Aftermarket Wheels - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Wheels

Just wondering if there is a source for reasonably priced aluminum alloy rims to fit the 900 Classic LT, to replace the stock spoked rims. Would like to use tubeless tire.

Also wondering if there is any advantage to running radials instead of bias ply tires. Thanx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomads2 View Post
Just wondering if there is a source for reasonably priced aluminum alloy rims to fit the 900 Classic LT, to replace the stock spoked rims. Would like to use tubeless tire.

Also wondering if there is any advantage to running radials instead of bias ply tires. Thanx in advance.
try meancycles.com . Key in your model year and model, it will list the accessories for that bike ... like these.

As far as tires go .... i have no idea

cheers maurice

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Top Contributor

FWIW, the rear rim from the 900 Custom will fit the Classic, and it's a solid cast/tubeless rim. Takes the same size tire (up to a 200/70-15 in a couple of brands, like Metz). Since it's mostly covered by that classic rear fender, maybe that will help ya save some bucks and mean ya only need to find a front rim?

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Hey, Thanx!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Lifetime Premium

I replaced my rear with a custom rear. Got it used for $125.00 Straight swap-out and a lot less worry about going flat in the back woods and having to walk. Most of the time, (most!) it will be the rear wheel that picks up the nail, so carrying a plug kit and a small slime air compressor to pump the tire back up is all you need to keep from getting stranded. Not sure why they don't give the classic or LT buyer the choice between tubeless and tubed rims; ... seems like a no-brainier on the part of Kaw. to provide the customer with an extra choice to match riding style with technical requirements. Especially in light of the fact that a lot of 900 riders use this bike to go on long tour rides.....(I did 2700 miles on a trip out west this last summer). Now I know the plug shouldn't be ridden on for long distance, but it will get you from poduck Arkansas backwoods to big city at 40 MPH so that you can replace the tire. I have heard of many riding on the plug for long distances but don't recommend it.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa afterthought View Post
Not sure why they don't give the classic or LT buyer the choice between tubeless and tubed rims; ... seems like a no-brainier on the part of Kaw.
Classic = old style = wire wheels .... Custom = new style = cast rims, could you imagine the inventory as follows ...

classic lt wire rims
in both colors of course
classic lt cast rims

classic wire rims
in both colors of course
classic cast rims

Custom wire rims
in both colors or course
Custom Cast rims

12 Different bikes of the same model.

Bike shops are doing all they can to stay open without doubling inventory or accessories like having a bunch of rims, wire or cast hanging around.

Manufactures are reducing the number of models to reduce manufacturing and inventory costs for themselves as well as dealers.

You cant please a 100% of the people 100% of the time, hence the "aftermarket Industry".

Henry Ford had the right idea for the T Model .... you can have any color as long as it is black.

GM tried it the other way .... Pontiac, Saturn, Chevy, Buick, Olds, Gmc .... mostly the same vehicals, just different cosmetics for the most part .... sent them right down the tubes.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Lifetime Premium

I disagree. The customer is moving towards more customization, which means the company that figures out how to support this need is the company that will stay profitable. In this instance, Kaw. could defer the final assembly of wheels to the dealer to install at time of delivery. Since all the wire wheels are the same, and all the solid wheels are the same, (with the exception of the smaller front wheel on the Custom, it would be a simple inventory for the dealer to manage. So, instead of shipping 12 different bikes , you ship only the different colors, and final assemble the wheels at the dealer......based on customer input........problem solved......
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawa afterthought View Post
In this instance, Kaw. could defer the final assembly of wheels to the dealer to install at time of delivery.
How do you do a test run on the factory dyno without wheels ???
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red|Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan20164 View Post
How do you do a test run on the factory dyno without wheels ???
Your motorcycle is shipped in a crate and put together by the shop... The engine might be run on a dyno, but not the assembled bike.

As for the wheels, having only two options keeps costs down. If they offered your choice of wheels on delivery, the price would go up.

I grabbed a fistful of throttle and all my worries disappeared.
|| Former President | Vulcan Riders Association | Chapter 1-30 ||
|| 2012 Kawasaki Nomad | EJK Fuel Controller | Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut | Thunder Manufacturing BAK ||
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Very simple to install and uninstall a test wheel and tire. I worked in auto assembly for 20 years, and it very easy to install what would be called a slave tool, (in this case tire) and then pop it back off for final packaging. Bikes are shipped somewhat in a state of disassemble as it is, the wheels would just be another simple process for the packaging engineers to design around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode