Dobeck's Techlusion TFI fuel injection kit - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Dobeck's Techlusion TFI fuel injection kit

I just installed this computer today and would like to know if anyone else is running one on their 900. If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts and share pot settings for the computer.

I'll post my thoughts and installation routine, with pics, later on.

Now I'm gonna go out on the bike for a couple hours and see if I can tell the difference. It's a good day, when I get to ride.

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Cool

I spent the extra $25.00 to get the newer "Electronic Jetkit" from Dobek verses the "Techlusion" ($175.00 delivered). They are manufactured in the same building in Belgrade, Montana. I already had a BAK. Dobek advised me not to install the jetkit until after I replaced the pipes. I ran the recommended settings for a couple months. The bike ran great! Plenty of power through the gears. My mileage dipped to about 38 mpg so I backed off .5 from the green zone. MPGs are up around 40 now. I did not notice a drop in performance.

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)

Last edited by KenDawg; 10-23-2010 at 10:37 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Dunno what the deal is, Ken. I have the instruction book here, which says, "Thank you for choosing the Techlusion Electronic Jet Kit, the TFI..."

I presume that we most likely have the same product.

What are the "recommended" settings that you have. I've been given 3 different sets of "recommended" settings.....

The latest set of "recommended" settings for the vn900 that I have are

Green 2:30
Yellow 3:00
Red 1:30
RPM 4:00

I changed the green settings after doing the 2k rpm test that they outlined. Am now running Green 3:30 to 3:45 or thereabouts. Hard to say exactly with the large arrow and small lines. Also, my 2k rpm test is a guesstimate. I don't have a tach, so just held the throttle open til I thought it was about 2k. Have no real idea if it was close to that or not.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Top Contributor

Kerry,

I am running a Dobek generation 3 fuel controller. I adjust LED lights via push buttons versus pots. This allows for adjustment on the fly if one mounts it on, or near the handlebar. Recommended settings are as follows;

G--5.5
Y--4
R--7
GB-6
YB-2.5
RB-3.5

For anyone reading who is unfamiliar with what we are running, I downloaded the purpose behind each color zone.

GREEN FUEL Feature allows fuel adjustment when the Green zone is active which is typically during idle and cruising conditions.

YELLOW FUEL Feature allows fuel adjustment when the Yellow zone is active which is typically during acceleration conditions.

RED FUEL Feature allows fuel adjustment when the Red zone is active which is typically during full throttle conditions.

GRN LWR SW PT Feature allows adjustment of when the Green zone engages. Typically relates to an RPM value to determine if fuel adjustment should be allowed at idle or not.

YEL LWR SW PT Feature allows adjustment of when the Yellow zone engages.

RED LWR SW PT Feature allows adjustment of when the Red zone engages.

Anyway, how is the 900 running for you now?

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)

Last edited by KenDawg; 10-23-2010 at 10:10 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

You were right the first time, we don't have the same computer.

I've not heard of the one you have, which is quite strange. I bought the one that Dobeck listed as being the model for the vn900. The tech support people never mentioned a newer model, even when I questioned them about the difficulty of adjusting pots on the move. It sounds like the model you have would be much easier to adjust on the fly. I have to stop the bike and get the module out of the saddle bag, find the screwdriver and make the adjustments.

You have many more adjustments and, unfortunately, your settings don't seem to transpose to my unit or vice versa.

I would expect a slight loss in mpg. I've only had it installed for 2 days, so it's not dialed in fully yet, but my impression is that the bike runs smoother and slightly stronger. Dunno if that is the placebo effect or not.

Have you noticed a similar effect?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

As an aside, I noticed the scootworks pulley in your sig. Can I assume you have the front pulley? Do you wish you had both or are you quite satisfied with having only one?

I'm probably going to buy this week. Can't decide if I should get both. My intuition says both would be best. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Top Contributor

Talking

Kerry,

My 900 runs stronger, but only if I am getting on it a little. She really responds to an agressive aproach at the throttle now. That probably doesn't help out my mpgs either. If I am just cruising, she runs quite nicely.

(http://electronicjetkit.com/Cruiser/...number=9120275)

As for the pulley, if you have the $$$, I woulkd buy the rear one. The front one tends to be a little noisy. I would start with one pulley, install and ride for awhile. Then, if you want a little more for the slab, change the other. Some folks have both and love them. Some folks change one and love them. Some install, then go back to stock. Performance is subjective.

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)

Last edited by KenDawg; 10-24-2010 at 09:46 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Thanks, Ken. I got to put over 200 miles on the bike yesterday and would agree that it responds better now than before, but the difference is subtle, most of the time. My mpg is down, so I've got some adjustment wrong and will have to address that soon.

I think you're right about the rear pulley. Lots of bucks though, which would make it harder to sell later, if I wanted to do so.... But, I tend to think that I want another step in high rpm performance, so will probably get one soon. I want to run this 200/70 a little more to see if that is "good enuff". I rather doubt it. I put about 100 miles on the freeway yesterday, at 75+ mph. It could still use another boost, if yesterday is now the new norm. I was fighting a heavy headwind on the return leg though, so I want to do some more tests. Any excuse to ride is a good one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode