Air filter help needed BAK - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Air filter help needed BAK

My new BAK leaks oil out the bottom ....Should I reroute the vent line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
check your oil level and make sure it's not too high. most people say adding the amount the book calls for causes the leak over. mine had it... then i lower the level a bit so it was still above the bottom line of the sight glass... haven't checked it again in a while but that's about all you can do, other than reroute it.

'02 Drifter 1500
... just an awesome ride!

'08 Custom-ized
Candy Lime Green
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Top Contributor

You can do that, but I found that routing the PCV line from the crankcase up to the spline of the frame and back down into the shock area and then put an aftermarket filter on the line. Since then, I"ve never worried about oil in the air filter again. Haven't seen any oil dropping out onto my floor either. Heck, the very act of running the line up to the spline and back down again might be enough to cause the oil to separate from the air pulses and drop back into the crank instead of the filter which is just about a direct shot across.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Top Contributor

I wouldn't bother relocating the vent line. Just make sure you don't overfill next oil change.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:14 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big "E" View Post
My new BAK leaks oil out the bottom ....Should I reroute the vent line?
Did you spray the K&N filter with filter oil before installing the BAK?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I figured (I'm sure) I put too much oil in last time, and I
immediately went on a 600 mile freeway high speed (80+) dash followed by 1400 miles of the skyline parkway to the Blue ridge, to Maggie Valley, to the Dragon's tail, and back to Atlanta...The bike has 4500 miles on it now, and I did the front scootworks pulley before the trip, along with the holes in the baffle and the BAK.....I just ordered Cobra 2 int 1's, their fuel/ecu unit, and the scootworks rear pulley ...AND new tires, as I scrubbed them pretty good running with guys half my age through the twisties!
Metzlers, rear pulley, new pipes and Cobra fueler are in the mail....ready for the next big ride!
While I have the tank off, I'll install an air-oil separator on the vent line (experimental aircraft part) and put a lot less oil in it! Running Rotella-T

Corbin seat
Crash bars and pegs
leather bags and sissy bar to strap pack on
Pulley (s)
Bat-wing fairing
12v outlet on bars for GPS with weather radar and Rush Limbaugh
Cobra 2 into 1 HP pipe and Cobra fuel control
Paid 5400 at 2500 miles ...now stopped counting, but still 12k cheaper than the Street Glide I was looking at!
Next Bike will be a BMW GS set up for touring.......this last ride showed me what I relally need/want, and it ain't the Harley! The 900 will do just fine for a while...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big "E" View Post
Thanks for the replies. I figured (I'm sure) I put too much oil in last time, and I
immediately went on a 600 mile freeway high speed (80+) dash followed by 1400 miles of the skyline parkway to the Blue ridge, to Maggie Valley, to the Dragon's tail, and back to Atlanta...The bike has 4500 miles on it now, and I did the front scootworks pulley before the trip, along with the holes in the baffle and the BAK.....I just ordered Cobra 2 int 1's, their fuel/ecu unit, and the scootworks rear pulley ...AND new tires, as I scrubbed them pretty good running with guys half my age through the twisties!
Metzlers, rear pulley, new pipes and Cobra fueler are in the mail....ready for the next big ride!
While I have the tank off, I'll install an air-oil separator on the vent line (experimental aircraft part) and put a lot less oil in it! Running Rotella-T

Corbin seat
Crash bars and pegs
leather bags and sissy bar to strap pack on
Pulley (s)
Bat-wing fairing
12v outlet on bars for GPS with weather radar and Rush Limbaugh
Cobra 2 into 1 HP pipe and Cobra fuel control
Paid 5400 at 2500 miles ...now stopped counting, but still 12k cheaper than the Street Glide I was looking at!
Next Bike will be a BMW GS set up for touring.......this last ride showed me what I relally need/want, and it ain't the Harley! The 900 will do just fine for a while...
Couldn't agree with you more. It's my in-town bike. The engine noise at speed just wears me out on long rides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode