straight pipes on my vn900 custom - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

straight pipes on my vn900 custom

I'm told I need some sort of fuel modifier or something like that if I put straights on my bike. It had something to do with loss in compression or whatever.

what's that thing called? or was the guy full of shit and I don't really need anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

btw, these are the pipes I want... http://meancycles.com/store/parts/vi...?partID=216326
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Top Contributor

You shouldn't need a fuel processor unless you change the air breather, my brother just order drag pipes for his 1200 sportster and he was told he would lose compession so he also ordered compression cones that slide into his header exhaust before he bolts them on. but i dont know if thier available for the application you are doing. personally i think you'll be ok...good luck

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard rider View Post
so he also ordered compression cones that slide into his header exhaust before he bolts them on.
Maybe compression cones for his ears

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by hue-e View Post
I'm told I need some sort of fuel modifier or something like that if I put straights on my bike. It had something to do with loss in compression or whatever.

what's that thing called? or was the guy full of shit and I don't really need anything?
If you think the bike manufacturers program the ECU for performance, you're wrong. They do what they do in order to pass emissions standards for the various countries they market their bikes in. A detuned engine runs cleaner and I'm not talking soot out the pipes.
Straight pipes make noise while a tuned exhaust unleashes hp. Add a free flow air cleaner and there will be an imbalance that the ECU cannot adjust and the engine will have flat spots and quite possibly loose hp, not gain. An after market fuel management system can provide the means to adjust the air/fuel ratio for better performance and/or economy. They all work hand-in-hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode