900 or bigger - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

900 or bigger

Hello,
I got back into riding in the summer of '09. Took the courses and got my license...bought a used '98 500 to run around on. My wife also did the training and got her license, which was part of the reason we went with a 500...it is a good bike for us both.

But now I am looking for something more. I would like to stay with the Vulcan's, and am considering a 900 at least and something up to a 1500. The bike would be for fun drives out in the country, occasional trips to work and the occasional trip to my parents in Louisiana...about a 500 mile round trip. By occasional I mean every 6-8 weeks...

Things I would like are fuel injected...windshield...saddlebags...sissy bar.

I am seeing some 2009 900's in my price range (under $5500).
Can I find a fairly new, larger bike in my range and is it worth it?

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Rod

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Zhaan)
OEM Windshield, Crashbars, Sissybar
OEM Slim Saddlebags
Crampbuster throttle control
Wagner BP1210/H4 headlight & 2357LL taillight
FIAMM Low tone horn
Homemade Lowers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Top Contributor

I bought a 09 900 classic LT in may of 09! I am 6ft and about 200lb and the wife is about 5.6 and 120lb and the bike carries us both very well. I did add highway bars for i could stretch my legs and a mustang seat witch was a must for both of us cause the sock seat was killing us. The classic LT is a great mid-weight cruiser and has everything your requesting on it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard rider View Post
I bought a 09 900 classic LT in may of 09! I am 6ft and about 200lb and the wife is about 5.6 and 120lb and the bike carries us both very well. I did add highway bars for i could stretch my legs and a mustang seat witch was a must for both of us cause the sock seat was killing us. The classic LT is a great mid-weight cruiser and has everything your requesting on it.
Sounds good...do you take it on any trips? I am wondering how it performs on the highway. I need to be able to make occasional long (500-600 mile) round trips in a day. My 500 is great, but I just don't see it making that sort of trip as it is older (98) and the wind on the highway blows me all over. I just cannot see taking it out for 3 + hours one-way.

I rode in college years ago, and have had this 500 for about a year and a half...so I have been getting some time riding. But I have never ridden anything larger than a 500 and am just wondering how large I should go...
I really don't want anything over a 1500, and I think that a 1500 is pushing it for me. I am 45 yrs old, 5-11 and about 185. I just am not sure about those larger bikes.

Rod

OEM Slim Saddlebags
FIAMM Low tone horn
Homemade Lowers

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringVulcan View Post
Sounds good...do you take it on any trips? I am wondering how it performs on the highway. I need to be able to make occasional long (500-600 mile) round trips in a day. My 500 is great, but I just don't see it making that sort of trip as it is older (98) and the wind on the highway blows me all over. I just cannot see taking it out for 3 + hours one-way.

I rode in college years ago, and have had this 500 for about a year and a half...so I have been getting some time riding. But I have never ridden anything larger than a 500 and am just wondering how large I should go...
I really don't want anything over a 1500, and I think that a 1500 is pushing it for me. I am 45 yrs old, 5-11 and about 185. I just am not sure about those larger bikes.

Rod
On the highway i run about 70 and she does just fine but i wish she had 6th gear for fuel milage. I went from a 82 yamaha virago 750 to the 900 vulcan so i was intimidated by the size but she's very easy to get use to. I sometimes wish i would've gone with the 1700cc but i'm happy. I live in noth central IL. I have about 17.5k on her without any issues, i didn't buy it to sit in my garage. We get out like a fart in the wind and we'll put 250-300 miles on in a day so we've been every direction up to 150 miles in IL so this yr we're takin a trip down to mississippi to see family in june. I will be 45 in august and life is getting to sort not to enjoys what we love to do (ride)! But if you do go with the 900 and you let her ride it, lets just say i hope you enjoy the 500! lol
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rog_rides_again
Smile

Quote:
Hello,
I got back into riding in the summer of '09. Took the courses and got my license...bought a used '98 500 to run around on. My wife also did the training and got her license, which was part of the reason we went with a 500...it is a good bike for us both.

But now I am looking for something more. I would like to stay with the Vulcan's, and am considering a 900 at least and something up to a 1500. The bike would be for fun drives out in the country, occasional trips to work and the occasional trip to my parents in Louisiana...about a 500 mile round trip. By occasional I mean every 6-8 weeks...

Things I would like are fuel injected...windshield...saddlebags...sissy bar.

I am seeing some 2009 900's in my price range (under $5500).
Can I find a fairly new, larger bike in my range and is it worth it?

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Rod
The 900 is an excellent all around bike. I've driven from 1000 kms in one day to short evening trips on the back roads to the streets of town and find that the bike is very adaptable. It handles fine and doesn't feel near as heavy as it really is. I did install the scoot works front pulley and I am pleased with the difference. It makes it so you aren't looking for the sixth gear as much..Anyway hope this helps and good luck in whatever you choose..

Roger
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic
Candy Plasma Blue
switch blade windshield W/70-q205 mounting kit
backrest
luggage rack
saddle bags-california classic 100 series 7"x18"x11"
part # 55-bm146a
custom world chrome lowers
stock pipes w/baffle drilled and plug removed
mustang vintage wide touring seat #76127
cobra passenger floor boards
front scootworks pulley
Rear scootworks pulley
windshield bag
12 volt power supply
engine guard
Kensun HID headlight kit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog_rides_again View Post
The 900 is an excellent all around bike. I've driven from 1000 kms in one day to short evening trips on the back roads to the streets of town and find that the bike is very adaptable. It handles fine and doesn't feel near as heavy as it really is. I did install the scoot works front pulley and I am pleased with the difference. It makes it so you aren't looking for the sixth gear as much..Anyway hope this helps and good luck in whatever you choose..
I went to a dealer today...they have a couple of 2009 Classic still available.
It was awfully tempting...i did not take a ride but sat on one and asked a ton of questions. One thing I would have to get used to is the pipes
..it seems they are right where they would burn my leg.

What is a decent price for a bike like that?

Rod

OEM Slim Saddlebags
FIAMM Low tone horn
Homemade Lowers
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

The pipes will not burn your leg unless you are riding in shorts.... I've taken mine on a 2600 mile trip last August and am planning a trip out to Washington State this year from Missouri. As far as holding up to the distance, I did not have any issues with it loaded with camping gear including a fold seat, tent, backpackers bag, tail trunk and laptop computer.... Looking forward again to this year...

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting'..... “what a ride”!' George Carlin
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
I went to a dealer today...they have a couple of 2009 Classic still available.
It was awfully tempting...i did not take a ride but sat on one and asked a ton of questions. One thing I would have to get used to is the pipes
..it seems they are right where they would burn my leg.

What is a decent price for a bike like that?

Rod
I never once have ever burned my leg on the pipes and i wear shorts when it gets hot. I paid 8k for my classic lt right off the floor in may of 09, so you said he's asking about 5500! if it's a classic lt that doesn't sound like to bad of a deal but if it's just a classic, they were going for about 6k in 09 and i would think he would come down on the price just to get rid of it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard rider View Post
I never once have ever burned my leg on the pipes and i wear shorts when it gets hot. I paid 8k for my classic lt right off the floor in may of 09, so you said he's asking about 5500! if it's a classic lt that doesn't sound like to bad of a deal but if it's just a classic, they were going for about 6k in 09 and i would think he would come down on the price just to get rid of it.
Thanks for the info. I guess it is just that the pipes seem to be nearer my leg than it is on my 500 that made me a bit nervous.

Yeah, it's a 2009 Classic 900. Not the LT.
Price is about $6K...I did not get to the point of negotiating yet.
Kawasaki throws in the leather saddlebags and attachments for free, so that is considered a price break. I am not sure how much...

I like the idea of getting a new bike for a discounted price. You get the full Kawasaki warranty plus the option to buy 4 additional years. But I am wondering about pricing. I would like to get as good of a price as I can.
The bike is already 2+ years old...so it seems the price would drop a lot.

Anyone out there bought one recently?

Thanks,
Rod

OEM Slim Saddlebags
FIAMM Low tone horn
Homemade Lowers
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 11:05 PM

i just bought a 2008 classic and love it it was used no scratches actually couldnt tell it was used had 1700 miles on it for 4500 out the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode