Anyone used this Oil Filter Gadget? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Anyone used this Oil Filter Gadget?

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/11-0063/

Seems like a good idea, but wonder how effective it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 03:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to Cruiserone Send a message via Skype™ to Cruiserone
you can get a magnetic oil sump plug as well !!

This one looks to me just like a "making money idea" still a magnet though - but if it really catches mini metal bits ?

Cheers
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 09:24 AM

There's an article in one of the newstand Motorcycle Magazines that suggests buying a pack of the rare earth magnets from RadioShack and putiing one on the oil plug. Says it will trap any and all metal. Then just clean the magnet off with every oil change.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

We just need one to trap the metal shavings, AND trip the traffic lights! I'd buy that one!

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 06:26 PM

Find a old computer hard drive and inside you will find 2 very strong magnets, put one on your filter and the second on your drain plug! Might set off light sensors also since I rarely have to wait at a red light.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Top Contributor

Just a curiosity question, but aren't the engine blocks made of aluminum as well as the pistons and rods. I assume the valves and crank shaft are carbon steel, but the main parts are aluminum right? And magnets don't pick up non-ferrous metals like aluminum or stainless steel. I'm just thinking that this magnet may not be all its cracked up to be.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
The wear and metal particles folks are concerned about keeping out of the oil are from the rings, steel piston sleeves, and bushings. I'd expect most of the particles from bushings would be brass and non-ferrous, but the steel from the rings and sleeves would be attracted to the magnet.

Although i'm in the magnet on the drainplug group, i'm not really convinced about the effectivness. The oil filter should remove any particles before recirculating to the engine. It sure makes you feel better to think that it helps though when you wipe the particles off the magnet.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

But i think it mentioned something about particles that the filter cant catch as they are so tiny.

I might just give it a try during my next oil change and see what i find. Hopefully not nails and screws picked up from the road, which on afterthought seems like a good idea as well.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
But i think it mentioned something about particles that the filter cant catch as they are so tiny.
I might just give it a try during my next oil change and see what i find. Hopefully not nails and screws picked up from the road, which on afterthought seems like a good idea as well.
I dunno....
I'm NOT a mechanic, and I don't play one on TV, but I would presume that any metal bits that are hitching a ride in your oil are going to get trapped by your oil filter, and anything that doesn't will not be much of a problem for your rings and bearings, or anything else. This is especially true if you use a top shelf filter, as we worrisome motorcyclists almost always do. It's interesting that a $2.99 Fram filter is good enough for a passenger car for most of these same folks, even though the average price for a new car in the US is north of $25,000, as opposed to a $6-7,000 motorcycle, but that's the motorcycle biz for you.
Most touring bikes out there seem to have no problem racking up 100,000 miles with 5 micron particles (ferrous or otherwise) zinging around in their oil. Honda's motors average 100HP/Liter. We have 50. Their engines are pretty dang tight, (Ours? well, you do the math...)and yet no manufacturer has seen fit to stick a $1 "rare-earth" magnet into their filters---BTW...why do they call them "rare" when you can find them in any computer disc drive?

Add to this... that in my (albeit limited) 20-some years of riding, I have yet to see ANY motorcycle dead on the side of the road as a result of a blown engine. I've also never seen a motorcycle that has undergone a failure related engine transplant - unless you count the folks who have a dresser drawer full of drag slips. Most Vulcaneers put less than 50,000 very PAMPERED miles on their bikes. Some a LOT less than that. How many engine rebuilds will one of these gollywhoppers really save you?

IMHO, This device ranks in the same category as designer spark plugs that guarantee to turn your bike into an asphalt eating monster, or those daffy magnetic (funny...it's always magnets... ) devices that you clamp to your fuel line to discombobulate the molecules to improve your fuel efficiency...or maybe those tornado thingys that you put into your air breather to increase you air fuel mix.

Hey....JMHO. If it triggers red lights (or anything else) for you...then maybe it will not be completely useless depending on where you live. I haven't noticed that problem where I live.

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Last edited by ETC(SS); 10-18-2010 at 04:15 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 06:46 PM

Gimick. But if it'll trigger a redlight I'll buy two. I plan my commute around redlights that arent on timers.

Hard Krome pipes
Cobra engine guard
K&N air filter
Cobra rear floorboards
Mustang seat
cup holder (best accessory ever!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode