And they wonder why they cant sell bikes ! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

And they wonder why they cant sell bikes !

Yesterday i went to the Toronto Motorcycle Show, I am happy with my bike but i enjoy looking around. I came accross a Victory "Cross Country" and really liked this bike. There was a moment there where i could have quite easliy "pulled the trigger" , traded my 2 bikes and bought the bike there and then.

The pricing at the show was agressive, the bike in blue under the lights just gleamed, looked really sharp and seemed to be calling my name out LOUD.

The problem was simple ..... no salespeople, where were they, drinking coffee, talking to each other, 2 were talking to customers, the other 4 were not interested. I was there for about 15 minutes looking at both this bike and the Victory Vision Tour, i was not climbing on the bikes as i like to ask first, had to get my own brochure and educate myself about the bikes. I left and continued looking around with my buddy.

My buddy has an FJR and is looking to get into the Cruiser Areana as well. We were at the Suzuki display and a C90 caught his eye. He actually got on the bike and tried the seating position out when we were approched by a sales person to whom we had questions.

The questions were basic questions in regards to different models the C90 model range and should of been known by this person, when asked a question he woulld have to run over and ask somebody else and come back and give us the answer, this happened at least 5 times, while we realise he was just "helping out" we still did not get help from a more knowledgable sales person who was still standing at the display counter once again, drinking coffee. ( in fairness, this display was a little busier and most of the salespeople were dealing with customers)

At the Kawasaki display there was no Classic LT or the new/not so new classic with white walls, the new Vaquero was there in red (the color looks better in the flesh) and the sales people were more attentive.

While i realise this is a bike show and there are a lot of tire kickers, the lack of attentive sales people who are able to ...

1..... qualify prospective purchaser's
2..... show interest in selling
3..... have some form of product knowledge
4..... do the job that they are paid to do.

This industry is in turmoil at this current time, bike sales, new and used have taken a huge hit, yet the "Mom and Pop" sales mentallity still exists ... even in the larger dealerships. Both my buddy and i could very easily pulled the trigger on bikes last night and had the financial means to do so. ... Oh well.

I came home last night, walked into my garage, lifted the cover on my "9" , patted her on the batwing and said sorry for almost being unfaithfull.

Just my rant for the day ......... but that Victory Cross Country sure was a niice looking bike ....

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Top Contributor

Wow, that's not saying much for those folks. Surely they weren't burned out already, at the beginning of the show!

I'm going to the Int. Bike show here in Detroit this afternoon. The Victory is one of my main targets. My riding buddy just got a used Victory Hammer, that I've not seen yet. He had a 2007 sportster and says the Victory is twice that bike, easily. Well, going from a sportster to a true cruiser, I guess would be a big deal to him, cuz he didn't want to give me back my 900 when we switched bikes one day.

I also want to look at the new Vulcans and Honda. I'm thinking that I'd like to have a touring bike and keep my 900 for cruising. Best of both worlds? Seems so to me.

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
Wow, that's not saying much for those folks. Surely they weren't burned out already, at the beginning of the show!

I'm going to the Int. Bike show here in Detroit this afternoon. The Victory is one of my main targets. My riding buddy just got a used Victory Hammer, that I've not seen yet. He had a 2007 sportster and says the Victory is twice that bike, easily. Well, going from a sportster to a true cruiser, I guess would be a big deal to him, cuz he didn't want to give me back my 900 when we switched bikes one day.

I also want to look at the new Vulcans and Honda. I'm thinking that I'd like to have a touring bike and keep my 900 for cruising. Best of both worlds? Seems so to me.
Enjoy the day Kerry, they sure are sweet bikes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
Enjoy the day Kerry, they sure are sweet bikes.
Thanks, I hope to have a great time. Never been to a bike show before. But, I'll be one of the tire-kickers. Not ready to buy yet. I want to do a lot more research a make a careful selection, because my next one will likely be my last "motorcycle".

I hope to ride 2 wheels into the next decade, into my 70s, then when I'm 75 or so, I'll build a trike!

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 08:16 AM

bike show

Kerry, where is the bike show located. Nothing to do today, might be a nice day for a ride to the city. Too cold to do much else.

2009 Black Classic

Mustang Seat w/Backrest
Cobra Standard Backrest with Luggage Rack
Smoke Slipstreamer Windshield
Lindby Multibar Engine Guards
Homemade Lowers
Wally World Running Lights
Stebel Air Horn
Vista Cruise Control
Scootworks Front OD Pulley
Stage 2 Debaffle Stock Pipes
170/80/15 Pirelli Rear Tire
Kury Run/Turn/Brake module
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmer140 View Post
Kerry, where is the bike show located. Nothing to do today, might be a nice day for a ride to the city. Too cold to do much else.
Novi Michigan, heres the link

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/Novi

Enjoy the "eye candy"

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmer140 View Post
It's at the Rock Financial complex in Novi. Whiting gave you the main link, but you might want to look at this post and grab the discount code to buy a ticket on line.

I'll be there some time this afternoon and again tomorrow.

That's quite a trek, coming down from Bad Axe. I live near the I-696 and I-94 interchange, so it's not much of a deal for me, basically run 696 west into their parking lot.

If you're inclined, we should do some riding this summer. I used to live in Marysville and really enjoy coming up into the thumb.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:10 AM

I went to the International Motorcycle Show here in Seattle in early December, and while I did the entire show, I did slow down and spend a great deal of time in the Victory display, and, to a lesser degree, Kawasaki and Yamaha (Triumph, unfortunately and inexplicably, wasn't present at the show, though they had a presence (like the other manufacturers in attendence) in the show guide/mag), with probably the most time spent at the Victory display...there's just something about those Victories... Anyway, had someone at both the Kawasaki and Yamaha displays approach me and ask if they could help, but not a single salesman at the Victory dealership did. I wasn't close to pulling the trigger on any of them (though there was a orange model there that really spoke to me), but, hell, they don't know that, and I certainly spent enough time on their models to suggest I was interested in one (and, who knows, maybe they could have talked me into taking that orange one home). So my experience seems to have echoed yours.

On a related matter, I told the Kawasaki rep that I was disappointed about the cancellation of the Mean Streak 1600 model since it was a great option for those of us who want a bigger Vulcan but don't want the touring look and options, and she said, "Yeah, I've been getting that a lot today."

EDIT: Here's the Victory I mention above. Man, I loved that bike.

( Used to have: )
'08 Vulcan 900 Custom:
*Passion Red *Mustang One-Piece Vintage Seat
*Hard-Krome 2.5" Strippers with Smartpartz Hard Kore Baffles
*Cobra Short Sissybar, Pad & Insert *Leatherworks 312 Chopper Bag *Small/Med. Windshield

Last edited by at-home-daddy; 01-08-2011 at 10:30 AM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:36 AM

bike show

Kerry: thanks for the info, it's about 2 hours from Bad Axe to Novi, so that's not too bad. I would like to do some riding if you make it up here. It's a beautiful ride around the lakeshore as we are in a penisula surrounded by water. I have always wanted to take the circle tour around the whole state by haven't done it yet. I'm not big on slab riding so I take the backroads as much as I can all the time. Stay warm.

2009 Black Classic

Mustang Seat w/Backrest
Cobra Standard Backrest with Luggage Rack
Smoke Slipstreamer Windshield
Lindby Multibar Engine Guards
Homemade Lowers
Wally World Running Lights
Stebel Air Horn
Vista Cruise Control
Scootworks Front OD Pulley
Stage 2 Debaffle Stock Pipes
170/80/15 Pirelli Rear Tire
Kury Run/Turn/Brake module
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:42 AM

Whiting57 just what kind of deal was on the cross country? No show here in Houston and just wondering what is being offered. I too really like that bike but the 2 two tone white has got my attention. The blue was my 1st choice but I sat on a white over the holidays and it's sweet. I will say at the dealership I was asking what drive out price would be and it tfrom the salesman to the sales manager and finally some other guy came over and gave me list price with taxes. They really did not want to deal and I was ready to pull the trigger but they did not offer anything off the price or accessories discount.

2014 Honda Gold Wing
2011 Vaquero sold
2009 900lt sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode