Which windshield is the best for VN900 Custom? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Which windshield is the best for VN900 Custom?

Folks, i have been doing small upgrades to my bike. I started with the footpegs and next handlebar is in the works. Next i do want to get a windshield. Although i am not a big fan of those for they radically change the sleek look of the bike. But highway riding and the wind buffeting makes one tired.

I looked at the kawasaki cafe windshield as it blends well with the bike and is sleek. Also been looking at memphis shades.

What in your experience has provided good wind deflection without the column of air rattling the top of your helmet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Top Contributor

I have stock, but I have been eyeing quick release shields just because I'd like to take off with the wind in my face sometime.

Then again, I commute on my bike and the bugs/gravel/metal parts that the shield has kept off me on the Slab I commute on pretty much makes me want to have the shield on permanent. A quick release though would be nice to pop off so I could hit the NON slab destinations/twistees.

Oh, and 70-80 mph gets old quick without a shield.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:28 PM

Kawasaki cafe windshield is what i have on my bike. I was looking for a windshield that was minimal in size but yet kept alot of wind off me. I'm 6' 1" and this windshield is too short for me. Allows alot of wind in my face. The one place I was trying to eliminate it. Live and learn I'm gonna try the next size bigger from Kawasaki.

2010 Vulcan 900 Custom SE
Kawasaki Cafe' windshield
Kuryakyn front Axel Caps

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 04:22 PM

Looks or Comfort?

I used the Cafe shield for two years and it does take the wind off your chest very well. What it does not do is protect your head. I did not get any buffeting but got tired of cleaning the bugs off my face shield.

I switched out to a Memphis Shades 21" and homemade lowers. Not the best looking on a Custom but I ride for pleasure and it is a great ride now.

It all depends if you want the shield for looks or comfort.

[IMG][/IMG]

John
2007 900 Custom
Plasma Blue
Oxford, MI
VROC 25948
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 05:41 PM

I have a Memphis Shades 17" Slim. And I am upgrading to the 21" Fats and lowers like BlueCruisers.

I'm 6'2" and am tired of the buffeting.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Top Contributor

Howdy,
Having had both the Cafe and the Short OEM here is my experience.
Cafe-look coo, take the air pressure of your chest but puts it right in your face.
Short-still looks cool but its only a 15" so it does not offer that full protection at highway speeds or those long touring days. This one puts the air in you upfer face so i much better than the cafe.

Today I should get my new 21" so I will post how it works for me. It's funny, I once said hell no I would never use a large windshield and look at me now. Best advise is go and get fitted at your local bike dealer and they will advise which one will offer the best protection for your size.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 06:22 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
personally if you had to put a windshield on a custom... i would say the cafe.

i don't see many sportster or similar style bikes with shields on them... the look of the bike is changed when you put one on and besides, they were not publicized as "touring" bikes... that's why they made the classic and classic lt. if you turn the custom into a bagger style, then don't worry about the looks so much and just get what makes your ride better... there was one i saw (the guy on here with the green kawi with chick speedo) that pimped out his custom with everything including a batwing, it don't look like a custom any more other than the front wheel but it looked sweet.

again, that's MHO... and my rides have been fine doing 80 on Rt.1 riding down to ocean city, md... wind, yes... but i got my bike to enjoy the rides not to be able to store a bunch of stuff or pack up clothes for long trips. that's what the people in the car going to the same place as me are for!!

to each his own! just have fun with it no matter what!!

'02 Drifter 1500
... just an awesome ride!

'08 Custom-ized
Candy Lime Green
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 06:45 AM

Great thread, many people questioning like we are, I am leaning towards the Flyscreen, I have rode for long distance without, but a little shielding might be nice, but do not want to give up the looks as most worry about on the Custom. Same comment hard to spend $130+ on something so small

Tires Down!!!
2009 Vulcan 900 Custom
Mustang Day Tripper w/upgrade insert
Cobra Swept Exhaust
Kuryakyn ISO Grips with throttle boss and Stiletto Ends
Kuryakyn Stiletto footpegs front, ISO Wings Rear
Irate Flame grill and regulator cover
Xelement Saddlebags and Tool Bag
Aftermarket Flame Mirrors
Custom Speedo Dial (R.I.P. w/respect to the creator)
Adjure 7" Ventura Flame with Skull lens
Barron 2" lowering kit, GenMar 2" Risers
Cobra FI2000r 2-2-1
Thunder MFG Tornado Intake
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:06 AM

I had the OEM short 15 inches did a good job and didn't take away form the looks of the custom. Recently changed to the PlexiFaring II for the simple reason I wanted the BatWing look with out the weight.

2016 Indian Dark Horse Chief w/Distressed tan leather
2010 VN 900 Custom SE Tourer
F&S SE Back Rest w/3" extensions
Roadkrome Sturgis Hardbags
Corbin Dual Tourer
Turn Signals w/Smoke Covers
Genmar Risers
Black Mirrors
Black 09 SE Pipes Stage 2 De-baffle
Blacked-Out Handlebar Controls
2008 HD FLH Fairing w/stereo and 6in shield
CC Crash Bar Black
Passenger and driver Floor Boards (Chrome)
Pirelli 200 Rear&90/90 Front

USCG CWO (Ret)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 AM

I purchased the Memphis Shades "Demon" a few weeks ago. Looks great on the bike and is a nice comfort feature without taking away the look of the custom. I just like the idea of bugs on my windshield versus bugs on the leather.

'07 Custom
Mustang Seat
Memphis Shades Demon
Cobra Short Round Sissy Bar
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn GranTour Travel Bag
Metzler 90/90/21 Front
Metzler 200/70/15 Rear
DeBaffled and Happy
DeBadged and Happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement