Should I have bought a 1700 or 2000 instead? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Should I have bought a 1700 or 2000 instead?

Hi guys, this is my first post. I bought a new 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic about 3 months ago. This is my first bike ever and I have nothing to compare it to. Well, when I was at the dealership looking, I sat on the 900 and could step flat footed and that made me feel confident. The 1700 was 1.5 inches taller and 100+ pounds heavier. I could NOT step flat footed and it seemed much more difficult to get to stand the bike up, so the choice of the 900 was made. I only have 350 miles so far on the 900 and while I enjoy it, the wife has a problem with it. She has very long legs and can only ride with me for short spurts before cramps get to her because the foot pegs are close to the seat. Should I reconsider a 1700 (1.5 inches taller) or a 2000 ( same height ironically, but HEAVY)? I could always sell the 900 outright but I am sure I would take a pretty decent loss. Any suggestions for a first time rider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lee View Post
Hi guys, this is my first post. I bought a new 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic about 3 months ago. This is my first bike ever and I have nothing to compare it to. Well, when I was at the dealership looking, I sat on the 900 and could step flat footed and that made me feel confident. The 1700 was 1.5 inches taller and 100+ pounds heavier. I could NOT step flat footed and it seemed much more difficult to get to stand the bike up, so the choice of the 900 was made. I only have 350 miles so far on the 900 and while I enjoy it, the wife has a problem with it. She has very long legs and can only ride with me for short spurts before cramps get to her because the foot pegs are close to the seat. Should I reconsider a 1700 (1.5 inches taller) or a 2000 ( same height ironically, but HEAVY)? I could always sell the 900 outright but I am sure I would take a pretty decent loss. Any suggestions for a first time rider?
Measure the peg to passenger seat height for the 1700, my 900 with a mustang seat is 19.5 inches, just measured it.

The mustang seat is higher than stock , longer than stock, wider than stock and lipped at the front to reduce forward slide.

Do you have passenger pegs or floorboards, floorboards allow foot movement forward, pegs do not.

The weight of any bike disappears when moving at speed, (with in reason) its in the parking lots, driveways, tight spaces etc where it is noticable, add 2 people, gear and all of a sudden its a 1000 lb plus ride .. in some cases more, i pull a trailer with my 900, loaded i am somewhere around 1200lb plus 2 up with the trailer and gear.

Bike 640 lbs wet
us 300 lbs total
tlr 130 lbs
gear 150 lbs
cooler 30 lbs

While the other bikes may be taller, that may only affect you and the passenger seat to peg ratio may be the same as the 900.

A new bike with a financial hit may not be neccessary, maybe just a few aftermarket accessories, i feel your pain, if momma aint happy ... aint nobody happy

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

Last edited by whiting57; 09-13-2010 at 10:45 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 AM
Top Contributor

Something like this, maybe?
http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...D/122/IMID/782

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 AM

Greets and Welcome to the Forum!

I'd try floorboards and a better seat first if I were you for a couple of reasons...some of which are already well stated above:

1. The price difference between a V2K and a 900 is $6750... It's $4950 for the 1700 - comparing MSRPs on the LT models. The math isn't exact, since you currently have a Classic, and there's slightly more markup on the more expensive (LT) models - but $6750 is only a few hundred less than I paid for my new '09 900LT OTD.

2. If you're DARNED lucky, you'll "only" take about a $2000 ding in selling your "new" 900 for another bike. Add that to the cost delta of the NEW (or used?) bike, and you'll see that "clubbing up" at this point “might” be kinda expensive...depending on your financial situation.

3. You only have 350 miles on your first ever bike. No disrespect intended to your riding abilities - but I think I'd get a little more saddle time in before clubbing up to a 1700 or a 2000 - if for no other reason than a 900 will be cheaper to operate, insure and repair if you drop the bike, or if some cretin tries to use you as a speed bump, or makes a left hand turn in front of you.

Hey.....it's YOUR ride, and as they say in the MSF classes, YOU have to ride YOUR ride...but you asked for opinions...

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Last edited by ETC(SS); 09-14-2010 at 08:23 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Top Contributor

900 vs V2K

I have both bikes in my garage right now and if you are a newer rider I would definitely NOT recommend the V2K, especially if you are riding with a taller passenger. The V2K is a handful, weight wise and REALLY easy to tip over. The best way to give your passenger some more leg room is to upgrade the seat to allow her to move back on the bike. The OEM backrest and luggage rack gives lots of room to roam. Another option, suggested earlier, is to put running boards on. I took the next step and put 2into1 pipes on the bike as well, freeing up another 4 inches to drop the passenger pegs. There are only a couple of inches difference in the wheelbase of the big bikes and the 900s anyway. I think it is more about how you use the space you have.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 AM

I would first invest in a set of passanger floor boards. My wife had the same problem with the stock pegs, sore joints and cramping. THe floor boards solved those issues so try them first before taking a large loss on selling or trading a "new bike".
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:26 AM

Agree with what everyone is saying about the seat and floorboards. I have added a Mustang seat and passenger backrest to my 900, and bought passenger floorboards with the bike. My wife and my sons say it is very comfortable.

A nightmare for you would be to take a financial beating trading up only to find your wife's experience is the same on a 1700 or 2k.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:32 AM

The suggestions above of the Mustang seat is spot-on. It'll raise you, the driver, up an inch or two, and will raise the passenger up double that. Here are a couple pics to give you an idea...note the second pic illustrates a significant increase in heighth for the passenger. In fact, I'm still acclimating to the difference in the center of gravity it has now when riding two-up.

( Used to have: )
'08 Vulcan 900 Custom:
*Passion Red *Mustang One-Piece Vintage Seat
*Hard-Krome 2.5" Strippers with Smartpartz Hard Kore Baffles
*Cobra Short Sissybar, Pad & Insert *Leatherworks 312 Chopper Bag *Small/Med. Windshield
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate the tips on the floorboards, seat, and physical aspect of the larger bikes. I have learned over the years that you can't beat experience and that's where this site is so helpful. I will keep my bike and get some seat time with it. Now, if I can find a windshield, backrest, and floorboards for it. If anyone knows of anything for sale or a good place to purchase, please let me know. Bill Braske, thanks for the site on the foot pegs/floorboards. I may consider buying those.

Happy riding

Larry
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 03:36 PM

Its all price to mee 1700 to 2000 doesnt seem like that big of a difference if the price doesnt hurt you Id go big if you can handle it I ride a 900 custom and my brother bought the 1700 warrior and to tell you the truth He is alot heavier guy than I am and I keep up with him perfectly theres not a whole lot of difference till you get on the highway at really high speeds past 90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode