Lost all my oil thru vent hose - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Lost all my oil thru vent hose

Riding home last night (28 miles) i noticed a slight oil smell after parking so i just figured it was a little that dripped on the exhaust from the air filter! It was still dark when i left for work about a mile from the house and i don't start the bike till its outta the driveway but when i was getting helmet strapped on and cig lite i noticed a dark spot under my normal parking spot and assumed it was a shadow or dew from the cover! My mom txt me and said there's a huge oil spot where the bike goes and i looked at bike to find a small quarter size spot under it at work! When i got off and pulled the air cover it drained another 2-3oz and the filter and intake had taken an oil bath! I pulled front spark plug but don't seem to see any oil on it also no smoke from exhaust or oil smell! ANYONE HELP need to know if im looking at major problems or just one time thing!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Top Contributor

First things first, level the bike and check the oil level in the sight glass.

Second, Oil normally collects in the air filter. The breather line is attached to the back of the front jug and the air that comes from it is misty with oil. That travels straight to the air filter housing and collects in the bottom and as you've noticed, on the filter. If you fill the oil over half in the sight-glass it aggravates the whole situation. If this was the first time you changed your filter or looked at you got to see the results.

If you've got oil in the sightglass around half way, everything is normal. If it's empty, you've got problems that will involve opening that engine up.

Now, if you want to get away from this problem in the end, get the tank off and pull that hose. Take it to the auto parts store and get an aftermarket filter (over there by the chromed high performance parts) that fits, a couple of feet of hose that will fit between and not be affected by the oil and a cap to plug the back of the air filter with. If they don't have it you can just cut a piece of the line you have, shove a wire nut into it and put that on your air filter just to close it up.

Hook the new hose on the engine where it was, route it up to the frame back over the rear jug and into the shock absorber well. Put the filter on it and let it hang there. If you want to get fancy, find some way mount it. Now the vent is going back there instead of into the air filter. I've had mine like this for two years and have never seen a drip of oil. 95 percent of my time the bike is parked in my garage or outside my window at work. No drips.

There is a thought that simply running the hose up to the frame and back down might actually be enough for the oil mist to collect in the hose and end up back in the engine. So the aftermarket filter might not be necessary.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

MrClean, thanks for these instructions. During my first 10,000 miles, I did not take off the air filter cover, and as you might expect, when I did, there was a pretty good amount of oil collected at the bottom of the air housing. So, now I check it every 3000 mile oil change and wipe out the excess, but am interested in doing the mod. that you explain above. A couple of questions. Is there only one discharge hose coming from the top of the front jug, or is there one from each jug? Also, when you instruct to purchase a couple of feet of hose that will fit between, what are you referring to as far as fitting between. And last question, the aftermarket filter, will it have to be changed at regular intervals because of oil buildup, or will it allow any excess oil to drip out. My Honda 750 actually had a glass bottle rigged to the air box that you unscrewed and drained periodically. I wonder if that would be a better way to capture the oil than an aftermarket filter.........
Thanks for the suggestion..........!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Top Contributor

It's the PCV vent and it's close to the bottom of the front cylinder but in between the front and back. I think I meant by fitting that it would fit the nipples, correct inner diameter. And it's a couple feet I think, I didn't measure so you'll have to figure out yourself. Get a piece of string and route it the way you're going to do it and see how long it is. Remember that the thicker hose might need to be longer then the string.

Mines still sitting there in the well. It's dirty, maybe a bit oily, but seems to be doing it's job. If you put it on disply, as some have. You'll want to keep it clean. Looked to be made out of the same material K&N's were so just use that cleaning kit. Don't think you'd have to oil it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode