Baron's Big Air Kit removal for cleaning - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:04 AM
shawnturner

Baron's Big Air Kit removal for cleaning

I have a 2009 Vulcan 900 custom. I had the dealer install the Baron's Big Air Kit. How do you get the filter off to clean it & how often should it be cleaned? I would rather clean it then let the dealer do it. Sorry I do not have a picture but I know many people on here have the same BAK.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 AM

There are a couple of hex head screws on the backside of the BAK that go through the filter opening and screw into the outer cover. One of them can be a bit of a pain to get out but if you reach the backside you will feel them.

I'm not sure how often I would say to clean it... More so depends on how dirty it gets! I cleaned mine after about 6000 miles and it definitely needed it, but my bike gets pretty dirty and I didn't keep the rain cover on it.

2008 VN900 Custom
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBadass View Post
There are a couple of hex head screws on the backside of the BAK that go through the filter opening and screw into the outer cover. One of them can be a bit of a pain to get out but if you reach the backside you will feel them.

I'm not sure how often I would say to clean it... More so depends on how dirty it gets! I cleaned mine after about 6000 miles and it definitely needed it, but my bike gets pretty dirty and I didn't keep the rain cover on it.
Let me add that there are two sleeves over the bolts mentioned above that must not get lost as they are spacers so the filter doesn't get crushed when you reassemble the BAK. You will need to buy the K&N recharge kit which will instruct you in how to clean and re-oil your filter. Normally a clean K&N filter element will be pink in color. If it appears charcoal or gray then it's time to clean.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 AM
shawnturner

Thank you EpicBadass & Sojourner! I found a good youtube video of how to put the BAK on a Kawasaki Vulcan. It seems really easy. I was going to have the dealer clean it for me but decided I would rather do it myself like all my oil changes. The dealer was only going to charge me $30.00 to clean which really is cheap if you ask me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode