Help a newbie be seen! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Help a newbie be seen!

Just bought a 2010 green & beige Vulcan 900 Classic LT. After losing my left leg and almost being killed while riding a motorcycle in 2009, I can't shift regular street bikes and my prosthetic won't bend far enough to comfortably ride. The forward controls of the Vulcan allows me to shift and keep my leg forward enough to ride again. Yea!!:

Since the lady that t-boned me with her SUV said she didn't see me, I thought about getting a light bar. When scanning the Kawasaki web site, I saw the EOM solution...until I saw the warning that the lights could drain the battery!

Does anyone have the Kawasaki light bar and have they experienced a drain? Is there enough alternator to handle it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortermervic View Post
Just bought a 2010 green & beige Vulcan 900 Classic LT. After losing my left leg and almost being killed while riding a motorcycle in 2009, I can't shift regular street bikes and my prosthetic won't bend far enough to comfortably ride. The forward controls of the Vulcan allows me to shift and keep my leg forward enough to ride again. Yea!!:

Since the lady that t-boned me with her SUV said she didn't see me, I thought about getting a light bar. When scanning the Kawasaki web site, I saw the EOM solution...until I saw the warning that the lights could drain the battery!

Does anyone have the Kawasaki light bar and have they experienced a drain? Is there enough alternator to handle it?
I would suggest the Cobra light bar, it has a seperate on / off switch on the bracket and you can wire it into the accessory hook up inside the headlight, dont know much about the OEM light bar, the cobra maybe a little less in price. the quality and chrome on the cobra is good, one thing about the OEM stuff is that it sure is pricey.

Check cruisercustomising.com meancycles.com and cheapcycles.com for pricing.

cheers Maurice

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 PM

Welcome!

Glad you're back in the saddle!!

In addition to the light bar, which will NOT affect your battery if properly installed, I'd humbly suggest a headlight modulator. I've "seen" them on various bikes in these parts, and they're pretty effective in getting you noticed from the front.

There's also a post on the Gadget site detailing upgrading your headlight lamp to a somewhat brighter (and probably slightly illegal) bulb. I have not looked into this to see if this will work with a 900 - but the article is worth reading, and the site is worth browsing.

Here's the link: http://www.gadgetjq.com/headlight_replacement.htm

Good luck!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 11:17 PM

Welcome morter I feel your pain after being in some what similar accident,sorry about the loss of the leg.New a guy that lost both legs & he still road a Harley but my Dad had to help him lift it once when he dropped it in a drive threw bank.

I have the wally world lights on my bike & a modulator plus extra blinker running lights (led) on the shield.Have over 8,000 miles on it like that will see if the stater bites the big one if it does I'll just replace it(its the weak link on this bike).Would like to get a AGM battery next year

http://www.batterystuff.com/batteryS...006&m=1#result

06 Vulcan 900 classic-Totaled

Vance & Hines staggered, PC3, K&N in stock opened up box, Darkside

Over & out
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Top Contributor

I would recommend the OEM light bar. The OEM has a separate on/off switch as well. It comes with a relay so you can install properly and so far no issues with batterie going low on mine. The OEM is top quality product, a bit more expensive but in my opinion worth it. Cobra was my second option and is a great product as well. Oh, almost forgot... LOUD pipes do safe lifes.

Gitty Up & Go!

2007 VN 900 Custom modifications:
Corbin Young Guns Saddle*OEM Classic Gel Flame Saddle (when 2up)*OEM Light Bar*National Cycles Shield*OEM Ribbed Handlebar Grips*OEM Classic Rear Fender*PC III*V&H SCS Pipes (Modified)*Comet Milled BAK*Engine Guard*Genmar Risers*Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail Light*Kury Magnum Plus Mirrors*Kury Cruise Control*Upgraded Horn*Metzler 90/90/21*Avon Venom 200/70/15*Both SW Pulleys.

Last edited by V Twin; 09-23-2010 at 11:59 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:44 AM

New Moon Shinez White LED Driving Lights? Turn Signals

I do not know if the vn900 has the same signal lights that the vn750 and 1500 do. If it does, these New Moon Shinez White LED Driving Lights / Turn Signals give you driving lights that blink off to act as signals, and fit in the OEM signal housings. Much less $$$ than Ma Kawi`s lightbar too. I do not know if they project as much light as a regular lightbar though.

The GEN-18-A-1157 fit the 750. It is found about 4 items below the lightbar picture. You will need clear or smoked lenses too.
http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm

They also have a 48 LED that will fit the rear signals for Run/Turn/Brake lights. It is a 2" cluster, but a Dremel tool will trim it to fit in the 1.8" space between the lens screw bosses.

You might want to consider going to a HID headlight as discussed in this thread from the vn750.com forum
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15036

Pay particular attention to lance328`s info in his posts.

The Ebay link for the recommended HID conversion kit is in lance`s post number 8.
This second generation 6000K kit is their brightest.

These mods will make you much more noticeable without over taxing the electrical system.
All the LEDs even cut back on the power draw.

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 09-24-2010 at 12:47 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Dealer is giving me a good price on OEM light bar, doesn't sound as if Kawasaki's caution about draining battery while operating is founded - as long as other accessories are not added as well.

Just bought a 3M neon yellow jacket to wear in the city. Seems to get recognition as well - inexpensive too!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 08:30 AM

My experience is with the Cobra Light Bar, wired to the High Beams.

I have not had any battery issues. Have blown the fuse twice. Once due to my hand washing of the bike, and moving the un-protected switch on the Cobra in contact with the ground. Second time, was recently. Coming home thru the woods in NH, switching back and forth frequently between high and low beams. Not fun driving by the light of the blinkers....

That said, during the day, I can readily tell if I have the highs on, or not, by the way vehicles "treat" me. IMHO, a Lite Bar should be the first addition to every bike.

However, people using cell phones are still our biggest "enemy". No matter what, some people just can't multi-task.

Three of us, riding stagger, front two with lite bars on. Front guy has already lost his leg to a MC crash. Approaching an intersection with lights, only road is on our left, we had a long green. Just as we get there, women on phone, that had been in our view and stopped for awhile, took a left on the Red. Topping it off, she had a kid in a car seat.

Just my thoughts, but I gotta believe the technology is there to stop a moving phone from texting, and to limit the duration of conversations/not allow switching of a conversation to a new "cell".
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 08:33 AM

BTW, I have read a few times about people using a relay, when adding the lite bar.

Anyone done this ? Can you provide a part #, or link ?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckoach View Post
BTW, I have read a few times about people using a relay, when adding the lite bar.

Anyone done this ? Can you provide a part #, or link ?
Try this link:
http://www.gadgetjq.com/wiredrivinglights.htm

A 12v relay is pretty easy to figure out....if you get a shove in the right direction. All you're doing...mostly, is controlling high(er) current devices...like lights and such, with those itty-bitty little switches you have on your handlebar.
There's lots of other applications and several basic types of relays out there....but if you have a good diagram it's mostly plug and play.

There's several posts out there for lighting tricks and traps.

Good Luck!

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode