Opinions Wanted - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Opinions Wanted

I have a 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom. I am out of ideas for customizing it. I've added mini apes, powder coated the wheels, quick release backrest and windshield, highway bar with chaps, tail bag, swing arm bag, new exhaust.

I had planned on fuel processor and air intake this winter but I've read enough posts to talk myself out of it. It seems people spend up to $1000 on these upgrades with mixed results. I need something to do this winter. I'm happy with the bike but like tinkering with it. So what should I do? Give your opinions. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	144753  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 05:44 AM

Paint the tank and fenders and side covers, wake it up abit, then do your helmet too, that ought take up the winter....ride on....
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 05:47 AM

I make a bike a extension of my personality. If painting my bike green is to my liking then so be it. Once I've gotten to where I'm happy with the bike I just enjoy it. As time passes another idea comes along, or I see something that catches my attention. Be patient, that light bulb in your head will come on when the right situation or idea comes along.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 06:42 AM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemantle View Post
I need something to do this winter. I'm happy with the bike but like tinkering with it. So what should I do? Give your opinions. Thanks!
cm,, folks tend to spend a sizeable amount of dough to get their one and only precious sled into a state of what they consider to be a "one of", "mine".. only to realize all these bolt on solutions are nothing more than dime store jewelry that every other bike guy has "added" to his sled.. so in time all you have is just another copy of some mainstreet bling just like every other bike.

you may do well to just keep yor day rider in something resembling stock form and spend yor hard earned dough on acquiring "another" project bike that you can wrench on and express your artistic side with other than off the shelf bolt on crap.

by having 2 bikes, one to ride and one to wrench, you will be able to satisfy your need to modify a piece of machinery w/o ever sacrificing your need to ride.. no down time. poncho

hey you asked for opinion..

not another boring list of mods;
14 guzzi v14, 14 Injun chieftain v18, 13 guzzi v7, 12 hardley 48
07 kaw v2k, 07 guzzi v11, 07 yam v17, 07 96ci 'lectraglide
06 88ci superglide, 05 hardley 883, 05 yam v17
04 zooki sv1k, 03 guzzi v11, 02 kaw v15
01 Honda 750, 00 hardley 883, 84 Honda v7 supermagna, 99 hardley 883
92 zooki v8 sport, 88 zooki 650 thumper, 84 Honda 500 thumper
80 Honda 360t, 78 Honda cb500f, 75 Honda cb750f
73 Honda cb500f, 73 Yam TX750 blow up bike, 72 Honda cb350t
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 12:14 PM
BOTM Winner
June 2015

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903cc
Color: Two tone black and Canyon Copper Fade
Garage
Poncho's right, but only IF you can afford a second bike AND what it takes to wrench on the project bike. Not all of us have that luxury. That being said, what Ponch said about dime store jewelry is true. Especially for the 900. Not a whole lot of options out there. So in essence anything that bolts right on thousands of other bikes have that same thing on it. I wouldn't consider adding a windshield, sissy bar and handle bars "customizing". I would consider that to be dressing it up. Looking custom, and being custom, are two totally different animals. While my 900 doesn't have many true custom fabbed parts on it (although I have fabricated a few on there) and it does have parts made for other makes and models of motorcycle, to me it is a custom. Yes thousands of Road Stars have the seat I have on my 900. But very very few Vulcans have Road Star seats on them. Yes, thousands of Harleys have tail dragger fenders, but not many Vulcan 900's. There are some tho. And yes there are TONS of baggers out there. But not many if any other Vulcan 900's can go from tail dragger to bagger in less than 30 minutes. I'm also in the design phase to better adapt the Harley clone fairing made for a VN1500 I have to my 900 to allow for quick change from windshield to fairing. And more recently, I fabricated my own rear fender bib for when I remove the passenger seat and ride solo. To me, that's custom.

In my opinion, if you want to customize a bike, that requires fabrication and/or modification of parts. Otherwise you're not customizing, you're accessorizing.

If I had a garage to work in, I'm sure I would do a ton more to mine. Especially in the winter, even tho I ride in the winter. Just not as much. Ideas will come to you, but don't just rely on aftermarket dressings made specifically for the 900. Fabricate you own parts and mounting solutions and that will open up the parts world even bigger.

08 VN900 Custom Bragger Phase II
Mods:
  • Custom 2 tone Black / Canyon Copper fade paint
  • PowerCommander V
  • Kuryakyn Hypercharger
  • Hard-Krome Sideburner exhaust
  • 4.5" risers
  • 12" Ape Hangers
  • Extended cables and front brake line
  • LED Signal and brake light converson
  • Arlen Ness Tail Dragger Rear fender w/custom molded teardrop tail light
Yes I did all the work myself, and no it isn't done yet. But it will be. Soon.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 02:36 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomCrewInc View Post
In my opinion, if you want to customize a bike, that requires fabrication and/or modification of parts. Otherwise you're not customizing, you're accessorizing.

If I had a garage to work in, I'm sure I would do a ton more to mine. Especially in the winter, even tho I ride in the winter. Just not as much. Ideas will come to you, but don't just rely on aftermarket dressings made specifically for the 900. Fabricate you own parts and mounting solutions and that will open up the parts world even bigger.
dci,, ther be many salvage bikes to be had for dimestore money. these make great platforms for starter projects to either rebild and bring back their heyday, or take them to the next level and chop/bob/ratt em into something personable, mor akin to home made.
as long as you got yor day rider, ther is no push to get this project done on somebody else time table. you can work at yor leisure, ies are involved in the design faze. which can be perpetual. its not just a motor bike, but is art after all. somethings just cant be rushed. get another am thinking.

if a gayrahj is not available, any kitchen or even living room will do in a pinch. I even read some projects have been done in the bedroom. sleep you say? that's watt couches are made for. didn they lern you nuthin in college? poncho

Misfire likes this.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 02:38 PM
BOTM Winner
June 2015

Garage
LOL Ponch I don't think I'll be carting my 9 up a flight of stairs to my living room or bedroom!

Mods:
  • PowerCommander V
  • Kuryakyn Hypercharger
  • 4.5" risers
  • 12" Ape Hangers
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 02:41 PM

Yeah, blah blah blah...custom vs. bolt on...jeez, some of us cannot do custom fab projects on bikes or anything else...some of us are pretty happy with the bolt on stuff - hey, if you cannot shop at Tiffany's for your jewelry, then shop at Walmart.

Cole, just take a look at the bike and see what parts / areas are bugging you. For me it was the rear tag mount, rear flashers, and rear ride height. Sure, I added a tach, windscreen, and throttle lock - but not for that one-and-only custom look - but just because I like it that way. Added Cobra Powerflo & Powerpro because I felt like it - not so I could do 9 second quarter mile times.

Yeah, sure, I just bolted on some retail stuff, but hey, I never said the bike was "custom" - its just mine. And a bit different than the next guys VN900 Custom that rides by.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 02:45 PM
BOTM Winner
June 2015

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow01 View Post
Yeah, blah blah blah...custom vs. bolt on...jeez, some of us cannot do custom fab projects on bikes or anything else...some of us are pretty happy with the bolt on stuff - hey, if you cannot shop at Tiffany's for your jewelry, then shop at Walmart.

Cole, just take a look at the bike and see what parts / areas are bugging you. For me it was the rear tag mount, rear flashers, and rear ride height. Sure, I added a tach, windscreen, and throttle lock - but not for that one-and-only custom look - but just because I like it that way. Added Cobra Powerflo & Powerpro because I felt like it - not so I could do 9 second quarter mile times.

Yeah, sure, I just bolted on some retail stuff, but hey, I never said the bike was "custom" - its just mine. And a bit different than the next guys VN900 Custom that rides by.
I wasn't knocking anything the OP did or plans to do, nor what anyone else does or plans to do. I was just stating that "customizing" and "accessorizing" are 2 different things.

Mods:
  • PowerCommander V
  • Kuryakyn Hypercharger
  • 4.5" risers
  • 12" Ape Hangers
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 05:00 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomCrewInc View Post
I wasn't knocking anything the OP did or plans to do, nor what anyone else does or plans to do. I was just stating that "customizing" and "accessorizing" are 2 different things.
yeah but I was.. he was looking for winter projects to beat back cabin fever .. bolting on another piece of krome is not gonna help any amount of not being able to ride anxiety.. and winter shadows.

A true project can and will. you don't need to have any skills or a garage full of tools. you just need to have piece of machinery in front of you staring back and saying "oh, so you think you can fix me?.. I'd like to see you try"..

or just go get you some shiney new piece of krome fandarble and make yor sled different. just like everbody else. poncho

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version