. And you won't have to pay the dealer 150 an hour to do it.
Hmm, that sounds do-able. Thanx for that suggestion.

'09 650 VStrom
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Easier method to relocate cables behind the triple tree. Drop the headlight then take the cables/handles off the bar. Pass trough the headlight opening and reattach. Bolt the headlamp back in.

Make sure to use towels on your tank and fender to avoid dents and scratches.

I use small Velcro ties to keep the cables together after relocating.

John
2007 900 Custom
Plasma Blue
Oxford, MI
VROC 25948
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 01:57 PM

taking off the top triple tree isn't a difficult or complicated procedure but yea the easiest solution is to reroute the cable.

Father of Rufio

Maria-vn900lt
I've done some things to her
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-rider View Post
whoa hold on .

I tried to do that today, but couldn't get enough slack in the throttle cables to remove them for relocation. Don't know why. I screwed the adjusters all the way in, but no go. Guess it's off to the dealer to have him do it Tuesday when they open back up for the week. Sigh.

'09 650 VStrom
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 AM

Nomad, take the bars back out of the risers, lay them down between the tree and the tank. There will be plenty of cable to get it out of the grip.
It is still a LOT less work to take the nut off, loosen the clamps and tap tap the tree pops up (probably can pull it up with the bars in fact. Its not like the bike is gonna fall over, or anything will twist - the tubes are clamped in the lower tree. Putting the risers on in the first place was more work than moving the cables. More dangerous too - you were working with tools over top of the tank. That's always my fear, slipping a wrench and hitting the tank. I always cover it with towels, than a nice heavy blanket.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Red / Silver
Waterboy's lowers - modded slightly to fit the lightbar
Mustang Studded Seat
Cobra Lightbar
Phat 1 Risers
Rear floorboards-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt_271 View Post
Nomad, take the bars back out of the risers, lay them down between the tree and the tank. There will be plenty of cable to get it out of the grip.
It is still a LOT less work to take the nut off, loosen the clamps and tap tap the tree pops up (probably can pull it up with the bars in fact. Its not like the bike is gonna fall over, or anything will twist - the tubes are clamped in the lower tree. Putting the risers on in the first place was more work than moving the cables. More dangerous too - you were working with tools over top of the tank. That's always my fear, slipping a wrench and hitting the tank. I always cover it with towels, than a nice heavy blanket.

Thanx for that tip. I'll give it a try.

'09 650 VStrom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode