Corbin Young Guns Seat - 900 Custom - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903
Corbin Young Guns Seat - 900 Custom

Took just over 4 weeks to get the Corbin seat - made to order. I went with basic black using the basket weave for the seating surfaces. Shipping from CA to GA was $47 which I thought was a little high. Total cost for the seat and shipping $440. I bought a leather 3party backrest on eBay for $51 including freight, the Corbin backrest is $218 plus shipping and I could not justify that cost although I am sure the Corbin backrest is of higher quality.

Corbin fit and finish is good, seat fits the bike well no rubbing easy to put on and take off. The seat came with some spacers that are needed for the seat bracket so it fits the custom as the fender is s little different on the 900 custom model. Corbin says 2,000 miles needed to break the seat in. At first the seat feels like you are sitting on a board! Really firm, but my first 4+ hour ride was much better than the stock seat (with supra core mod and air hawk). I think this will fit my needs just fine, the backrest is a great addition, thank you forum members for recommending a backrest.

Why I decided on the Corbin young Guns seat.

A) Wanted to keep the stock look as much as possible
B) Wanted backrest option. This eliminated solo seats and the saddleman profiler and mustang daytripper seats (seats that were close to stock look criteria A)
C) Needed a passenger seating area for short rides < 20 min.
D) Need to be comfortable for a 6 hour ride!

The. Corbin Young Guns seat was the only seat I found that met my criteria. Most of my rides are 4-6 hours. I don't have or want to add a windshield or saddles bags, I like the 900 Custom stock look. The backrest is a must IMHO for 4+ hour rides without a windshield (now that I have a backrest). I use to get pain in the upper shoulders I assume from fighting the headwinds without a windshield, no more problem with the backrest.

I found a good size tail bag that I can put on or take of within 1 min. big enough to hold rain gear or s small bag of groceries, rests on the pillion and attached to the seat and backrest with Velcro straps. I don't need to use a backpack anymore!

$500 I would have preferred to not have spent on a seat, but if you are not comfortable you just can't enjoy the ride. As many on here have said if you buy a vulcan 900 be prepared to invest in a new seat period! I spent $250 on a seat mod and airhawk but in the end found these measures only extended my ride time to a max of 2.5 hours before the old butt started to feel the pain. In hindsight I wish I had taken the advice of many forum members and just invested in a new seat from the get go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corbin Young Guns Seat.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	92642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corbin 1.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	92650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobin 2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	92658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corbin 3.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	92666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corbin 4.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	92674  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I like the look Wild Bill. I agree that the backrest is mandatory on longer rides. It seems like 2,000 miles is a long breakin period but I do know my Mustang Wide Touring seat took a while to get comfy....more like 1,000 miles but was 100% better right out of the box. That seat looks like it has great back support though. I've found that a riding jacket with a back protector that acts as a stiffener works great when you lean against the backrest....kinda like sitting in a chair with a tall back. That seat is a great match for that bike for sure.

If Loud Pipes Save Lives, I'm Gonna Live Forever!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903
Dirtwiz, The Corbin seat is very stiff but sooo much better than the stock seat even with the spensor mod with supracore and an airhawk on top. 2,000 seems like a long break in period, the Corbin foam is very dense so I think Corbim may state that long break in period so they don't get a lot of complaints when folks first sit on the seat. Others may be able to comment on a typical Corbin break in period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode