rear gear - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

rear gear

Hello All,

Newbe here asking questions..I know you can change out differential gear ratios in cars to increase highway speeds/lower RPMs etc. Can you do the same with the Vulcan? If the stock gear is a good blend of highway and around town gearing, can I change it more of a highway set up?

thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Top Contributor

Most folks, including me, are swapping out the front pulley to get lower rpm at higher speed. The company that makes the pulley is called Scootworks. Just Google "scootworks". Then search their site by the bike model. They also make a rear pulley replacement. If you change both you get a huge difference. Most people just do the front one, but some do both.

A neat side affect of a front pulley change is that the stock speedo is now suddenly correct to within about 1/2mph.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Top Contributor

Yeah I would advise to do both to really see a difference. When you open the sw website you'll see that adding only one the difference is very minimal. I had one but took it off due to belt noises. It turned out I had rec'd a defective pulley but many have reported belt noises as well. Mine were really loud and would not go away. I even had a professional at the kawa dealer work on it and that's who said I had rec'd a defective item and pointed out why. By adding one you will gain about 5mph meaning that before at 65+ you will feel the bike to buzz and now it will be at 70+. Some have reporeted adding both you can cruise very smooth at 75mph wich is my kinda if driving. Hopefully by xmas I will order both.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 03:58 PM

I'm not sure, but I believe there are folks out there who have mounted a 200-series rear tire to replace the OEM 180. If my memory serves, there are rear tire replacements that slightly lower your highway RPM...not much, but it will gain you something, and some folks out there like that "phat" look. The "search" function will answer that question for you.
As for me (and ONLY me...) I'm waiting for Scootworks, and some folks in this forum to work some of the bugs out of the cogs and pulleys show before I look at pulling the trigger on that mod.
At 350 bucks a pop (!!), I'm not willing to hazzard a drive belt on this alternative----yet.

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Hello All,

Newbe here asking questions..I know you can change out differential gear ratios in cars to increase highway speeds/lower RPMs etc. Can you do the same with the Vulcan? If the stock gear is a good blend of highway and around town gearing, can I change it more of a highway set up?

thanks,

Mike
Jeep Pirate and Classtom provide good information. I changed out my front pulley and now highway driving is quite nice. I can move 75-80 comfortably, and as previously stated, the Speedo is spot on. Some say the difference is minimal, however, I felt a very noticeable change. I do have some belt noise, however, it is not overly obnoxious. Neither I, not the dealer mechanic could get it to go away completely. I do not plan on getting the rear pulley because I still like to get on it a little in the twisties.

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 04:00 PM

Just changed my tires out (9k miles on stock Dunlops). Put on new Perellis. Had scootworks front pulley and put it on at same time. Took wheels off myself and brought them to the dealer to change tires. When I put the rear wheel back on I was careful to adjust the wheel so that the belt would ride in the middle of the pulley(always rode up against left side since new and dealer told me that was normal). Had trouble getting it to stay there through full rotation of wheel. Fired up the bike on stand to observe the belt movement and immediately noticed that the pulley was warped. Had very noticable wobble. Don't know if this was since new or if dealer screwed it up on tire changing machine. Called dealer and am bringing it in for them to check out when it stops raining. Has anyone else noticed rear pulley being misshapen?

2009 CLASSIC LT, RED TITANIUM
WESTERN MASS
MG Cycles engine Guard
Cobra Light bar w/Visors
Demon Cycles Tachometer
Shark 100w stereo
Fully debaffled
Scootworks Front pulley
Luggage rack
Kurayakyn flame grips
Stebel Air Horn

Mark
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Top Contributor

Been running a front pulley since the fall of 2007 except for several months last year that I put the OEM on because people the KNEW told me it wasn't worth having on.

It WAS TOO and I rejoiced when I put it back on AND started a thread on this here forum when I got it done.

I don't have any funny squeaks or noises or worn out things or broken belts, neither do my friends in town who also have the pulley. You can play with rear tire sizes OR get a rear pulley from either Scoots or the other guy 'Marvin?' I think his link is in the above thread.

Plenty of happy customers and a couple that aren't. No one mod is for everybody, other than a good ride. I think we all enjoy that.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/White
[QUOTE=MrClean;84397]Been running a front pulley since the fall of 2007 except for several months last year that I put the OEM on because people the KNEW told me it wasn't worth having on.

It WAS TOO and I rejoiced when I put it back on AND started a thread on this here forum when I got it done.

MrClean,

I happened to read that thread and therefore, made the decision to purchase the front pulley from Scootworks. I am happy with the change. Thanks for sharing your perspective on such matters.

KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

I agree with KenDawg, I purchased and installed it after reading several of the responses to MrClean's thread. Couldn't be happier, although I did start to get some noise from the belt. I tried some belt dressing and loosened up the belt a bit, but that made the belt noise more pronounced, especially at 25 to 45 mph. So, I tightened up the belt somewhat and rubbed the belt down with one of my backpackers candles,(Wally World sells them) and now 300 miles after the adjustment, am squeek free. Hope it stays that way. Thanks again to the service from MrClean......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode