How much for the 15k valve clearance check? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
How much for the 15k valve clearance check?

My 900LT just passed the 15,000 mile mark when I put it away for the winter. Spring is just around the corner, so one of the first things I'll need to do is take care of the valve clearance check. Just for fun, I stopped in at the Kaw dealer to see what the book price was on this service. They wanted $399 for this.

If I had more time/confidence/skills I'd try it myself. I don't mind doing my own oil changes and other small things, but I'd rather have this done by someone who really knows what they're doing with it. I'm still going to check with another shop that I know and trust too, but I was just wondering what others have paid for this service elsewhere. Anyone got any stories to share?

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestLake_900LT View Post
My 900LT just passed the 15,000 mile mark when I put it away for the winter. Spring is just around the corner, so one of the first things I'll need to do is take care of the valve clearance check. Just for fun, I stopped in at the Kaw dealer to see what the book price was on this service. They wanted $399 for this.

If I had more time/confidence/skills I'd try it myself. I don't mind doing my own oil changes and other small things, but I'd rather have this done by someone who really knows what they're doing with it. I'm still going to check with another shop that I know and trust too, but I was just wondering what others have paid for this service elsewhere. Anyone got any stories to share?
Wow, my inline 4 cyl, Fi and watercooled sport bike cost $270 including a full service ... I think i would be shopping around.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:20 AM

I am in southeastern Pa. My dealer charges about $270.00 plus tax and parts for the service check and a valve job. It usually comes in at about three hundred. Your quote seems way out of line to me.

Also, I have an 09, 900 classic. In my owners manual it says check valves at every 42,000 km or 26,000 miles not 15,000 miles. I know there has been some lengthy discussions about this as per year etc, but that is what is says in my owners manual.

I went a step further and checked with my dealer and they confirmed, valves do not need to be checked on the 09 until 26,000 miles or 42,000 km.

Hope this helps.

My two cents

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 11:33 AM

For about $100 you can buy a Hot Cams valve shim kit on eBay, and for about $20 you can buy a caliper and a swivel head pencil magnet from Harbor Freight. The job will take you about two hours. The shim kit has a variety of shims over a range of sizes, and three of each size. and caliper will last the life of the bike, so it's a one-time expense. Put the shims you remove back into the kit.

It'll be easier if you put the bike on a jack or lift, so the bike is vertical instead of leaning on the side stand.

Valve shims are much easier to work with than adjusting screws. Find TDC for the proper cylinder. Mine has scribe lines on the cam sprockets. When the line is parallel to the head, that's top dead center. Measure the clearance with feeler gauge.

2007 VN900LT, red/titanium
OEM highway bars and luggage rack
OEM WS lowers
4.5 inch pull back risers
Kuryakin highway pegs
Stebel air horn
Utopia driver backrest on OEM seat
OEM gel seat for about town, and hauling grandkids
ISO grips
Jardine light bar
K&N air filter
Brakeaway cruise control

Last edited by mbwarner; 02-19-2011 at 11:36 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Top Contributor

Local Kawasaki dealer (Ride Now Powersports) in Concord, NC quoted $220. I haven't actually done it yet, so maybe they are guessing low, but I plan to hold them to it if I can.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:12 PM

I have an 09 LT. The manual says check the valves at 24k ( 15,000 miles ).
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dun2wice View Post
I have an 09 LT. The manual says check the valves at 24k ( 15,000 miles ).
This is very interesting being mine is as quoted above. Perhaps I have a misprinted manual, but if I do the dealer says it's 26,000 miles also after checking his book. I will try to get hold of someone at Kawi and find out why the discrepancy.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:07 PM

The Owner's Manual that came with my 2010 900 LT has a March 2009 copyright date.

On page 83 of my VN900DA Owner's Manual, the "Periodic Maintenance Chart" suggests "valve clearance - check" at 15,000 mi. (24,000 km)

Page 109, titled "Valve Clearance", says...
"Valve and valve seat wear decreases valve clearance, upsetting valve timing.

NOTICE: If valve clearance is left unadjusted, wear will eventually cause the valves to remain partly open; which lowers performance, burns the valve and valve seats, and may cause serious engine damage.

Valve clearance for each valve should be checked and adjusted in accordance with the Periodic Maintenance Chart.

Inspection and adjustment should be done by a competent mechanic following the instructions in the Service Manual"

(I will probably go to my Kawa dealer for this. Haven't checked on this service in particular, but everything else they've done for me seems to be competitively priced.)

Right now, my bike is too new for me to be comfortable opening up the engine. Though I am mechanically inclined, I am not a "competent mechanic". I figure, if I screw up something like this, it will cost a LOT more to have a "competent mechanic" fix it...

'10 VN900DA
32,000+ miles
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:22 PM
zig
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Mine says 26,000 miles, but it's on page 75 and the copyright date is May 2008. I'm gonna be p.o.'d if I find out mine is a 2008 model when I was under the impression I was buying a 2009.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 PM

If you are mechanically inclined you can do the valves ,with a manual. Only two things to mess up 1) drop shim in motor -put rag over holes so this don't happen 2)Some have messed up o-ring for spark tube -lube it & it goes @ a angle.Even if you mess that up its cheaper to have spare on hand than to pay for the job. The rockers are spring loaded side ways so its really easy to get @ the shims

It feels good after you learn more about your machine too

06 Vulcan 900 classic-Totaled

Vance & Hines staggered, PC3, K&N in stock opened up box, Darkside

Over & out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode