WallyWorld lights on my 2007 Custom - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

WallyWorld lights on my 2007 Custom

Just finished mounting my WallyWorld 50 watt Chrome Halogens ($18.99) on my 2007 Custom.

I wanted simple, I wanted them close to the headlight, and I wanted no extra holes drilled.

I went to Lowes and bought some 1/4" x 3/4" Aluminum strip ($5.99).

Cut two pieces about 5" long. Drilled a 3/8" hole on both of them on one end about 1" from the end. On the other end I drilled a 5/16" hole about 1" from the end.

Removed the two bolts that holds the headlight to the tripletree. Put the strips between the headlight mount and the tripletree and then slipped the bolts back in. (Wait to tighten when you have them aligned).

Bolted the lights to the other end of the mounts.

Ran the wiring into the headlight and wired it to the turn signals. Changed the turn signal fuse from a 10amp to a 15amp. (Please don't tell me how I shouldn't have done that. The wire for the turn signal is rated up to 16 amps so it can hold the extra 8 amps needed for the headlights just fine.)

Pulled the bike up to the garage door and aligned everything, then tightened everything up.

Here are the pics.

Last edited by hailrazer; 10-16-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 05:57 PM

Looks good, nice job. I'd be curious to know if you'll get much vibration evident in the beam at night, especially on bumps in the road. Maybe not much, looks like a solid enough mount. Like I said just curious. Did you wire in a switch?

All for Jesus Christ

Gibby

2007 Vulcan 900 Classic
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 06:37 PM

Nice!!! I was looking at similar lights that are plastic housing since I live near the coast and all aftermarket parts rust. How much light do those put out? Is it significant improvement at night?
Love your engine bars, I just installed the same ones on mine. $79 delivered, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	900 crash bars.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	3266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	3267  

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibnmo View Post
Looks good, nice job. I'd be curious to know if you'll get much vibration evident in the beam at night, especially on bumps in the road. Maybe not much, looks like a solid enough mount. Like I said just curious. Did you wire in a switch?
No switch. They come on with the bike. I guess I could wire a switch but extra lights mean extra safety. No vibration that I can tell. Had a friend go ahead of me and he didn't see them vibrating or "jumping"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic ioina View Post
Nice!!! I was looking at similar lights that are plastic housing since I live near the coast and all aftermarket parts rust. How much light do those put out? Is it significant improvement at night?
Love your engine bars, I just installed the same ones on mine. $79 delivered, right?
They are 50 watts each but I don't know how many lumens. Both of them together put out more than the low beam but they have a wider "spread". Which is nice to brighten up things on the sides of the road. And yes it is a HUGE improvement at night.

Yep same bars and at $79 what a deal !!!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Top Contributor

Those white wires when left in the breeze will eventually chafe, deteriorate and blow a fuse. Run some heat shrink or some other type of cover on them.

I'm on my second set.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Those white wires when left in the breeze will eventually chafe, deteriorate and blow a fuse. Run some heat shrink or some other type of cover on them.

I'm on my second set.
I wire tied them tight to the other wires going into the headlight. And these seem to have some kind of protective "braiding" over them. But yea I might heatshrink them just to be sure.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
a switch is highly recommended for any accessory that draws significant power.

don't they recommend a 20AMP fuse for installing the lights (mine did)? Where did you tap power off of?? if in the headlight, that ACCESSORY power is only rated for 10AMPS -- i found that out the hard way when i wired mine there!

installing the switch with a relay just means a little bit of extra wiring... i hid everything under the bottom side cover on the right side of the bike with the switch popping out the front of the top cover... worked well, but my lights were crappy poop boy cheap-o's... i need to try better ones. i know they have upgraded H3 bulbs to 100WATTS??? Anyone ever try them? too much for the system?

Q: Does anyone notice that revving the engine during taking off causing an increase in brightness?

here's the light/bracket setup on mine, and the switch... did the same thing with the aluminum but used a piece of angle channel for more rigidness. i hate the "black" of the bracket on them... i think i am gonne get the wally ones for better looks!!

'02 Drifter 1500
... just an awesome ride!

'08 Custom-ized
Candy Lime Green

Last edited by jagered; 10-17-2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason: added pics
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagered View Post
a switch is highly recommended for any accessory that draws significant power.

don't they recommend a 20AMP fuse for installing the lights (mine did)? Where did you tap power off of?? if in the headlight, that ACCESSORY power is only rated for 10AMPS -- i found that out the hard way when i wired mine there!

installing the switch with a relay just means a little bit of extra wiring... i hid everything under the bottom side cover on the right side of the bike with the switch popping out the front of the top cover... worked well, but my lights were crappy poop boy cheap-o's... i need to try better ones. i know they have upgraded H3 bulbs to 100WATTS??? Anyone ever try them? too much for the system?

Q: Does anyone notice that revving the engine during taking off causing an increase in brightness?
OK I will try to answer this.

A set of two 50watt lights will draw a max of around 8.5 amps, so no a 20 amp fuse is not necessary.

I hooked the lights to the running light wire. It is rated for over 16 amps (the wire is). I installed a 15 amp fuse. The max the lights and the running lights will draw is maybe 13 amps.

So I could have used a switch (relay) or I could have just upped the fuse from a 10 amp to a 15 amp (which I did).

If I have any problems or notice excessive heat on the wire I will lower the fuse and put in a relay.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Lifetime Premium

Lights look great! How many amps output are the alternators rated at on your 900s. Just trying to compare it to the EN500 output (17 amps). Thanks.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 AM

hailrazer, do you have the brand/model of those lights? Can you get a night time picture with and without the added lights posted? It would be great to see a comparison.

Retired Military - US Navy, US Army, US Air Force.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT - Candy Red-Metallic Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode