Avon 200 vs Metzler 200? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Avon 200 vs Metzler 200?

does anybody prefer one over the other. I have noticed that the avon looks larger even though they are the same dimensions. Right now i am leaning towards the Avon Venom.

2009 Vulcan Custom SE

Add ons:
Black Crash bar
Custom Black Passenger backrest
Black passenger floorboards
Switchblade Cafe Windshield
Mustang Touring Seat-----best money I ever spent!!!!
AVON VENOM 200 rear tire
Completely Debaffeled

My Bike :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Did some research and went with the avon. Got it here locally for 200 mounted.

2009 Vulcan Custom SE

Add ons:
Black Crash bar
AVON VENOM 200 rear tire
Completely Debaffeled

My Bike :

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Top Contributor

Yes the Venom is a larger tire than the Metz even though they should be the same. I have the Avon on the rear and a Metzler on the front and I prefer the Avon brand over the Metz. The avon I bought new but on craigslist with a shelf live of like 7yrs and the metz I got brand new and the avon seems to be holding much better than the metz. On the metz I can see cracking and some wear while the avon still looks like new. Price difference is not much so I would highly recommend the avon at least over the dunlop or the metz.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:07 AM

1 Vote for Metzeler

I went with the Metzeler ME880's. I've read good and bad about both, but not as much bad as the OEM Dunlops. My local M/C shop mechanic could get me either but he said he's had less complaints about the Metz's. And no matter what you do; I'd get both from the same manufacturer and both the same model. Of course, get the proper front and rear tire. Metzeler also recommends a 200 mile break-in period with speeds not exceeding 60mph and they also recommend higher inflation pressures than what's in the Kawi manuals. I wouldn't doubt that the differences in tire construction (carcass, tread and compound) between manufacturers may show up as unfavorable handling characteristics with different manufacturer's tires front and rear especially considering such a wide tire in the rear with a relatively skinny tire up front. And it is quite common to have slight differences in actual physical tire size and the specified or marked size. You'll see that in automotive tires also. I've had the ME880's on for 3 weeks now and the bike handles much better. Gone is the buzz in the handlebars and squirmy front end, feels more positive. Of course this is all subjective, but the Dunlops would track cracks and grooves so much so that it would surprise me. The Metzís don't seem to be as prone to follow or track grooves or grates on bridges. Good luck.

'11 1700 Nomad Candy Neptune Blue/Metallic Phantom Silver
Bikes I've owned over the years:
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
1980 Yamaha XS750 Special
1978 Honda CB400
1975 Honda SL125
Memories of what never was become the good old days....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 PM

I just ordered the 200/70/15 metz Everyone i talk to says its the better tire Im getting it on in a week or less
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:19 PM

I just ran through the comments on this subject on a couple of other forums (it was all I could find).

Common opinion is against Dunlop. Both Avon and Metzler are liked but, you can find as many that prefer one as the other. It is probably subjective to some extent. The problem with Metzlers is that, they make tires in Brazil which are smaller than the stated size and seem to handle differently. Overall opinion is, ask where the tires are made and get the ones made in Germany.

One thing I know.They put Avons on Rolls Royce & Bentley where price is no object and customer satisfaction is everything. When the time comes, I think I will go that way. Just my opinion.

Rifle, Caliber 7.62 mm, M14
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
I just ran through the comments on this subject on a couple of other forums (it was all I could find).

Common opinion is against Dunlop. Both Avon and Metzler are liked but, you can find as many that prefer one as the other. It is probably subjective to some extent. The problem with Metzlers is that, they make tires in Brazil which are smaller than the stated size and seem to handle differently. Overall opinion is, ask where the tires are made and get the ones made in Germany.

One thing I know.They put Avons on Rolls Royce & Bentley where price is no object and customer satisfaction is everything. When the time comes, I think I will go that way. Just my opinion.
This was a factor in why I went with the Avon.

2009 Vulcan Custom SE

Add ons:
Black Crash bar
AVON VENOM 200 rear tire
Completely Debaffeled

My Bike :

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 01:18 AM

Never mind that its a much better tire??? LOL,,, I also went with the Avon on many recommendations from trusted friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0683.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	3255  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode