Cobra Exhuast Question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Cobra Exhuast Question

I am going to buy the cobra speedster sweft exhaust for my 08 vulcan 900 custom, and i need to know what else i need. i am just wondering if the new exhaust will change anything if so is there any other parts that are required? i do not know much about motorcycles and that is why i am asking. i do not want to do something that i will regret later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Bfp

Garage
I would defiantly get a cobra tuner also one of their bitchin new air filters. Or a barons air filter. On the tuner pay the extra 20 bucks and get the one that plugs right in to everything. And you're done. No tuning from there is needed it comes with the correct settings already set. They do tons of dyno testing. My neighbor is a vice president there. He told me just plug it in and go!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 06:49 PM

There are 2 gaskets (1 for each pipe) that form a seal between the head pipe and the cylinder head where the pipe seats into it. Change these when you install the new pipes. I am sure there are people on here who feel you can get away without doing this. These generally are the same people that want to use 99 cent oil from Walmart and $2.00 oil filters. It amazes me that people will buy a fine piece of quality machinery and try to nickel-dime the maintenance. If you don't go to a free flowing air filter you shouldn't have to make any changes to the fuel management system. If you have any excessive deceleration "popping" there is a procedure called marbling that you will find described on here that is simple and costs between nothing and the cost of a glass marble that should help with that. The gaskets are generally a stock item at your local Kawi dealer and should cost about $8.00 for the set of them. Cobra makes nice pipes. RIDE SAFE

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Top Contributor

I just put on some cobra speedster longs and i needed nothing...they were easy to install! 4 nuts on the exhaust head and 4 bolts on the exhaust pipes and they'll come right off, you'll have two metal oring seals inside where the exhaust goes into the head. i didn't know they were ther till i went to put on my cobra's and one fell out, i didnt change them cause the dealer was closed and i wanted my pipes on but that would be up to you if you change them! My cobra's are load! Enjoy your pipes!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08custom View Post
i do not want to do something that i will regret later.
Buy some ear plugs .... hearing loss at 50 is a real bummer ... at 60 it has advantages, you wont hear the old lady bitchen.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:05 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08custom View Post
I am going to buy the cobra speedster sweft exhaust for my 08 vulcan 900 custom, and i need to know what else i need. i am just wondering if the new exhaust will change anything if so is there any other parts that are required? i do not know much about motorcycles and that is why i am asking. i do not want to do something that i will regret later.
New O ring crush gaskets and marble the PAIR system. These two things will go a long ways towards eliminating decel popping. Ear plugs for you will go a long ways towards saving your hearing too.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:44 PM

Garage
keep your stock pips , you will regret it trust me

-2011 nomad
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 PM

Agreed, I have an 07 with the Cobra pipes and nothing was done. Bike runs great, occasional back fire when I let off the the throttle...but nothing really weird. And yes...GET EAR PLUGS!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Top Contributor

its a direct bolt on easy install, you should probaly get new gaskets but its not a show stopper. They should come with removable baffles , if you plan on taking em out do it before you install. I love the sound of the pipes, totally made me love the bike in a new way. I dont think there that loud? I do have hearing loss from iraq and afghanistan though? hahahaha
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advise on the exhaust. I just got done ordering the exhaust and a FI2000r fuel processor today for only $700. I should get the exhaust in about 7 day. I am going to get the new gaskets before i install anything. The only bad thing is that i have to wait until all the snow melts before i can ride, which that will not be for at least another month or so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode