Easy way to get at the fuel injectors? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Easy way to get at the fuel injectors?

I got a TFI fuel computer for my 900 and I'm trying to figure out an easy way to install it. The instructions say install time of 30 minutes.

Well, I'm not sure that I'll be that fast. Gotta unplug the fuel injector lead and replace it with the TFI lead, then put the bike's lead into a TFI plug. It'd be very simple if they were in sight and I knew exactly what I was looking for.

Any help would be appreciated. I think I'll probably have to lift the tank.

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Top Contributor

Sending you a PM.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Top Contributor

Only takes 5 minutes to take the tank off. They is fully visible then AND you can route all the wires and strap em to something to keep em from flopping around.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 12:05 PM

Don't even take the tank off, just take the back loose and prop it up using a 2x4. Only hard part of the installation process will be getting the wires unpluged from the injectors and that's just because of the design of the plugs. It's a simple process and might take a little longer then 5 minutes, but not much longer. Small hands are also a plus.......
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Top Contributor

Dude, that 2x4 may work for you but my 290 pound maw feeding meat paws can't hardly get in the crack allowed with it let alone do anything. And I don't have any eyes at the ends of my fingers so my forearms kinda get in the way too. I REALLY need to lose some weight but it'll be a while before my hands get down to skinny enough to be effective. Probably 3 or 4 months after my jaw drops.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwh48 View Post
Don't even take the tank off, just take the back loose and prop it up using a 2x4. Only hard part of the installation process will be getting the wires unpluged from the injectors and that's just because of the design of the plugs. It's a simple process and might take a little longer then 5 minutes, but not much longer. Small hands are also a plus.......
That's pretty much what I did. I pulled the 2 rear tank bolts and propped it up with a wrench. It was a little tight, scraped up my hands pretty good, but it wasn't all that big of a deal changing the FI plugs. I used med sized needle nose pliers to unplug them. Worked fine. Had more trouble trying to snake the wires into the engine compartment...... You're right, though, small hands are definitely a plus. I have fairly large hands, and for a while didn't think I was gonna get by without pulling the tank completely. Still, it only took me an hour from start to finish, so that's not too bad for a hack like me.

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Kerry; 10-23-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode