bottoming out... (lowered 3") - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
bottoming out... (lowered 3")

ok... besides the fact that i am a stocky 238lbs., has anyone else figured something out other than putting it back to 2"??

i should be down to my normal 220 mid-spring but still, i don't want to have the shock locked out... it is already at one step away from being there?!?!

my question is... what exactly is hitting??

i am confused because i have tried to look for it... it sounds almost like metal-to-metal when ii hits. i know cars usually have a bumper installed when the shocks bottom out, but they can wear out... do bikes have the same? would a progressive shock upgrade help?

thanks...

'02 Drifter 1500
... just an awesome ride!

'08 Custom-ized
Candy Lime Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Top Contributor

I had problems with mine lowered 2". Mostly riding 2 up. I'm 180 lbs. and the little lady is 130 lbs, and the shock was set at 6 (could NOT move it to 7!). Now it's lowered 1" and the guys at the shop got the shock adjusted to 7. No problems.

Mine made 2 different sounds when bottoming out. 1 was kinda "plasticky", and I think it was the tire hitting the splash guard. The other was more metallic, and I think that was the actual shock bottoming out. I'm not sure why sometimes one would happen and sometimes the other. I just knew I needed it to stop. I was tired of slowing almost to a stop to go over every little bump.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode