Barons lowering kit - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Barons lowering kit

Hey everyone.

Does anyone have the Barons front or rear lowering kit installed on there bike?

If so, what are your thoughts about it.

Otherwise, if anyone has other types of lowering kits on your bike what are your opinions on them.

Thanks and stay warm
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 03:14 AM

I got a rear lowering kit and I thought it was a "bulldog" one but I bought it off of ebay and its the slotted one. So I really don't know the brand. If it's the same one here's my review. Simple and well built need slight adjusting to fit. For the install I ended up having to take out my dremel to widen up the slots just a tad so the bolt would fit and used a car jack on the rear tire to push it up to move the link to the slot i wanted. The slotted was real nice because of course I went 3 inches first and I loved everything about it except trying to make a right turn. All you would hear is my pipe, so I deemed it unsafe went up to two and I still drag pipes n boards but its safe imo. The adjustment from three to two was simple n quick loosen it and slide the bracked down n done.
pretty at 3 in (kickstand almost made the bike perfectly upright!:

Father of Rufio

Maria-vn900lt
I've done some things to her
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 06:34 AM
Top Contributor

I got the Scootworks one. They're all pretty much the same, just a longer trailing link.

I went 2" and had problems bottoming out when riding 2 up. I think some work on the splash guard would have helped, but I didn't want to make holes in it for fear that water would go where water shouldn't go.

I ended up with a 1" drop, which doesn't sound like much, but it's a noticeable difference and I like it.

BTW, with the Scootworks kit, it went right in with no adjustments or modifications.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchn47 View Post
Hey everyone.

Does anyone have the Barons front or rear lowering kit installed on there bike?

If so, what are your thoughts about it.

Otherwise, if anyone has other types of lowering kits on your bike what are your opinions on them.

Thanks and stay warm
Nick
I've also got the scootworks on an 09 Custom. Had some bottoming problems when set at 3" but going up to 2" and running rear tire at 40 lbs. with shock set at stiffest setting worked out well. Combined weight 2 up is about 355 lbs.
If you're going to drop the bike make sure you do the mod to remove the grease fittings from the shock pivot. Clearance on them is very limited to begin with. Also be aware that the side stand angle lessens more as you go lower making the bike more likely to tip over if bumped or hit by a seriosly strong wind gust. The '10 models don't need the grease fitting mod as they eliminated them on the bottom of the pivot.RIDE SAFE
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKAY View Post
If you're going to drop the bike make sure you do the mod to remove the grease fittings from the shock pivot. Clearance on them is very limited to begin with.
Great point. In fact, you should do this anyway. Everyone with a 900 should.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Yea i replaced the grease fittings right away. You don't want to end up with the fitting smashed in and then have to fix it.

So all your lowering kits were rear kits only?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 03:39 PM

All I did was drop the back of the bike. Initially I was going to do the front also but the 2" back drop was sufficient. I'm just guessing at this but I assume you could bring the front down some just by moving the forks up in the triple clamp. I would be careful of front end clearances after such a move. More involved would be tearing the front forks apart and installing shorter springs.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Top Contributor

Yeah, I thought I'd lower the rear and ride it like that for a bit before I decided whether or not to do the front.

I liked it, so I left the front alone.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Has any body heard of there being a lowering kit that is hydraulic? I saw an add a lady had for an '08 saying she had hydraulic lowering. Never got an answer on what that meant.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 AM

It's air ride usually not hydraulic I've installed air shocks on cars and the setup for the 900 is about $900 last I looked

Father of Rufio

Maria-vn900lt
I've done some things to her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode