why don't blinkers have auto shut off? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

why don't blinkers have auto shut off?

When I was learning to ride one of the hardest things I had to learn to remember was to shut off my blinkers. So my question is, why don't all bikes come with auto shut off for the blinkers? I know some of the more exspensive bike have blinkers that shut off automatically why don't all bikes? This is one thing that would not cost alot and it would save lives. Just wondering seems like a no brainer to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw 500 View Post
When I was learning to ride one of the hardest things I had to learn to remember was to shut off my blinkers. So my question is, why don't all bikes come with auto shut off for the blinkers? I know some of the more exspensive bike have blinkers that shut off automatically why don't all bikes? This is one thing that would not cost alot and it would save lives. Just wondering seems like a no brainer to me
Harley has "automatic cancelling blinkers" and as I remember the control module which has the flasher built into it was around $150-$200 bucks. If the flashers failed it was necessary to replace the entire module. Mostly it's a matter of discipline to remember to shut them off after each use. The Harleys timed out and I have found myself in heavy traffic sitting and waiting only to have them shut off prematurely. I guess it's 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Top Contributor

The 900 is something of an entry level bike, and it's priced as such. To add things like self cancelling blinkers, a tach, etc. would add to the cost.

I find myself hitting the cancel button about every 10 seconds sometimes. I've ridden great distances with a blinker on. I've come up to intersections where everyone around me (but me!) was sure I was turning because my blinker said I was. Now I'm a little paranoid and I work that cancel button.

However, if I were to do anything to my blinks it would be adding 4 way flashers for PGR missions.

From the start I've seen my 900 Classic as a platform for tweaking to my needs. I didn't get an LT because I wanted detachable saddlebags and windshield (actually, I got a batwing fairing). I like that it was pretty stripped down and awaiting my personal touch, which seems to always continue to develop

But I digress...

You can find auto cancel kits pretty easily. Google is your friend.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 04:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to cruiser331
Kawasaki has mad the 900 into a starter bike by eliminating to other smaller cruisers.

The EN450 or 454 LTD was a starter bike too and it had a tach, 6 speed trans, alloy wheels, belt drive, AND a self canceling signal. It worked effectively but it only gave you like 6 flashes. It, as is my '08 Nomad, are speed activated. Below a certain speed or at a traffic light it will blink forever. Above a certain speed the 454 would hit it's 6 flashes and click it was off. The Nomad flashes about 12 times before shutting off unless you are sitting still it just flashes and flashes but once you are moving I think it flashes 3 times maximum. The EN mechanically moved the turn signal switch the Nomad just shuts it off.

...and Harley is still trying to build a motorcycle...

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT hued in Luminous Polaris Blue and Atomic Silver ~ named T'Pol ~
Having left space dock for another home planet, a 94 Vulcan 750, named Surak, Wine and Black Cherry
Recently added a sweet 2008 Nomad to my Vulcan galaxy, she is RED and BLACK named T'mere
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

I purchased two small LED red lights and wired them into the signal lines so I see the red blinking out of the bottom of my eye. $15 dollars and now I rarely ride 50' after making a turn without seeing them still on and then cancel. Originally, I put some strip LED's on the mirrors, but didn't like the wire showing as it ran down to the signal lights. So I moved the strips under my floor boards, bought some smaller lights and mounted then to the tree right next to the left and right risers, on the outside. Cheap fix and works great....
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:23 PM

As far as I know, all automobile turn signal cancelers are mechanical. When the wheel comes back after the turn it flips the turn signal arm back. That would be hard to achieve on a cycle since there's no actual turn mechanism as such. Thus the time-out method which as mentioned above has its downfalls as well.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:12 PM

IF we had self canceling signals, the Harley guys would have no reason to talk to you .....

06 Kawi Vulcan Nomad - Cobra Lite Bar, Phat II Risers, Vista Cruise, Krusier Kady, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Mustang w/ Backrest, Vance & Hines Dual Baggers, PC III, Cobra Luggage Rack, Electrical Connection LED R,B, T Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light, Classic Chaps, Avon Cobra's.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Can you ad auto shut off to exsisting blinkers

Thanks everyone for your response to my question. I wonder if one could ad an auto shut off to exsisting blinkers? I just think with all the technology out there somebody could solve the problem. At least have the blinker make a noise to remind the driver that their on.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw 500 View Post
Thanks everyone for your response to my question. I wonder if one could ad an auto shut off to exsisting blinkers? I just think with all the technology out there somebody could solve the problem. At least have the blinker make a noise to remind the driver that their on.
Try this link http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm at the bottom of the page there's a few options for self canceling turn signal modules.

Hope this helps!
LM
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 05:08 AM

blinkers

my nomad has them and it a 99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode