front wheel wobble at 30-40mph - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

front wheel wobble at 30-40mph

My bike has a definite front wheel wobble at 30-40, especially 35mph, if I'm not holding onto the bars with my standard grip. I can certainly feel it when I have strong control of the bars.

It's really pronounced if I run with only one hand and a very light touch on the grip. If I let it continue, eventually it would worsen to the point of causing a crash.

So, I'm in the dealership today, setting an appt to have that looked at, along with some other issues and the mechanic told me that ALL bikes do that. He said that the wheels are unstable at such low speeds and that all bikes have that wobble at ~35 mph. Why don't they wobble at even lower speeds?

Well, color me stupid, but I've had a number of bikes, back in the 60's and 70's, the last being a Honda 750. I don't recall having a single one of them do that, ever, if there wasn't something broken.

Now, that's over 30 years ago, so I've missed a lot of biking in the years hence. So what's the deal? Do you guys have this front wheel wobble too or is this guy trying to give me a snow job?

thanks

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Top Contributor

I have a 09 classic LT and mine did the same thing! I would let go of the handle bars and it would start to shake. You can try having them rebalance the front or you can do what i did and get rid of the crappy dunlops and put a set of mt66 perelli tires on and had them balanced and my bike rides and handles great and no more shakes. by the way..find a new dealership, sound like they dont have a clue!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard rider View Post
I have a 09 classic LT and mine did the same thing! I would let go of the handle bars and it would start to shake. You can try having them rebalance the front or you can do what i did and get rid of the crappy dunlops and put a set of mt66 perelli tires on and had them balanced and my bike rides and handles great and no more shakes. by the way..find a new dealership, sound like they dont have a clue!
That's what I thought..... That bites.... I liked these guys, and they're only 2 miles from my house, but if they're going to do me that way, I'll have to find another dealer.

I've got a set of Pirelli Night Dragons on the way. They'll be on the bike next week.

Thanks for the feedback, it's really appreciated.

2010 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 07:24 AM

I'm very new to riding. (I've had my first bike, 900 custom, since August). I haven't noticed any wobble. Believe me, I would notice. I am very cautious and would probably get very nervous if I experienced something like that. Sounds like it'd be worth looking for a new dealer, if only to see if you get the same response.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Top Contributor

You are most definetly going to need to find a new dealer, they are full of $h!t. No bike should have a wobble, and it is stupid and unsafe for them to even say that. If you still have the wobble after the new tires are put on, there are a couple other things that could cause it. The steering head could be getting loose, check that the rear tire is not out of alignment {belt tracking will tell you that}
I had a real bad wobble a couple tires ago, tried a few remedies, reballance, dynabeads, steering head, alignments {front and back} nothing worked. Then with about 3000 miles on that tire, one day about 50 miles from home I noticed a small blister on the front tire, by the time I got home it had turned into this.

When they took the tire off it had delaminated nearly all the way around on the inside. New tire on, no more wobble, can coast to a stop with no hands {not that I do that}, smooth and straight.

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Top Contributor

HEY, that looks like my old Pirelli. HMMMMMM Maybe the nail didn't cause the problem in the first place.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kerr View Post
You are most definetly going to need to find a new dealer, they are full of $h!t. No bike should have a wobble, and it is stupid and unsafe for them to even say that. If you still have the wobble after the new tires are put on, there are a couple other things that could cause it. The steering head could be getting loose, check that the rear tire is not out of alignment {belt tracking will tell you that}
I had a real bad wobble a couple tires ago, tried a few remedies, reballance, dynabeads, steering head, alignments {front and back} nothing worked. Then with about 3000 miles on that tire, one day about 50 miles from home I noticed a small blister on the front tire, by the time I got home it had turned into this.
When they took the tire off it had delaminated nearly all the way around on the inside. New tire on, no more wobble, can coast to a stop with no hands {not that I do that}, smooth and straight.
What brand and model tire was that?

2010 Vulcan 900 Custom SE
Kawasaki Cafe' windshield
Kuryakyn front Axel Caps
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Top Contributor

Bikes do NOT wobble like that. When everything is right with your bike you can ride non stop without touching the handlebars at any speed. Sometimes you can have problems when the front tire is too low on inflation, it will wobble then. But something has to be wrong. And if ALL bikes do that then those guys that stand on the friggin tanks of their sportbikes are defying nature. (they actually are but I'm trying to make a point here) Our bikes are more unstable than that. I've yet to see a guy stand up, turn around and ride a cruiser backwards at 60 mph. I've seen the video of that douchey Ghost Rider do that and flip off the cops that we're following him. I so hope he goes right into a retaining wall and kills himself before he causes harm to one more person. But thats beside the point too. Bikes are inherently stable at speed, otherwise we wouldn't be able to ride them at all. Proof? Balance on your bike while its holding still. Now, get moving at just a couple miles an hour. NOW do that at 10, easy huh?

I hate it when shops talk out there butt like that.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Top Contributor

perelli dragons (NICE)...i think you will enjoy them alot better than dunlop, especially in the curves! I hope that solves your wobble.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinnitro View Post
What brand and model tire was that?
its a metzler 880

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode