2hr trip=sore butt!! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

2hr trip=sore butt!!

Took a trip to the Daniel Boone National Forest here in Kentucky. I learned somethings today, first my bike had no trouble keeping up with my friends bigger bikes under 75mph and second my rear end has been sore ever since.
the seat has to go, I just got the bike this year and this was the first time out on the interstate.
The trip was around two hours worth of riding, and I won't do it again until I replace the seat.
Are there any seats out there reasonably priced, say under $250? I've seen some nice mustang seats, but man they're expensive.

Sorry, didn't get any pictures but as soon as I get a tool bag I'll get some pics the Natural Bridge are is really nice this time of year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:41 PM

Just went thru the same thing at 35 miles I started hurting and at 45 I was miserable. The Kaw Gel seat is about 240$ but reviews are mixed on weather it's enough better to be worth it. Everybody raves about the mustang and I found it for 350$ I paid 380$ for the Studded version. You sit a little more upright which I like but on short rides its only a little better.
The true test will be Sunday Ill take it out for a long ride If it gets ride of the soreness Ill let you know. It really pisses me of that on a brand new bike I have to go spend 380$ on a decent seat the know their seat sucks and yet they don't fix it.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 11:48 PM

Kawasaki's Gel Seats for the VN900 start at around $260 on the Kawi website. I've read a few forums in which the gel seats were a definite upgrade over stock. Myself, I went with the Mustang Wide Touring Seat. It gives my passenger a nice thickly padded 12" wide pillion as well as upgrading the pad thickness and "backrest" for me. The riding position is an inch or two more forward and higher. The backrest from the nose of the passenger pillion rely helps on long rides. I can push back and stretch my spine while riding, I'm 6'-1" too. Mustang Seat was about $370 plus shipping from http://www.westendmotorsports.com

'11 1700 Nomad Candy Neptune Blue/Metallic Phantom Silver
Bikes I've owned over the years:
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
1980 Yamaha XS750 Special
1978 Honda CB400
1975 Honda SL125
Memories of what never was become the good old days....

Last edited by MRSPOCK; 09-18-2010 at 11:50 PM.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardHead View Post
Took a trip to the Daniel Boone National Forest here in Kentucky. I learned somethings today, first my bike had no trouble keeping up with my friends bigger bikes under 75mph and second my rear end has been sore ever since.
the seat has to go, I just got the bike this year and this was the first time out on the interstate.
The trip was around two hours worth of riding, and I won't do it again until I replace the seat.
Are there any seats out there reasonably priced, say under $250? I've seen some nice mustang seats, but man they're expensive.

Sorry, didn't get any pictures but as soon as I get a tool bag I'll get some pics the Natural Bridge are is really nice this time of year.
I have a new Kawa Flame-Stitched Gel seat for sale- I hate it! I did 3 hours on Saturday and decided it wasn't for me. Maybe it will fit you better.

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 07:12 AM

Here is what works for me. I have the Mustang Daytripper seat which is huge. I also wear bike shorts under my jeans. It may seem funny - but it works. I can ride for hours without much discomfort. Before - 30-40 minutes and the soreness starts.

I bought my seat used for about $170 on ebay - so keep an eye out for deals.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rog_rides_again
Mustang all the way...Just got back last night from a 1722 km trip and 1000 of those kms was done friday. 14 hours in the saddle and it worked great.. mind you your body gets sore after that long but there is no soreness at all in the tail bone like the stock seat. I could jump back on today and not feel one bit sore. you have to spend the money for the comfort or you will never be happy. It weighs almost double what a stock seat weighs so you know there is quality there.. Hope this helps

Roger
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic
Candy Plasma Blue
switch blade windshield W/70-q205 mounting kit
backrest
luggage rack
saddle bags-california classic 100 series 7"x18"x11"
part # 55-bm146a
custom world chrome lowers
stock pipes w/baffle drilled and plug removed
mustang vintage wide touring seat #76127
cobra passenger floor boards
front scootworks pulley
Rear scootworks pulley
windshield bag
12 volt power supply
engine guard
Kensun HID headlight kit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Top Contributor

I would suggest that before you spend the money, try to figure out what it is about the stock seat that affects your butt. For me it was the round curve from the back to the bottom of the seat, my tailbone was killing me, the Mustang solved that for me, but if thats not where your pain is then that might not be the seat for you. Russell Day Long make a very comfortable looking seat also.

Screw it! Lets Ride
'08' 900 Custom

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

I will second the comments from Rog Rides Again. I have tried the AirHawk pillow, which helped tremendously on my recent 2700 mile ride out west, but have just upgraded to a used Mustang Touring seat and find that all my soreness has disappeared with the mustang. Now I will be putting the AirHawk up for sale in the near future as I don't need it anymore. Should have gone with the Mustang in the first place.....
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:38 AM

Check eBay fall and winter for deals on Mustang seats. I bought mine last fall for well under summer pricing. As I recall it was like a 20% discount.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 AM

Wow, I'm surprised. I have no butt at all (my nickname at work is "No Ass") and I can ride my Custom for 2 hours without a problem.

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode