underglow/ accent lighting/ leds - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

underglow/ accent lighting/ leds

I've seen it around a few times out here in cali usually on sport bikes or road kings used to think it looked extremely tacky, now I'm just thinking hey I saw that guy . I'm strongly considering something not an overkill but something. what are your all thoughts? Heres the only 900 I seem to be able to find with it:

and then the hypercharger idea I really dig

Last edited by VicFlo; 09-24-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:14 PM

Garage
I ride at night quite often. I've added reflective tape to my jackets and vest, and I really like the LED lights. It's visibility that isn't too boring, therefore more likely to get their attention at night. Really when it comes down to it, I'd rather drive by someone who thought it looked tacky one night, then be hit by them because they didn't see me. LED lighting is one of the top three items on my to do list

dum vita est spes est - While there's life, there's hope
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:20 PM

The sad thing is that it's unlawful almost everywhere.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:25 PM

Garage
Funny as many cars as I see with those things on them I never thought to actually check the motor vehicle codes lol. I'll have to do that before I cough up more money for something I might not be able to use.

dum vita est spes est - While there's life, there's hope
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Im trying to find the law in ca saying you can't considering theres a lot you're not supposed to do here. I've honestly found nothing except saying if its projected rear ward it has to be red if its projected forward it has to be white to yellow. All other light may not project further than 75 feet on the surface.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 PM

As far as I have researched it is illegal in almost all states. Some states allow yellow, and white.

Dumb law but heavily enforced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicFlo View Post
Im trying to find the law in ca saying you can't considering theres a lot you're not supposed to do here. I've honestly found nothing except saying if its projected rear ward it has to be red if its projected forward it has to be white to yellow. All other light may not project further than 75 feet on the surface.
There are thousands of stories on the Web of people getting tickets in California for underlighting. It seems the laws can be manipulated in all states to make it unlawful.

Last edited by hailrazer; 09-24-2010 at 08:38 PM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 LTD; 1996 Kawasaki ZX9R Ninja; 1993 Kawasaki ZR-1100 (now 1322 cc)
Displacement/CC's: 2000 cc; 900 cc; 1322 cc
I am not sure recessed lighting is going to add any safety from being hit. I would think you'd have to put direct beam lighting, as in on the surface of the bike, to have enhanced safety effects.

So let's just call this what it is: bling. It is just something to get people to look at your bike. I would like to put something like an LED/neon string/tube inside the grill of my truck, maybe in the wheel wells, etc. I am not sure about my bike, though.

Now, as far as looks, I think the right colors to accent your paint would look fabulous. Best thing I have found for safety is a pulsating tail lamp and a pulsating head lamp. And maybe some driving lights.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:50 PM

Garage
I do like the look of those blue LEDs, and thought about adding them too, but we can't here in Minnesota. I read you can have anything you want on there, as long as the bike is parked. Not when moving however!

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.64

169.64 PROHIBITED LIGHTS; EXCEPTIONS.

Subd. 2.Colored light.
Unless otherwise authorized by the commissioner of public safety, no vehicle shall be equipped, nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device displaying a red light or any colored light other than those required or permitted in this chapter.

Subd. 4.Blue light.
  1. (a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) to (d), blue lights are prohibited on all vehicles except road maintenance equipment and snow removal equipment operated by or under contract to the state or a political subdivision thereof.
  2. (b) Authorized emergency vehicles may display flashing blue lights to the rear of the vehicle as a warning signal in combination with other lights permitted or required by this chapter. In addition, authorized emergency vehicles may display, mounted on the passenger side only, flashing blue lights to the front of the vehicle as a warning signal in combination with other lights permitted or required by this chapter.
  3. (c) A motorcycle may display a blue light of up to one-inch diameter as part of the motorcycle's rear brake light.
  4. (d) A motor vehicle may display a blue light of up to one-inch diameter as part of the vehicle's rear brake light if:
    • (1) the vehicle is a collector vehicle, as described in section 168.10; or
    • (2) the vehicle is eligible to display a collector plate under section 168.10.

Poot.

'09 900LT
—Mustang Wide Studded Touring Seat
—Metz ME 880s
—Irons In The Fire lowers
—Küry Iso Grips w/Throttle Boss
...and a bunch of other little stuff
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 10:20 PM

best info I can find in Florida is you can run with these lights on as long as they are not blue.

PS: I have the 5 of the red pods on my SE and my son has 6 green pods on his FZ6R, we have both ridden with them on and neither of us have been stopped or questioned by the police or troopers.

2016 Indian Dark Horse Chief w/Distressed tan leather
2010 VN 900 Custom SE Tourer
F&S SE Back Rest w/3" extensions
Roadkrome Sturgis Hardbags
Corbin Dual Tourer
Turn Signals w/Smoke Covers
Genmar Risers
Black Mirrors
Black 09 SE Pipes Stage 2 De-baffle
Blacked-Out Handlebar Controls
2008 HD FLH Fairing w/stereo and 6in shield
CC Crash Bar Black
Passenger and driver Floor Boards (Chrome)
Pirelli 200 Rear&90/90 Front

USCG CWO (Ret)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 09:23 AM

Pa Lighting

Here is how the the law read in PA I did not see anything stating it is legal. But this provision could get you around any objections.

§ 4310. Motorcycle lighting.
Auxiliary lighting may be added to a motorcycle to protect the driver, including blue dot illumination, standard bulb running lights and light-emitting diode (LED) pods and strips.
(June 29, 2006, P.L.205, No.50, eff. 60 days)
2006 Amendment. Act 50 added section 4310.

just tell them it is for safety. LOL

2010 Vulcan 900 Custom SE
Kawasaki Cafe' windshield
Kuryakyn front Axel Caps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode