Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Kickstand brain fart

5K views 42 replies 29 participants last post by  stormin 
#1 ·
Happened to me yesterday so just thought I ask for a show of hands (misery loves company) how many of you have went to set the bike down and forgot that you didn't put the kickstand down (don't be ashamed).

I got lucky the saddlebags and pegs saved the bike, wish I could say the same for my ankle.

#37 ·
I didn't say I leave it in neutral, I put it in neutral so I can use my left hand witch is on the clutch to turn the key off. Everyone has their own way of shutting down their bike, and the thread wasn't started to see who does it right or wrong. He just wanted to know if you ever forgot your kickstand. And Whiting, my crash bars aren't there for crashes, they are for looks and to hold highway peg so I can stretch my long legs.

#40 · (Edited)
worst side/kick stands ever devised are standard fare on all hardleys.. they dont swing past 90degrees... heck, dont even go that far.. and they use a stupid lock pin(bayonett) that engages when you set the bike on it..
so that if you dont kick it hard 'nuff forward and make sure it settles in/on its lock pin,, you climb off the bike thinking its secure and then it rolls forward, the side stand rolls back and the whole thing goes splash on its side.
or... even worse! you mount up and ride off (they dont have start up/lock out switch) and the side stand stays pinned in its keeper.. you do a small roll to the left and that Locked in Place side stand takes a horrendous hit and Jolts you n bike to the right.. recovery at best is your reflex or yor taking a right side header..
not to mention you just destroyed a Hunerd Dollar kickstand and now you cant even set the bike up because theres nothing left to sit it on..

and you guys give me grief for writing true reports about these farm traktors all done up up in glorious paint n krome... $20k dollars and you dont even get a decent kickstand.. because hardley wont change it because thats the old skool traditional stand from 1903.

#42 ·
well ever body says hardley is a hunerd dollars... but i guess thats at the used junk yard store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.